Self-Defence Guidelines/FYI

This is a discussion on Self-Defence Guidelines/FYI within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you are involved in a shooting incident, and there is no longer a threat, the steps below should be taken. (1) SECURE THE ASSAILANT'S ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Self-Defence Guidelines/FYI

If you are involved in a shooting incident, and there is no longer a threat, the steps below should be taken.

(1) SECURE THE ASSAILANT'S WEAPON: check yourself for injuries. Make a complete check of the scene, but don't tamper with evidence.
    If no longer a threat try to help the person shot. Don't talk to him or use abusive language. If the assailant appears to be dead, don't touch him. Don't let anyone else handle any evidence.

(2) CALL 911 AS SOON A POSSIBLE. ASK FOR EMERGENCY MEDICAL ASSISTANCE: Tell them what happened and at your location. Don't give too many details of the incident over the phone. Put your weapon away, and keep it out of sight. Try to spot the police first and attract them in a non-threatening manner. They may treat you like a suspect especially if you have a weapon. Do as you are told. Don't question or argue with them.

(3) CALL YOUR LAWYER: He should meet you at the scene if possible. If not possible and you must meet the police by yourself explain to the police politely, (A-) What led to the shooting (assailant attacked me, my family,ect.) (B-)Tell the office you will sign a complaint and finally tell the officer( C-) You'll have my full cooperation when I've spoken to my attorney. Keep in mind that anything you say will be used against you. MAKE NO STATEMENT to anyone else.

(4) MEDICAL: When the paramedics arrive GET MEDICAL TREATMENT for shock for yourself and any other person involved whether physically
    injured or not.

(5) MEDIA: STAY AWAY FROM THE NEWS: never talk or make any statement to them. Let your attorney make any statements for you.
    The news media has NO AUTHORITY. You don't have to talk to them.

(6) LEGAL ACTIONS: Lethal force is only justified if you "FEARED FOR YOU LIFE" or that of another person. DON'T APOLOGIZE for defending yourself. Avoid statements such as "I'm sorry i had to shoot or I regret the incident happened . SUCH statements are equated with
    guilty feelings. You are remorseful, so your actions were inappropriate. Such statements can cost you later on in a court of law.

(7) STRESS: Persons involved in a shooting face a great amount of stress. Psychological and physical problems, such as sleeplessness, headaches, diarrhea, and heart problems sometimes appear. These problems are common and affect even trained police officers. If you
    encounter any of these problems, SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP.
    BadgerJ likes this.

Good advice. Thank you.
    "The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail ... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation."-- Jeff Cooper
    "The Queen is not for sale." --Jeff Cooper THE ART OF THE RIFLE

1. Secure the seen. Do not render aid to the BG. Unless bound by law to do so.

2. Call 911 give them your description, tell them someone has been shot and to send PD and EMS..

3. Call your lawyer, get the ball rolling. Listen to what he advises..

4. Maybe. If you need it get it, if not do not bother.

5. Media. Do not be rude, but decline everything.

6 Legal actions. You might spend the night in jail. Do not give a formal statement to police, but give them a start.

7. Stress. Everyone handles these emotions different. Talk with family and friends. If that does not help seek a pro....

Remember in these types of situations Less is more.
    LeanHard, OD* and AzQkr like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

8) If it happens in public with witnesses, be sure and smile for YouTube. If somebody comes up and sticks a phone in your face and asks your name just say,

"Flash, Jump'n Jack Flash".

There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516

Videos alway help too.
    Rhinoman and Rainsong like this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

I appreciate that video. Thank you for sharing that.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shield40 View Post
    If you are involved in a shooting incident, and there is no longer a threat, the steps below should be taken.

(1) SECURE THE ASSAILANT'S WEAPON: check yourself for injuries. Make a complete check of the scene, but don't tamper with evidence.
    If no longer a threat try to help the person shot. Don't talk to him or use abusive language. If the assailant appears to be dead, don't touch him. Don't let anyone else handle any evidence.

(2) CALL 911 AS SOON A POSSIBLE. ASK FOR EMERGENCY MEDICAL ASSISTANCE: Tell them what happened and at your location. Don't give too many details of the incident over the phone. Put your weapon away, and keep it out of sight. Try to spot the police first and attract them in a non-threatening manner. They may treat you like a suspect especially if you have a weapon. Do as you are told. Don't question or argue with them.

(3) CALL YOUR LAWYER: He should meet you at the scene if possible. If not possible and you must meet the police by yourself explain to the police politely, (A-) What led to the shooting (assailant attacked me, my family,ect.) (B-)Tell the office you will sign a complaint and finally tell the officer( C-) You'll have my full cooperation when I've spoken to my attorney. Keep in mind that anything you say will be used against you. MAKE NO STATEMENT to anyone else.

(4) MEDICAL: When the paramedics arrive GET MEDICAL TREATMENT for shock for yourself and any other person involved whether physically
    injured or not.

(5) MEDIA: STAY AWAY FROM THE NEWS: never talk or make any statement to them. Let your attorney make any statements for you.

(6) LEGAL ACTIONS: Lethal force is only justified if you "FEARED FOR YOU LIFE" or that of another person. DON'T APOLOGIZE for defending yourself. Avoid statements such as "I'm sorry i had to shoot or I regret the incident happened . SUCH statements are equated with
    guilty feelings. You are remorseful, so your actions were inappropriate. Such statements can cost you later on in a court of law.

(7) STRESS: Persons involved in a shooting face a great amount of stress. Psychological and physical problems, such as sleeplessness, headaches, diarrhea, and heart problems sometimes appear. These problems are common and affect even trained police officers. If you
    Respectfully. You're obviously not a lawyer or a LEO. Laws in KY are not the same as laws in other states. The use of lethal force is far different in almost every state. Find out the laws in your state. The notion that you have to be in fear for your life usually comes from that horde of legal scholars in the media. Read the laws for your state.

Securing (evidence) a weapon used against you is really bad advice. Moving evidence around is not going to work out well for you.

Treating someone you just shot doesn't buy you brownie points with the jury. It can get you killed. Call EMS and police. That's all the help you should provide.

Media learn of incidents by listening to police scanners. They won't arrive before the police.
    Sometimes it isn't being fast that counts, or even accurate; but willing. Most men will draw a breath or blink an eye before they shoot. I won't.

John Bernard Books (John Wayne) "The Shootist"

1. I am not touching the other guys weapon. I may kick it out of his reach, but I am not putting my hands on it.

2. If the person I just shot is still mobile, I am not putting my gun away. I will when the police get there and take control of the perp.

3. Depends on the circumstances whether or not I even call for an attorney.

4. If I need medical attention I will get it. If not I won't.

5. Pretty doubtful the media will be wanting to talk to me.

6. Lethal force is justified for other than if I fear for my life. Maybe not in some states, but it certainly is here.

7. Hopefully I am never involved in a shooting. If so, I will deal with what comes up afterwards at that time.
    bigmacque, Ghost1958 and Holster like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shield40 View Post

injured or not.

Where did you come up with all this? I ask only because it differs significantly from advice I have paid for from lawyers and professional trainers.
    "Preparation and mindset are everything. Allowing one's mouth to write checks that one's butt is unable or unwilling to cash is foolish."

VIP Member
    #1 Check for accomplices. It's the one you didn't notice that is gonna get you. Think of the Las Vegas couple that shot the cops then went to Wal Mart. Good guy got the thug but thugs wife got him.
    Ghost1958 and AzQkr like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Where did you come up with all this? I ask only because it differs significantly from advice I have paid for from lawyers and professional trainers.
    See post #4.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516

No, I am not a Lawyer. I found this while trying to learn what i could in the event of a shooting. I thought this might help somebody out, maybe not.
    I would like to see how this differs from what Lawyers have instructed you so we all can learn how the term 'Lethal Force" differs from state to state.
    Here is Kentucky's.
    55 Use of defensive force regarding dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle
    --
    Exceptions.
    (1)
    A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or
    great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive forc
    e that is
    intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:
    (a)
    The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of
    unlawfully and forcibly entering or had unlawfully and forcibly entered a
    dwelling, residence, or
    occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was
    attempting to remove another against that person's will from the dwelling,
    residence, or occupied vehicle; and
    (b)
    The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an
    unlawful an
    d forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had
    occurred.

I think his list is reasonable, and there are points to glean.

I would add that some experts say IF YOU CAN, have someone ELSE call 911 because if you do it, that testimony might end up in the prosecution's hands (or the defendant/BG's lawyer's hands in a civil suit).

You might even have a couple cards that you could have the friend read or a card for you to read so you don't have to rely on a panicked thought processes. You will know what you said at least and not have any retrograde amnesia blank your mind.

Do not say to much, don't talk about 'shooting someone', and ask for medical assistance for yourself because that can prevent too much questioning. 'My friend is in need of police assistance and medical assistance and the location is...'.

Now in a HD situation it's not a bad idea to have 911 on the phone so they can hear you say stuff like 'Get back, stop or I'll defend myself...' and words to that effect.

This is potentially a good discussion topic in that one should have a plan and should have thought this over ahead of time. You can't cover each exigency, but you can mitigate and make sure you don't make an exculpatory comment.

As to 'secure the assailant's weapon' he's saying, I think, that you want to make sure someone doesn't run off with it (like an accomplice), and true you want to check for other assailants before you 'stand down'. Take cover, get time and distance and don't try to 'talk your way out of it' with the cops.
    R.E.D. (Retired. Extremely. Dangerous.)

Distinguished Member Array Fizban's Avatar
    If I have to use a firearm in public, I am not going to secure any scene and I am not going to touch their weapon. If the threat has stopped being a threat then I will have removed myself from the scene to alert authorities and ems. I am not hanging around for some thugs 7 cousins 3 brothers ,wife or his friends to show up moments later to cause me problems. If safety permits, I might snap a few quick photos to include his weapon in wide frame but I am not hanging around. I will plant myself close by ( down the street) and wait for the authorities to arrive.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

I'm thinking that the (1) SECURE THE ASSAILANT'S WEAPON does not mean pick it up and stick it in your pocket. I'm thinking that if he is shot, goes to the ground and drops his weapon, while you have your gun still on him and he's not moving much, you move his weapon out of his reach so that he cant use it again. I would not touch it but take a foot and move it out of reach? All im trying to do is think this thru with YOU, were in the boat together and can help one another.
    Rainsong likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links