Anyone from Connecticut?

This is a discussion on Anyone from Connecticut? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a CC permit in CT but don't carry ever. I'm a total noob at this and would always feel like everyone knows. So, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone from Connecticut?

Anyone from Connecticut?

I have a CC permit in CT but don't carry ever. I'm a total noob at this and would always feel like everyone knows. So, I'll read through the forums a bit more and maybe someday I'll leave my house with my firearm.

I was wondering how people's experiences were in CT.

Thanks,
    paul

2. Remove Ads

I'm not from CT but I have a CT non-resident permit and vist there on occasion to see relatives. Like anywhere else I brush up on the local laws, make sure I am concealed properly, then carry away. Not a problem but I am so use to it I just don't worry about it.

You have to get your feet wet sometime. Pick a place you can go to that is not very crowded and go for the gold. Good luck!
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by pmaapl View Post
    I have a CC permit in CT but don't carry ever. I'm a total noob at this and would always feel like everyone knows. So, I'll read through the forums a bit more and maybe someday I'll leave my house with my firearm.

I was wondering how people's experiences were in CT.

Thanks,
    paul
    Yup, live in New Haven county... I moved up here from Florida and after getting my CT CCW, I just carry away. Believe it or not, CT is pretty "liberal" about places you cannot carry. There is also NO law on the books preventing open carry, but no one wants to test it... Doesn't matter to me as I never open carry anyway, even in AZ where I have a CCW also.

The fear as a "noob" you have to get over is worrying about people "knowing" you are carrying. People will NOT notice your concealed firearm. Whether it's in CT or Alaska... I've pocket, IWB, OWB, and "crotch" carried with Smart Carry and NEVER been called on carrying a firearm. Most people plow through their lives and don't even think about others carrying. You just have to make sure the firearm does not become exposed for any reason. You might be worried about "printing" at first, but that feeling goes away with practice/experience. And, if some sharp cop asks you if that's a gun you're carrying because he was so adept at seeing you print...just show your CCW permit and be on your way. However, I seriously doubt that scenario would ever occur.

I've carried everything from my smallest (KT P3AT) to my largest (5" all steel 1911) with great success. It really, really, really helps to have several methods of carry to fit the situation, weather, perceived threat level, etc... Then tailor that carry method to your dress and, most importantly, the firearm you are carrying.

THEN you can worry about what loads to feed your carry... :)
    Last edited by fludy12; March 13th, 2007 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Pick a place you can go to that is not very crowded and go for the gold. Good luck!

Good advice there... Also, practice carrying around your house for a while. Practice your draw and re-holstering drills with an UNLOADED pistol.

Then... Head out to your nearest Wal-Mart and get some nachos as they do over on Glocktalk!

Seriously, I really don't worry about printing or anyone knowing as I have a valid CCW permit. My biggest effort is carry comfort.

carry every day keep it covered and don't think twice.

You can carry a shoebox strapped to your hip and people won't notice. The first few times it feels like everyone is looking at you and you find yourself feeling for your pistol.

Once you have some experience and a good holster and belt it becomes second nature. You'll feel naked when you have to drive to Massachusetts for a gun show.

Welcome to the forum!

The only way to get over the fear that "everyone knows" is to face it. Carry a couple of times and the 'obvious feeling' definitely goes away. The standard advice around here once you get a permit is to strap on the gun and go to WalMart (any place with lots of people and no restrictions on carrying will do, but WalMart is traditional).

Good Luck!

Howdy, fellow Connecticutian! Aside from the replies above, I have only to add that I've had no problems since I've started carrying - I have yet to encounter anyplace that was posted against carrying inside or any situation where I felt uncomfortable with the gun. One bit of advice I have is to just sit down and read through the forums here, especially the Concealed Carry Issues - I've learned some things here that had been left out by my permit class instructor (or even that had been told to the contrary!). Good luck, and feel free to ask away with any questions you might have!

Just Do It...

If anyone should notice...it will be another CCW'er...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm in New Haven County and I've been carrying here for about a year. I'm totally comfortable with it now and I'm still amazed at how 'liberal' this state is with concealed carry. As was mentioned, the law doesn't specifically prohibit open carry, but suggests against it. It isn't specifically prohibited anywhere except school property and where posted (haven't seen it posted anywhere yet but I can't really say I look too hard). Can leave it in a vehicle no problem. My experience with the local LEOs in getting my CT permit and getting fingerprinted for a couple out of state permits is that they're completly nonchalant about it. No questions or funny looks of any kind.

hello. I am also new to the forum and actually fairly new to the state of CT. I was kind of shock how "reasonable" it was to get my CCW. I did the paperwork, got my references, fingerprinted at the policestation, and filed my application. waited the requisite amt of time and got my permit. went to the state issuing authority and they gave me my CCW. this would have been extremely difficult in the DC/MD/VA area to get given the poor state of 2nd amendment affairs in that area.

I am surprised on how many people carry in CT. there was a ton of folks in the State office applying for their CCWs and surprised on how many people have permits/carry at work. This state being a blue state I thought they would be more hostile to 2nd amendment rights.

As always, I have gained valuable knowledge/insight from this forum. thanks. Raider39

I also CCW in CT. I live in Hartford. I just about always carry my G19 or G26 or Kahr P9. There's a gun show in Enfield tommorow and Sunday, I'll be there if the weather gets any better! CT gunlaws do seem to be very reasonable by way of comparison to other New England states. As far as carrying goes, right now is the best time to build your confidence because of the weather. If you've got a good winter coat you can pretty much carry anything and just throw your coat over (mine's a P-coat).
    One of the main reason's why CT is kinda reasonable is its history. You've got Colt, Marlin, Winchester and many other. In fact, A friend of mine works for the national guard told me that CT is the only state that keeps an active militia armory. If you're wondering where it is, its The Armory in West Hartford. The above ground levels are office space and in fact my dentist is there! However the lower level is an entirely different matter! It is a fully stocked, fortified and guarded armory!!! Only in CT!

We should hit the range sometime!

Kevin

One of the main reason's why CT is kinda reasonable is its history. You've got Colt, Marlin, Winchester and many other.
    That's a good point about all the gun manufacturers in CT. I also think that may have something to do with the fact that the state 'assault weapons' ban neglected to include the words "AR type weapons" in the language. They banned Colt Sporters and a couple of other AR rifles by name but left Colt an out in that they just had to change the model name and could continue to sell their rifles in this state. They didn't forget to mention "AK type weapons" in the ban. No AK47s of any type for sale here. Was not banning all ARs an oversight? Doubt it but who knows. Sorry, not trying to turn this into a rifle ban thread. Just thought the CT / Colt connection was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by revitup View Post
    My experience with the local LEOs in getting my CT permit and getting fingerprinted for a couple out of state permits is that they're completly nonchalant about it. No questions or funny looks of any kind.
    My LEO experience was much different in Naugatuck. The a-hole cop, while fingerprinting me, actually asked why I needed guns as a and why I just didn't take up golf or tennis instead. As if firearm ownership was just a sport or "hobby".

He actually said people "like me" put more guns on the street and make his job harder. Uh, yeah, buddy... The guy that pays $94 total, goes through a background check, gets fingerprinted, actually GOES to the police station for the purpose of carrying a firearm, provides proof of NRA training is the guy YOU gotta worry about...

Thank God HE had to follow the law and issue my temporary permit anyways...

I KNOW he would have denied me if he had the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider39a View Post
    I am surprised on how many people carry in CT.
    It IS surprising...

CT is the #4 state in the nation for having the highest percentage of adults that can legally carry that actually have their CCW/pistol permit. Higher than Florida and Arizona. Weird...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links