Non Resident purchasing?

Non Resident purchasing?

This is a discussion on Non Resident purchasing? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I've tried finding the answer to this with no luck, hopefully somone here can help. I'm a FL resident with a cwl. I now ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non Resident purchasing?

Non Resident purchasing?

Hi,

I've tried finding the answer to this with no luck, hopefully somone here can help.

I'm a FL resident with a cwl. I now have to spend about a week each month in PA. I know I'm covered with reciprocity to carry, but can I purchase a pistol in PA? Since I have to go through NY every time I come up north, flying with a gun is not an option. Ideally, I'd like to purchase and leave the pistol in PA. Thanks for the help.

Regards,
    Al

I don't see any reason why you couldn't.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

IANAL, but as I understand it, the Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits anyone from buying a firearm that doesn't fall into the 'Sporting Purposes' category from a dealer outside their home state. Most defensive pistols are not considered to have a sporting purpose, so you probably can't pick one up in Pennsylvania.

However, this is the exact sort of situation the federal peaceable journey statute (Title 18 U.S.C. Section 926A) was written for. It should allow you to move a pistol from Florida to Pennsylvania via New York. Just keep it unloaded in a locked case (which you'll have to do to transport it via airplane anyway) and put it in the trunk of whatever vehicle you're using to get to Pennsylvania. That's probably a lot of trouble to go through twice a month going to or from Pennsylvania, but since you seem to be willing to purchase an extra pistol anyway, just buy one in Florida and take it to Pennsylvania once and keep it there.

Senior Moderator
    I don't believe you can purchase a hand gun in PA without being a resident, however one of the things you can do if you don't want to fly with your handgun (and we've done it before, it's really no big deal as long as you play by the rules and declare it and everything) you can have it shipped to yourself up in PA. There are some shipping companies that will ship a gun, provided you play by their rules as well.

Good luck.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I don't believe you can purchase a hand gun in PA without being a resident, however one of the things you can do if you don't want to fly with your handgun (and we've done it before, it's really no big deal as long as you play by the rules and declare it and everything) you can have it shipped to yourself up in PA. There are some shipping companies that will ship a gun, provided you play by their rules as well.

Good luck.
    This seems like the best option other than driving; provided you have secure storage in Pa.

Can't you just buy a gun in your home state, ship it to PA one time and then just leave it there like you were going to do.

That's what I would do!! Steve48

Quote Originally Posted by amk35 View Post
    Hi,

I've tried finding the answer to this with no luck, hopefully somone here can help.

I'm a FL resident with a cwl. I now have to spend about a week each month in PA. I know I'm covered with reciprocity to carry, but can I purchase a pistol in PA? Since I have to go through NY every time I come up north, flying with a gun is not an option. Ideally, I'd like to purchase and leave the pistol in PA. Thanks for the help.

Regards,
    Al
    You could purchase in PA but you could not take delivery in PA . The firearm would have to be shipped to an FFL in Florida who would handle the delivery. An FFL cannot deliver a hand gun to a resident of a different state.

My Local Gunshop...

told me (FL resident) that I could not even give my son (MI resident) a gun without going through a FFL.

Who would know, probably no one, but if there was ever a problem, would it be worth the risk to never CCW again?

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Why is flying with a firearm not a solution? Is there a local law that precludes the travel with an unloaded, properly cased firearm?
    TSA has told me that all I have to do is let them know I have a firearm in my luggage possibly show them that it is cased and unloaded and check the luggage. All I was planning on doing is buy ammo once I got to my destination.
    Let me know...
    Matt

Thanks for the replies guys.

Looks like I will buy in FL and have it shipped.

Matt, I just want to go through the hassle of NY and NJ(which I have to drive through) every month.

Al

Being a former FFL and working at a huge gunshop here, I can tell you that your current State laws DO NOT allow you to take possesion of any rifle, shotgun, or handgun in any other State, UNLESS you have it SHIPPED to a FFL that will accept your purchase.. Florida State law changed recently so that you're just like RI, and you are required to take everything you purchased out of state and have it shipped to your state (Florida).. the GCA of 1968 does not allow anyone excpet a FFL or C&R holder to take possesion of a handgun, and transport it across state lines.. Private purchases of handguns are shipped to the state where you reside..(where you sleep at night) for those who own dual property in other states.. Just an FYI and hope it helps..
    BTW......purchasing a handgun in your state of residency, and transporting it to another State, leaving it there is going to get you placed in the slammer if it ever gets stolen.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    Another problem no one has mentioned is that if you buy a gun in Florida and have it shipped to Pennsylvania there has to be an FFL to ship it and an FFL to receive it. When you go to the FFL in PA you will have to fill out a 4473. When you list your state of residence as FL the FFL cannot transfer the gun to you because you do not reside in PA. That method is just like trying to buy in PA.

Shipping of firearms between states requires an FFL on each end. This includes guns you already own. You should be able to fly with the firearm and not have trouble due to the peaceable journey law, but states have been known not to abide by this law. See this thread.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Another problem no one has mentioned is that if you buy a gun in Florida and have it shipped to Pennsylvania there has to be an FFL to ship it and an FFL to receive it. When you go to the FFL in PA you will have to fill out a 4473. When you list your state of residence as FL the FFL cannot transfer the gun to you because you do not reside in PA. That method is just like trying to buy in PA.

Shipping of firearms between states requires an FFL on each end. This includes guns you already own. You should be able to fly with the firearm and not have trouble due to the peaceable journey law, but states have been known not to abide by this law. See this thread.
    Right on target George!
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Thanks for the clarification!

Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links