VA CCW holder list published in Roanoke Times

This is a discussion on VA CCW holder list published in Roanoke Times within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Past gun-related controversies have been "like a firecracker" by comparison, he said. "This one is like a thermonuclear bomb." A thermonuclear bomb? No kidding! What ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: VA CCW holder list published in Roanoke Times

Past gun-related controversies have been "like a firecracker" by comparison, he said. "This one is like a thermonuclear bomb."
    A thermonuclear bomb? No kidding! What would you expect when law-abiding and armed citizens take dearly to protecting themselves, their privacy included.
    Last edited by eagle5; March 13th, 2007 at 01:55 PM. Reason: content removed

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    These idiots know how to aid the BG. What other excuse would this jerk have for this type of action. I guess he ran out of news worthy things to write about.
    I haven't gone looking at their posting yet, but did anyone put in the editor's name and see if he's got a permit?

It'd be funny to inform him that the public now knows that he goes around unarmed. (If he doesn't have a permit, that is; and it's of course always possible that he has no permit but carries illegally!)

What a he is. A perfect example of, "Just because you have the right or the ability to do something doesn't mean you have to do it."

He received calls from outraged state legislators.

I have a feeling that in a few months' time, making the CCW holder list public will be a felony.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Guys , pause in your high 5s for a bit , Yes the paper pulled the page , but its still in the cache , specificly google cache http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...Fgunpermits%2F
    Like zumbo's unthinking comments , this travisty cannot be called back .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    No bomb at editorial writer's home
    By Donna Alvis-Banks and Paul Dellinger
    UPDATED 3.28 p.m.
    The mysterious package that was delivered to Roanoke Times editorial writer Christian Trejbal's home today and prompted police to close a Christiansburg street turned out to be full of blank mailing labels and cardboard mailers.
    A state police bomb squad was called to School Lane and at least some neighbors were evacuated after Trejbal, who attracted a deluge of criticism with a column about concealed carry firearms permits, found the package during a lunch-time trip home. Trejbal has received threats in the wake of his Sunday column <http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/trejbal/wb/108160>, which celebrated open government and public records and was accompanied by an online database listing the about 135,000 Virginians who are licensed to carry concealed firearms. The information is available to anyone who inquires at county courthouses, or can be obtained on a statewide basis from Richmond.
    Angry responses poured into the paper's message boards <http://blogs.roanoke.com/roundtable/columns/comment_on_trejbals_column_12.html> after the column ran, with readers complaining that putting the database online would make it easier for thieves to find weapons to steal or for abusive spouses to track down partners who'd acquired weapons to protect themselves. The Roanoke Times removed the database <http://www.roanoke.com/gunpermits/>from its Web site Monday afternoon due to concern that it might include names that should not have been made public, president and publisher Debbie Meade said.
    Lt. Mark Sisson of the Christiansburg police said today that Trejbal said he definitely didn't order the package "so we're going to take every precaution."
    Susan Thomas, who lives near Trejbal, called him a good neighbor, but said he had upset people with his columns. She and others who live in the neighborhood were confused as police arrived at his home.
    "We don't have any idea what's going on," Thomas, 64, said as the bomb squad examined the box. "... I saw a yellow truck this morning. They delivered a package this morning. It said DHL on the side. I saw him opening it up and looking in it, then I saw all the police cars. I asked them, 'Should we be concerned?' and they said 'Just give us a minute.' 'A minute has been two or three hours.' "
    The box was full of blank DHL mailers and labels. There was no immediate indication why it was delivered to Trejbal.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Trying to run a query from the first page results in the removal screen coming up.
    So the unfortuante folks on that first page are forever immortalized unless they notify Google and request that cache be removed too. :(

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Great...more publicity for this fool and of course he's going to blame "those crazy gun owners" for making his family feel threatened.

Instead, he overreacted to put himself back in the spotlight and as what? a "victim"--a victim of his stupidity.

He was the fool to admit to the world he doesn't own a gun and sticks his thumb in our eye. I wonder at what point during this exercise he wished he had a gun to defend himself or his family from a perceived threat (vs an actual threat)

Seems he called the bomb squad now , http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/breaking/wb/108505

The paper printed it , i smell a crusade to in any way cast ccw holders as rabid lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

here's a post...
    Hey Genius...
    Aside from the previous 369 posts, have you thought that if people didn't want the state to have their personal information, they would not have applied for a concealed carry permit? After all, open carry is perfectly legal. This is not about the "secret" files the state keeps--this is about the files private citizens provided to the state to be given a permit to carry a concealed handgun.

Please resign and go away. Unless you stand-up as a man and admit you screwed up and send a handwritten apology to every single address you published on the website, your reputation as a man and “journalist” will forever be questioned. Any excuses or rebuttals will be seen as shallow or half-hearted. If you choose the easy path and do nothing—and you are content with that, then I feel sorry for your family. You are not worth any more of my time. I will see to it that this kind of information, in the future, is protected by state law.

You have proven you are not (adult enough to be) responsible with this kind of information.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Seems he called the bomb squad now , http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/breaking/wb/108505

The paper printed it , i smell a crusade to in any way cast ccw holders as rabid lol .
    I like how out of a page and half of text, basically saying this guy was in fear of being targeted for his article, it ends with a very short, Oh yeah, it was a box of shipping labels. What a
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Guys , pause in your high 5s for a bit , Yes the paper pulled the page , but its still in the cache , specificly google cache http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...Fgunpermits%2F
    Like zumbo's unthinking comments , this travisty cannot be called back .
    Acutally I'm waiting on a response from google on this.

I sent the following letter (my own address redacted in this copy):
    Dear Sir/Madame:

I am asking that you please remove this particular item from your cache on Google.com. I only ask because the item cached does present a very real and very dangerous problem for many Virginians. I am providing the link here: http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...Fgunpermits%2F

Currently many Virginians are discussing legal options against both the Roanoke Times and the Reporter responsible for posting this information in such a public forum. This is not about being for or against gun rights. That's not what our concern is. It's about public safety. There are as you can imagine certain folks (Victims of Domestic Violence, Law Enforcement, Judges, Lawyers, etc…) who are unfortunately listed in this database provided. Many of these people are unlisted in the phonebooks and other public information systems for a reason. Now some, if not many of them, are in danger.

The Roanoke Senior Editors recently sided with us in our concerns and removed it from their own pages. I only ask that you do the same out of consideration for the safety of those who are now in the clear. This is an excerpt from the statement the Roanoke Times released in response to this issue: "Out of a sense of caution and concern for the public we have decided to take the database off of our website." The full text of there response can be found here: http://www.roanoke.com/gunpermits/

I appologize if this is the incorrect address to send this request to. If it is incorrect could you point me in the right direction?

Sincerely,
    xxxxx
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    I read the posts that commented on his story & didn't see any that would be considered threatening. Most comments were angry that their own lives had been put at risk, but they didn't threaten the author with anything more serious than a lawsuit or suggestions to his boss's that they fire him.

His address was also posted a couple of times, but so was 135,000 permit holders....mine included.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Packin please keep us updated on google's response , this could be intresting as anti gun as they are , while they censor searches for china lol .

In reference to the Roanoke Times Editor/Writer
    wow that guys a bit paranoid, calling the bomb squad... SERVES HIM RIGHT! i hope hes scared to death of everything from now on!!

HAHA
    Last edited by kf4uel; March 13th, 2007 at 06:07 PM. Reason: put who i was talking about

Updated my info on page 2 of this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    Christian Trejbal is a new editorial writer for the Roanoke Times. His non-too-popular views on other subjects have already earned him some rather nasty responses to his columns.

Photo of Christian Trejbal:
    http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/im...al_100x135.jpg

Address:
    675 School Lane
    Christiansburg, VA 24073
    (4 bedroom house that was listed for $115,000 when he purchased it)

Map to Christian Trejbal's house:
    http://tinyurl.com/2lvdps

Christian Trejbal received a Masters in Philosophy from the Univ. of Minnesota in 2000. He has also spent some time in Bend, Oregon.

Christian Trejbal's Phone Number: (540) 381-1645
    Email: christian.trejbal@roanoke.com (also uses chris@nightmare.org)

He's single, approx. 35 years old, and grew up in Cleveland, Ohio. Short bio on Roanoke Time's web site states: "Christian Trejbal: The philosopher, mathematician and historian discovered editorial writing. "Who needs to finish a Ph.D.?" he asked. From Cleveland, by way of Indiana, Minnesota and Oregon, Christian Trejbal landed in Southwest Virginia."

Christian Trejbal also owns the domain trejbal.net:

Registrant:
    Trejbal, Christian
    3141 R Square
    Roanoke, VA 24015
    US

Domain Name: TREJBAL.NET

Administrative Contact:
    Trejbal, Christian babbage@nightmare.org
    3141 R Square
    Roanoke, VA 24015
    US
    540-309-4683

Mr. Trejbal, how do you like the openess of the Internet?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links