Finally got a reaction to my openly carrying...

This is a discussion on Finally got a reaction to my openly carrying... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tom G Guns usualy don't freak out most people out unless it's pointed at them. A lot of the people I associate ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finally got a reaction to my openly carrying...

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Guns usualy don't freak out most people out unless it's pointed at them. A lot of the people I associate with do not carry but they don't don't condem me for doing so.
    I opened carried in a Giant one time kind of like a Safeway. When I did I heard some girls in the line next say-OMG hes got a gun. Then the next one said well he has it in a holster he must be a Cop!!!
    I started laughing.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jeffkirchner View Post
    I do, too. I say "Keep 'em guessin". The wolves and the sheep. If a wolf is going to attack, I want him to attack me or another sheepdog, instead of a sheep.
    Why would you WANT the assailant to attack you or ANYBODY for that matter? If a BG enters a local grocery or department store as Sig P239 mentions, he's there to atack SOMEBODY - ANYBODY who looks "sheepish" enough. If he walks in, surveys the place, sees you with an iron on your hip - He's gonna be out of there on the prowl for another place, another time.

Open carry is a deterrent - plain and simple! That goes for cops AND ccw citizens. A BG sees a gun - he's gone...they hate confrontation!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    Why would you WANT the assailant to attack you or ANYBODY for that matter? If a BG enters a local grocery or department store as Sig P239 mentions, he's there to atack SOMEBODY - ANYBODY who looks "sheepish" enough. If he walks in, surveys the place, sees you with an iron on your hip - He's gonna be out of there on the prowl for another place, another time.
    That's my point. He will attack someone, somewhere. Better me than someone that isn't armed.
    The early-bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

First, let's not get too passionate as this is mainly a congratulatory thread for Mike, at least that's my perspective. It would be a shame to see it locked as other 'open carry' threads have been.
    You know the Mods are watching this one especially closely...

Open carry is a good thing as it deters BGs and makes Average Joe more familiar with seeing guns.

It's a bad thing as you might be targeted for theft of the gun or singled out as the only tangible threat in a robbery. That is why LEOs don't open carry off duty.

Imagine you were in a Stop and Rob, Billy Stick-Up walks in and on his way to the counter sees you and your shiny 1911. You are directly effecting his ability to put Meth on the table and he will hesitate about zero seconds to eliminate you.

YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    First, let's not get too passionate as this is mainly a congratulatory thread for Mike, at least that's my perspective. It would be a shame to see it locked as other 'open carry' threads have been.
    You know the Mods are watching this one especially closely...

Open carry is a good thing as it deters BGs and makes Average Joe more familiar with seeing guns.

It's a bad thing as you might be targeted for theft of the gun or singled out as the only tangible threat in a robbery. That is why LEOs don't open carry off duty.

Imagine you were in a Stop and Rob, Billy Stick-Up walks in and on his way to the counter sees you and your shiny 1911. You are directly effecting his ability to put Meth on the table and he will hesitate about zero seconds to eliminate you.

YMMV.
    Good call. I have so much I want to respond with, but being a cop I'm used to dealing with such arguments so I'll bite my tongue and keep my comments to myself!

Back to the original thread and post ...

Hey, I thought that story was HILARIOUS ! Thanks for posting it.

It's amazing ... the first time you carry, it feels like you have a strobe-light on your hip. After a while you realize ... nobody is paying attention.

That's my point. He will attack someone, somewhere. Better me than someone that isn't armed.
    You are NOT Superman! Everybody please remember this:

Living witnesses are better than DEAD heroes!

VIP Member
    I only open carry (with badge prominently displayed in front of holster) when I want the LEO discount at Chipotle... Is that wrong? :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

You are NOT Superman! Everybody please remember this:

Living witnesses are better than DEAD heroes!
    I agree with both of those statements.

And, I stand by my original post:
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffkirchner
    I do, too. I say "Keep 'em guessin". The wolves and the sheep. If a wolf is going to attack, I want him to attack me or another sheepdog, instead of a sheep.
    And my second one:
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffkirchner

I agree with both of those statements.

And, I stand by my original post:

And my second one:
    I wish you the best of luck. Stay safe.

I wish you the best of luck. Stay safe.
    I don't need luck. I keep my gun concealed. But, thanks.

I don't need luck. I keep my gun concealed. But, thanks.
    ...well...if you don't NEED luck, then I hope your life insurance premium is paid up to date!

Are you an organ donor, by chance?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I only open carry (with badge prominently displayed in front of holster) when I want the LEO discount at Chipotle... Is that wrong? :)
    Now that was funny... I guess its an inside joke of sorts.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Like someone else said, I dont want to get into arguements about why or why not open carry. There are advantages both ways, I just see more advantages in concealing..So to get away from the disadvantages and advantages as far as the defense part. One thing I do know I'd be uncomfortable with is, Ive lived in this town all my life (I'm 49). Its a fairly small town. I know ALOT of people here. If people I've known for years, elderly, middle age, kids, kids my daughter hangs and my friends that dont know I carry saw me carrying a gun around town, alot of them would probably look at me in a whole new light. We all know of the negativity that comes with carrying. I'd probably loose respect from alot of people (sheep) and work clients too. I work in people houses everyday. I venture to say I'd loose business from it. Some would think after all the years of knowing me, now I'm carrying a gun openly , they'd think I was trying to prove something or I'd be asked every day "why are you carrying that?". I dont feel this way about someone open carrying, but I know alot of people that knew me would think that way. Keeping it concealed keeps me on an even keel with everyone I know. I dont have to deal with my daughters friends parents or clients worrying about being around a gun thats likely to go off by itself any minute and shoot someone between the eyes..
    If I lived somewhere where no one knew me, it'd be different. Also if I was younger.

Glock 'em down,

You read my posts, and then you "read between the lines", and insinuated that I think I'm Superman, because I choose to not let my carry status be known to the people I come into contact with every day, and one of the reasons I choose not to do that.

You have misinterpreted all of my posts in this thread, because you choose to read between the lines. When I post a comment, it is what it is. There's no reason for anyone to "read between the lines.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links