Finally got a reaction to my openly carrying... - Page 2

Finally got a reaction to my openly carrying...

This is a discussion on Finally got a reaction to my openly carrying... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by lilducky08 Not to steal the thread, but how many of you open carry? In restaurants that serve alcohol, other times rarely, but ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finally got a reaction to my openly carrying...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lilducky08 View Post
    Not to steal the thread, but how many of you open carry?
    In restaurants that serve alcohol, other times rarely, but yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    The surprise angle, in my opinion is a bit over rated. Unless the BG is targeting you specifically, then he is going to be surprised when starts doing his thing and is suddenly confronted with an armed citizen.

Open carry allows me to carry with out a cover garment that 1, makes me hot and uncomfortable when it is hot and humid here and 2 allows me to get to my weapon with the utmost speed and with out worrying that my cover garment will get in the way of the draw.

It is very liberating to open carry. And, it is good that the sheeple see regular folks carrying weapons, as it will get them used to it and then it becomes just one more natural thing that they see everyday and take for granted.
    I would think that in most situations of random violence, the BG would overlook your OC, especially in a group environment. Now if you are being specifically targeted...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Ironically, Kansas was (and technically still is) and open-carry state... until the concealed carry law was passed. Now, any concealed carry license holder can NOT carry openly (in public space) under any circumstances. (You can still carry however you want on your own property or in your own place of business).

In point of fact, while Kansas was open-carry, it had no preemption laws, and nearly every town outlawed open-carry. So I suppose it doesn't make much difference. Just interesting how laws have odd consequences sometimes.
    Clint
    Kansas - The original Old West
    Open Skies - Long Vistas

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lilducky08 View Post
    Not to steal the thread, but how many of you open carry?
    I've open carried on very rare occassions, usually if I'm working at the house, without a second shirt to act as a cover garment, and have to run to the store for some reason. I've also been known to just grab a jacket on the way out the door and be done with it, but every now and then, I don't think to grab a cover.

Glad to hear some sheep have enough brain to distinguish between a predator and a guard-dog.

Until today we HAD to open carry in our vehicles in Ohio. Our new law took effect today to allow us to carry concealed in cars. Open carry is legal in Ohio, but not highly recommended. I don't care what other people think, I just don't like getting harassed by the LEO's.

Glad you had a good experience at the store.....

At my wife's High School Reunion I was introduced to the husband of one of my wife's classmates. While our wifes were off re-acquainting around the ballroom, he & I sat alone at our table making polite, casual conversation. I noticed the pocket clip of a folding knife just forward of the seam in his right-front jeans pocket. I laughed to myself, knowing that my Spyderco was clipped to the same spot in my dress slacks. As he adjusted his belt (we had just finished a delicious dinner) I caught a quick glimpse of a SIG P239 tucked IWB under his Sports Coat. I, again, thought it interesting as I had my GLOCK G19 holstered IWB (Milt Sparks Summer Special) in almost exactly the same location. As we became more comfortable with one another over the next half hour I asked why he was armed? He narrowed his eyes and said the only people who usually notice are "serious Good Guys & serious Bad Guys". After I assured him I was among the first group, he allowed that he was a career (31 year) LEO and asked how I knew he was armed? I said his folding knife had made me pay closer attention. He smiled & noted that I didn't pay THAT much attention because the clip on his front pocket wasn't on a knife but was attached to a Kel-Tec P3AT. He also mentioned my G19 as he had "made" me in within 30 seconds of our introduction. I asked how he had seen my GLOCK as I'm usually very conscious about flashing my CCW. He asked if I remembered what he had said about Good Guys & Bad Guys? When I said yes, he quietly handed me his business card...Special U.S. Deputy Marshall, Fugative Task Force. This was one SERIOUS Good Guy!

When I asked how many of the 500 or so people in the ballroom he thought were armed, he had an interesting answer. After scanning the room he said "at least 35", then smiled and added, "but I'm only sure about you & me".
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Yeah, If your dressed decent & not too shabby (like hooded sweatshirt with hood on) and just doing normal everyday stuff - most people don't react to your carrying open. At least that's been my experience in lower Alabama.
    Most time I'm CC - sometimes (like when my wife gets a cold spell and I have to lend her my cover garment) I'll open carry.
    For God, Family and Country!

It was said previously but I want to reiterate that appearance has a lot to do with the success of open carry in this setting.
    Mike/Sig P239 posted a link to a video of himself on TV recently.
    He does not look like an idiotic gangbanger/pimp, he does not look high, he does not look like a weakminded fool.
    He does look smart and casual, maybe an off duty detective or other undercover type.
    I see people like that open carrying here occasionally, I assume they are badge holders of some description but also realize they might just be Joes like me. Matters not one bit.
    When I see a baggy pant pimp open carrying I will worry, until then I welcome it.

It really depends on where you live. In St. John, kansas, no problem, in Kansas City, MO, your going to jail. Steve48

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    It was said previously but I want to reiterate that appearance has a lot to do with the success of open carry in this setting.
    Mike/Sig P239 posted a link to a video of himself on TV recently.
    He does not look like an idiotic gangbanger/pimp, he does not look high, he does not look like a weakminded fool.
    He does look smart and casual, maybe an off duty detective or other undercover type.
    I see people like that open carrying here occasionally, I assume they are badge holders of some description but also realize they might just be Joes like me. Matters not one bit.
    When I see a baggy pant pimp open carrying I will worry, until then I welcome it.

I thought Mike looked a little pimpish! All kidding aside, most of the time a plain clothes LEO is required to display his badge next to the firearm when open carrying. (at least around here anyway)
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Glad to hear some sheep have enough brain to distinguish between a predator and a guard-dog.
    You've probably hit it a little closer then you realize..........
    Most sheep don't have the brains to distinguish between the two, and figure that anyone open carrying (and not acting all jumpy/nervous at the time) is, as you put it, "A Guard Dog", meaning they are either a LEO or otherwise some form of armed security, not just the average joe with a permit to carry and the smarts to want to protect themselves and their loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    most of the time a plain clothes LEO is required to display his badge next to the firearm when open carrying. (at least around here anyway)
    Very good point, I overlooked that, I'm sure that is the case here too, but even so the masses don't realize anything is amiss.

I don't look pimpish myself but I do look like I have been wrestling building materials all day, so I would most likely be deemed odd looking if I open carried, whereas Mike wouldn't.
    I don't open carry, not sure if I would. But I do applaud those that do if they are doing it for the right reasons.

VIP Member
    concealed 100% (tho not required in MN) so I don't have to worry whether I forgot to shave. I decided NOT to get that cute CCW badge to clip next to the crime stopper.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I just dont understand the open carry. I like the element of surprise theory..
    I do, too. I say "Keep 'em guessin". The wolves and the sheep. If a wolf is going to attack, I want him to attack me or another sheepdog, instead of a sheep.
    The early-bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I open carried for about ten minutes at a range while cleaning up and getting to leave and that was it.

I think if I ever were to open carry I'd be on pins and needles all the time, instead of worrying about whether people can see it or not, I'd be worried about them staring at it and thinking about trying to tale it from me.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Ghost Tracker, good story.

I'm quite surprised that he knew you were armed. What made it so obvious?

I find it a bit spooky that some people out there would be that good at spotting CCW. I'd like to think that when I don't want people to know, they don't know. I understand that there are some people out there who train to know (as best they can) and are in a line of work where it serves them well if they know.

Surely, though, many of us have evolved our carry methods to the point where the only ways to really "know" is to see the gun, or ask?

Is it possibly he was putting you on, and really only guessed after you had already indicated you were a gun person?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links