Had to travel to unfriendly territory

This is a discussion on Had to travel to unfriendly territory within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had to travel last min. back to Connecticut for a family emergency this past week (everything worked out ok). It was a very strange ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Had to travel to unfriendly territory

I had to travel last min. back to Connecticut for a family emergency this past week (everything worked out ok). It was a very strange experience for me to go back there after living down here where I actually have 2nd amendment rights. There was no possible way I could carry or bring a weapon with me so I went through the experience of locking everything up in my safe before I left and I just got a pit in my stomach. Since I started carrying I've had a bit of a strange feeling and some unnecessary concerns about getting in trouble for doing it just because of where I come from and the change in mentality. I can honestly say that now that I'm home its a tremendous relief to be able to carry again after being disarmed. Moral of the story, I'm never leaving home with out my weapon again, PERIOD!

Never do like going behind the curtain, myself. Hate to be reminded there are gulag states that don't respect Constitutional law and principles.

Look on the bright side, though. It's a sure-fire opportunity to test out those awareness skills, remaining circumspect about situations and potential landmines out there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I hear ya. I'm from NY and have friends and family in NY and CT.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I've been lucky and haven't had that happen. My Wife always wants to travel. Whenever she suggests a State I can't carry in I tell her, I don't do Communist States.

Pro
    Interestingly, a CT carry permit isn't hard to get. CT pretty much behaves as a shall issue state. I've never bothered, since I'm usually only passing through to NJ.
    Minimum government, maximum freedom.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member
    Comm2A - Member

VIP Member
    I have yet another trip to Maryland coming up soon. We have family there who we love dearly, but going to see them just keeps becoming more and more difficult for me. My wife has a hard time understanding my aversion for the state, and it saddens me too much to try to explain it to her.
    "Preparation and mindset are everything. Allowing one's mouth to write checks that one's butt is unable or unwilling to cash is foolish."

I'm going to Seattle in a few weeks, Washington state just keboshed CCW reciprocity with Florida. Legal marijuana but restrict your 2nd Amendment rights...not smart Washington.
    Gabill, PhaedrusIV and bigpapa like this.

Distinguished Member Array PhaedrusIV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FLDawg View Post
    I'm going to Seattle in a few weeks, Washington state just keboshed CCW reciprocity with Florida. Legal marijuana but no 2nd Amendment rights...not smart Washington.
    No kidding.

But what could POSSIBLY go wrong ???
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

I just went to the Post Office to mail a certified letter, and I broke out in a sweat as I made sure I had removed all weapons from my person before entering. Once you get used to the feeling of being armed, going out without a weapon.......just sucks.
    Haywood likes this.
    "Said I never had any use for one.....never said I didn't know how to use it. " Matthew Quiqley

I hope that was a joke. ^

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR202 View Post
    I hope that was a joke. ^
    Would a character from a Gary Trudeau comic strip joke you?
    "Preparation and mindset are everything. Allowing one's mouth to write checks that one's butt is unable or unwilling to cash is foolish."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Would a character from a Gary Trudeau comic strip joke you?
    I was never big on Doonesbury. :)

I just can't imagine breaking out into a sweat because I had to disarm to walk into a post office. The last time I broke a sweat unrelated to physical movement was an intense brain freeze from a blue slushie my kid had. I've had 4 spinal taps and a burst appendix and it ranks right up there with them!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I have yet another trip to Maryland coming up soon. We have family there who we love dearly, but going to see them just keeps becoming more and more difficult for me. My wife has a hard time understanding my aversion for the state, and it saddens me too much to try to explain it to her.

If you are anywhere near central MD hit me up for a cup of Joe or even to sling some lead, love meeting forum members.....
    Mike1956 and bigpapa like this.

Distinguished Member Array bigpapa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FLDawg View Post
    I'm going to Seattle in a few weeks, Washington state just keboshed CCW reciprocity with Florida. Legal marijuana but restrict your 2nd Amendment rights...not smart Washington.

I'm in the Tacoma area and it's not too bad, at least you can conceal and always OC but I don't, good luck and be safe.

Distinguished Member Array bigpapa's Avatar
    Oh okay so I guess that WA don't honor FL permit but you can OC. Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links