VA CCW holder list published in Roanoke Times - Page 4

VA CCW holder list published in Roanoke Times

This is a discussion on VA CCW holder list published in Roanoke Times within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess this was inevitable, the BGs are already talking about it: Using published Concealed Carry Permitholder lists for gunshopping? http://www.totse.com/bbs/Forum7/HTML/027351.html Warning: abusive language!...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: VA CCW holder list published in Roanoke Times

VIP Member
    I guess this was inevitable, the BGs are already talking about it:

Using published Concealed Carry Permitholder lists for gunshopping?
    http://www.totse.com/bbs/Forum7/HTML/027351.html

Warning: abusive language!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    There are good reasons the records are open to public scrutiny. People might like to know if their neighbors carry. Parents might like to know if a member of the car pool has a pistol in the glove box. Employers might like to know if employees are bringing weapons to the office.
    And criminals might like to know who to target to steal guns from, you

Man, some people are really stupid!

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    I sent the following letter to the editor of the Roanoke Times last night:

Since Mr. Trejbal has done the criminal element in Virginia a great service by publishing the names and addresses of all of the Concealed Handgun Permit holders in the state, I thought he wouldn't mind if I published his address and the fact that he is most likely not armed and would be an easy target. It seems like only the right thing to do.

Here it is.

CHRISTIAN J TREJBAL
    675 SCHOOL LN
    CHRISTIANSBURG, VA 24073

Just a note. If I or my family become victims due to the malicious use of this list, I will OWN your newspaper (such as it is), and Mister Trejbal will be taking a very long walk. Shame on you for being so irresponsible.

sincerely,
    XXXXX XXXXXX
    (you have my address, it's on the list)
    XXXXXXXXXXX, VA
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I love how he equates CHL holders with sex offenders.

Sounds like a "genius" reporter!! Steve48

+1000...

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    You've got the right idea ... almost. Take any and all info you can gather on that "reporter" and take out an ad in every newspaper you can hit. If at all possible, list his name address and home phone, salary, names of family members and salary info - a work schedule would be nice too if you can get that. Let that &*%%) see how it feels to have personal, private info published in print for all to read.
    Jack

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Do you know how many ex or soon to be ex-wives I trained for CHP permits? I looked one up that I know was trying to hide from her ex after she found out he was trying to hire someone to kill her. Yep, she's there. How about the judge? The LEOs I know who got permits for reciprocity. A few lawyers as well. Personally I could give a crap, my info is out of date by two moves (VA doesn't require address updates to the permit) and I was a CHP instructor in NoVA, so hundreds of people know I carry and I worked at a local gun shop part-time so other people could do the math.

The thing I find disturbing is that if I wanted the info I would have to go to a government office in VA to request it. They would collect my identifying info and I would have to pay for it. The way it is now any felon with a computer can search this database without anyone knowing that he has the info or is accessing it. Also they don't have to physically be in Virginia. Seems a bit more than any sunshine law that was written intended.
    Plus 100!!!

People forget it is not just men who own guns at home and/or carry in general, but women too. Those women, and men, may do so for variable reasons aside from generic personal safety such as they may have a specific threat ongoing and/or wish to remain in 'stealth' mode for good reason. As well persons may be carrying at work and not wish their coworkers to know for again varying reasons. Or for that matter they may live in a neighborhood thats not as relatively safe as say McLean such as it's antihesis Richmond and wish to keep a gun in their home and/or on their persons to protect against neighbors who may be in the criminal element.
    Now with his posting any fool with internet access or who can walk into a public libray (to use open & free internet capable computers) can look up a person or whole entire neighborhoods and print off as you noted _FOR FREE!!!1_ a relatively current listing toward their target(s). Even in ccases like myself being a resident CHP holder who has moved this information can be used bread crumb style to aid in locating the targets ultimate current location, if the searcher didn't hve this information prior and decided to run a general query of it or knew that the person they seek was a gun owner.

I hope nothing sour ever comes of this list but if I were a Virginia gun owner/carrier and if ever from this day forward I find myself the target of a crime toward stealing of my firearms (e.g. MS13 who is big in VA gets wind of this information) or if an ex happened to track me down and pop up at my home out of nowhere then if I survived I'd draft a law suit against the newspaper and Mr. Trejbal forthwith identifying them as the catalyst for me being targeted and victmized.

This is just ridiculous.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

The comments section of the online editorial is no longer visible--I guess they don't want to hear from "the people".

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    The comments section of the online editorial is no longer visible--I guess they don't want to hear from "the people".
    Yeah I suspect there's just so many folks hitting the board that they couldn't handle it. Since I couldn't post back on his blog board I sent him a rather searing, but civil letter directly to his email at the paper.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Now the site is completely down...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    comments section is now empty, but the offending license search is STILL WORKING!

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Here is another article from the Roanoke Times, this time by a pro-gunner (although he admits not having a carry permit):

http://blogs.roanoke.com/wildlife/sh...ite_a_bit.html

....As I type this, the column appears to have generated 312 comments on an attached message board on our Roanoke.com site. I write "appears to" because I can't open the message board. I know Trejbal's column has gone national on shooting and hunting boards so it wouldn't surprise me if the feedback has overwhelmed our server.

As a journalist, I'm a big supporter of open government. The Freedom of Information Act helps us -- and concerned citizens -- locate information that can shed light on misdeeds of government officials. For example, a few years ago it helped expose spending misdeeds within the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries......

....Trejball is catching some heat for this passage: "Local celebrities generally don't carry, but at least a half dozen elected officials do. I'll leave it to readers to figure out which ones so you can avoid annoying them at meetings."

I think that was supposed to be funny, but if you were one of those permit-holding elected officials, what would you think about that sentence?

But this is the passage that's getting most of the attention: "A state that eagerly puts sex offender data online complete with an interactive map could easily do the same with gun permits, but it does not."

Judging by e-mail and Internet message board chatter, some concealed carry permit holders aren't too happy with the implication that they and convicted sex offenders be treated similarly, particularly since permit holders must undergo a background check to ensure they are not convicted felons, so they are pretty much on the opposite end of the criminal spectrum.....

....f you haven't already gotten burned out from posting on other boards, I'd love to hear what you all think about the topic.
    Read the rest & post a comment if you want to....comments are still working on his article...........

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post

I was reading some stuff on that website that borderlines (if it ain't already) on the criminal. Who has jurisdiciton and is watching over these guys? (Local LE/FBI?)

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    I was reading some stuff on that website that borderlines (if it ain't already) on the criminal. Who has jurisdiciton and is watching over these guys? (Local LE/FBI?)
    More than that...scary...like this post (yes I'm censoring it to a degree - otherwise the mods would remove it). I left the post in it's entirety for context, but I suspect the parts I bolded should sum it up.

You hold a CCW, you care about your RKBA rights. Good for you, have a cookie! You also have zero $$$$$$$$ business in this forum, unless you're going to pull a "I'm interested in all the criminal activity stuff EXCEPT that which might interfere with my personal ideologies" which is basically a way of saying "I am unable to deal with anything without heavily rationalizing it because I am a weakminded $$$$$."

Edited to add: You are a $$$$$$ mouth breathing inbred moron if you somehow think that anyone here speaks for "those fighting for their 2nd amendment rights." My god, that whole sentence from you was so retarded that it made my brain try to gnaw it's way to freedom in the scant second I spent skimming it. We're criminals, $$$$! We're NOT on your side! If you don't like it, go back to the gunny websites. This isn't a $$$$ gunny website and just because some of us are skilled with guns (hell, I've taken classes with Suarez since 02 but only because he's the only good non-square range trainer that doesn't do a background check) doesn't mean we're goody goody types who care about the 2nd. I'll always have guns, no matter what laws are passed, and I'll use them to further my own ends. $$$ everyone else.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post

Here is an edited (for language only) sample of what the BGs are sayings & doing.
    (note that they are watching our forums for hints....)

First, CCW permit holders aren't like you or me. Well, maybe they're like you, because you're definitely coming off as a goodygoody piglover type. They have to obey the law, because getting caught will make them lose their permit. They xxxxxxx follow the law better than pigs do. So, they won't have guns in the xxxxxxx post office. Go read thehighroad.org and other forums where piglovers / gunnuts / CCWholders hang out and see how they're xxxxxxx TERRIFIED of breaking the law and losing their CCW. The ones that'll pack everywhere under the idea that 'concealed means concealed' won't have a xxxxxxx permit in the first place.....

Second, you seem to really hope that they manage to catch and kill someone robbing them. I smell either bacon, a piglover, or a goodygoody.

Third, a CCW holder who shoots someone for going through his car will end up in front of a grand jury at the least.

Fourth, the entire idea is based around robbing them of their guns when they aren't physically present. A concealed permitholder is likely to own more than one gun- thus hitting their house while they're at work is a good idea.
    I hope this idiot Trejbal is happy with the outcome.....

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links