5 Years and 8 months

5 Years and 8 months

This is a discussion on 5 Years and 8 months within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't been stopped for at least 5 years, and then it was because I had a headlight out. I have been CC for about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: 5 Years and 8 months

5 Years and 8 months

I haven't been stopped for at least 5 years, and then it was because I had a headlight out. I have been CC for about 8 months now and was stopped today.

I did a bonehead move, and pulled out from a yield sign in front of a SO Deputy. Then as I turned a short block later forgot to signal. So as i parked he pulled up behind me with lights flashing.

I took my CCL and DL out of my breast pocket, rolled down both front windows, shut off the van and placed the keys on the dash. I then kept my hands on wheel. When he approached me i told him i was a CCL holder and was armed. (No Duty to inform in KS, I just did out of courtesy, LEO jobs are hard enough) Told him where the firearm was and he thought for a minute, and just said to leave it there. He looked over both my licenses and basically just said i would just get a warning. He then asked what i thought about the constitutional carry law and we had a short visit about it. I couldn't really tell what he thought about. He then handed my CCL back and went to finish.

I had my kids in the back seat and was picking my wife up downtown. Just had the entire downtown gawking at us It was a very positive encounter given the circumstances.

Just thought I would share my encounter with the LEO kind.
    msgt/ret, ccw9mm, OD* and 17 others like this.
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

Distinguished Member
    You did everything the right way. So did the LEO. Good encounter for all I'd say.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    Great encounter and a warning too .
    Member of the NRA
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you want to destroy something .

I think as more and more people are getting their permits as they are in Missouri, police are finding it more of a routine encounter.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Plan Z: Hope for the best.

It is good to see, the increasing comfort level. I'm sure LEO's are generally highly on-guard with any encounter, given the general prevalence. But it's not as though the increasing number of GG's carrying has fundamentally altered the number of BG's in possession.

Kudos to the LEO in question, and the department's training.

Hopefully all such encounters can be as smooth and "BP-free" as this one turned out to be.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If I were the LEO, I would have tazed you, Bro. Just to be on the safe side. /sarc off

Well done by all parties involved.
    techieccw, drift, RickyD and 5 others like this.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Distinguished Member
    Easy stop for him and you. Did the kids learn anything?
    CalCarry and mano3 like this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

You did good, Be polite and admit when you make a mistake. The kids will remember that. For a long time. Of course they'd remember daddy being tased even longer.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

I had the same thing happen twice once in Fairport NY and Once in East Rochester Ny on my way to work. In E. Rochester I was doing 45 in a 35 in Fairport I had a head light out...both times I kept my hands at 10 and 2 told the officer I was armed showed em my pistol permit and was let go...hell in Fairport the officers were admiring my pistol wanting to know where they can get one... I was let go without a ticket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    drift likes this.

Got to say that I have never been pulled over. Can you believe that lol - watch tomorrow I'll get pulled over. Anyway, with everyone in KS allowed to carry now, I can only assume that every LEO would assume you are carrying, so I doubt I would say anything about being armed unless asked directly. But that's me - I have no problem with the law - at all - but I live with an attorney, and she would be capital A Angry if I volunteered anything other than that I was asked lol. It's a curse lol.

Isn't it the law to keep your hands up or on the wheel when you are pulled over in KS now? Or is it only in Topeka??
    patri0t likes this.

VIP Member
    You should take your family and friends and sit down in the middle of the busiest intersection in your city and then challenge and swear at the LEO's when they respond...
    Member Georgia Carry

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drift View Post
    Got to say that I have never been pulled over. Can you believe that lol - watch tomorrow I'll get pulled over. Anyway, with everyone in KS allowed to carry now, I can only assume that every LEO would assume you are carrying, so I doubt I would say anything about being armed unless asked directly. But that's me - I have no problem with the law - at all - but I live with an attorney, and she would be capital A Angry if I volunteered anything other than that I was asked lol. It's a curse lol.

Isn't it the law to keep your hands up or on the wheel when you are pulled over in KS now? Or is it only in Topeka??
    If its a law its one of many I had no idea about.

Good to hear it worked out and you didn't get a ticket. I let them know I have a CCW and the location. I would rather be upfront with them and put all the cards on the table. If they don't know before they walk up to the window, I'm sure they will find out when they run the DL.
    drift and techieccw like this.

VIP Member
    We were taught (by LEO) in our permit class to keep our hands on the wheel at 10 and 2 so the officer can SEE THEM and we do not look threatening. And of course, have the driver's license (and carry permit possibly), registration and insurance card in the hand closest to the window.... Law or not, I think it's a good idea.
    drift, ks kid and notavictim like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ks kid View Post

Good to hear it worked out and you didn't get a ticket. I let them know I have a CCW and the location. I would rather be upfront with them and put all the cards on the table. If they don't know before they walk up to the window, I'm sure they will find out when they run the DL.
    My bad - not a law - a reminder to use common sense lol.

Police officers ask motorists to show hands during vehicle stops | CJOnline.com
    ks kid and techieccw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ks kid View Post

That was my thought considering it is the same number.
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links