Finally got a reaction to my openly carrying... - Page 5

Finally got a reaction to my openly carrying...

This is a discussion on Finally got a reaction to my openly carrying... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OC is perfectly legal in NC, the reason I don't practice this is pretty much inline with what .02 has stated. IF BG is intent ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    OC is perfectly legal in NC, the reason I don't practice this is pretty much inline with what .02 has stated. IF BG is intent on robbing a place and he sees you with your sidearm, you just became target #1 and he will take you out. You may have time to react and take him out first, you may not, but this ain't Bonanza, bullets hurt!! I feel much better having the element of surprise. Not to mention the LEO look negatively on OC because they think you are trying to imitate a cop, and I can see their point. Of course they can't charge you with anything that will stick, but I choose to avoid the confrintation to start with. I do agree if everybody OC'd it would be a different world. I reckon it is one of those catch 22's, I would like it if everyone would OC, but I am not willing to be the guinea pig. For those of you who do OC. I have nothing against your decision, it is a decision to mage just like CC, but I would use a good retention holster like the Bianchi Carry Loc system.
    BTW. Mike did you ever check out the carry loc system for your 23? I am telling you it is the best holster I have used and it is my daily holster for my 23.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I only open carry (with badge prominently displayed in front of holster) when I want the LEO discount at Chipotle... Is that wrong? :)
    It's only wrong when I'm not with you to get the discount too!!

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    OC is perfectly legal in NC, the reason I don't practice this is pretty much inline with what .02 has stated. IF BG is intent on robbing a place and he sees you with your sidearm, you just became target #1 and he will take you out. You may have time to react and take him out first, you may not, but this ain't Bonanza, bullets hurt!! I feel much better having the element of surprise. Not to mention the LEO look negatively on OC because they think you are trying to imitate a cop, and I can see their point. Of course they can't charge you with anything that will stick, but I choose to avoid the confrintation to start with. I do agree if everybody OC'd it would be a different world. I reckon it is one of those catch 22's, I would like it if everyone would OC, but I am not willing to be the guinea pig. For those of you who do OC. I have nothing against your decision, it is a decision to mage just like CC, but I would use a good retention holster like the Bianchi Carry Loc system.
    BTW. Mike did you ever check out the carry loc system for your 23? I am telling you it is the best holster I have used and it is my daily holster for my 23.
    I prefer the Blackhawk SERPA holsters for this type of thing. But both pretty much do the same thing so to each his own.

I spotted a guy wearing a Glock in a tactical thigh rig at Wally World. I was amazed at the lack of notice he drew from the register focused patrons.

Course this be Tennessee.
    Last edited by INTJ; March 27th, 2007 at 11:32 AM. Reason: To add a cute lil' smiley
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Gee you must live in a different country than me! Hell I have people complaining to me about the cops coming into a donut shop with their guns!!!!

People here in the Urban centres eat up the anti gun crud to the point where they think any gun is ready go off by itself and kill everyone!!
    Bet if the donut shop was being robbed while they were present they would see the cops with guns in an entirely different light....

Senior Moderator
    I agree with 0.02

OC would make you target number one for the meth head at the gas station. This is the main reason I don't OC.

Plus being an Historical recreationists I can look kinda scruffy by todays standards.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I'd deffinately like for Texas to get on the Open Carry wagon. Summer in Houston isn't a fun environment to be layering on clothing, and there is the off chance that your cover garment may accidently pull up and reveal your weapon.....which is a BIG no no for a CHL holder.

Jake
    "They kept tryin' to put me in the ground, but I wasn't ready"

VIP Member
    Recently, I went to a Subway restaurant a few hundred yards from the front doorway of a business three Federal agencies (and me) were executing a search warrant. I was open carrying with my gun secured to my Specter Gear belt with a lanyard. I kept my dominant hand over the gun for (additional) retention purposes....despite being in the company of a bunch of similarly "dressed" agents, I felt strange with my gun exposed for all to see. As a plainclothes-type of LEO, I am used to and promote concealed carry.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

This Discussion is VERY Location Dependent.

I can easily understand the differences in OC opinions being heavily dependent on location. If I lived in a major Metro Area my concerns would be very different that those of a non-LEO in a rural corner of a Southern state. I live in the Kentucky backwoods. Public wearing of a pistol (or packing a shotgun) attracts little more than a casual glance around here. Most everybody; owns them, knows how to use them, been around them & aren't afraid of them. It sometimes looks kinda' odd (like a roofer wearing his nail pouch into a corner cafe) but the sight of a gun simply doesn't provoke the same type of "rabid" response as it often does in a more sophisticated, cosmopolitan setting. In fact, you almost make-up your own reasons why a guy may have a pistol on his belt. Maybe he has a particularly dangerous bull loaded in his stock trailer parked outside. Maybe he's been out in the tobacco patch, just got off his tractor & forgot it was there. Maybe there's rats in his corn crib. Maybe he saw a big ole' Cotton Mouth (Water Moccasin) at the pond while bass fishin' with his Grandson. There's a BUNCH of perfectly rational reasons to have, see or wear a pistol around these parts. And almost none of them involve Badguys, Meth addicts or Convenient Store robbery (Thank God). There's just one word for a guy around here without a sharp pocketknife & a stout pistol...a tourist.
    Y'all be Safe.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    It's very simple for me. If I open carry where I live, I'll be going to jail and losing my license to carry. That said, I doubt I'd open carry even if I could... I don't like for the "sheep" as we like to call them, to know I have a gun. I'm not worried about them being scared, just worried about how they might stereotype me unfairly. Why giv'em that opportunity?
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

My question is in what states can you open carry?

Assistant Administrator
    Joe - only way to know is to check all state's laws. In many cases it can be legal - because it ain't listed as ILegal!

Whether however you ''get away'' unchallenged and with no hassles is another matter!

AZ is one good example of an OC state and in VA OC is required within drinks premises. AK and VT are good too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

http://opencarry.org/

Click on open carry map. I don't know if it's up to date, but there it is...

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I checked it out and found that I liked the Blackhawk SERPA a little better. I carry my 23 in a SERPA now and I have not found a holster that I like as much as this one.

It has cooled down again but will warm up again soon but, while it was warm here for a few weeks I was open carrying all over the place. I have now expanded my open carry territory to include not only my little town o Arlington but, Bartlett and Cordova (Suburbs closer to Memphis) and will soon actually open carry in Memphis, when I have a reason other than going to work to travel into the hell hole known as Memphis.

Only 2 comments so far and both have been positive.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Open carry is a good thing as it deters BGs and makes Average Joe more familiar with seeing guns.

It's a bad thing as you might be targeted for theft of the gun or singled out as the only tangible threat in a robbery. That is why LEOs don't open carry off duty.
    I think this sums it up very succinctly. Pick your poison.

I carry concealed 95% of the time. The only time I open carry is to help educate the sheeple and even then I only do it when I have other armed citizens with me. Feels like a reasonable compromise to me.

Which is right? "There ain't no good guy, there ain't no bad guy; there's only you and me and we just disagree".

Like I said, pick you poison . . . . respectfully!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links