Finally got a reaction to my openly carrying...

This is a discussion on Finally got a reaction to my openly carrying... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had to stop at the Kroger tonight on the way home from the crap mine (work). Needed to pick up some tomatoes and bread ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finally got a reaction to my openly carrying...

Finally got a reaction to my openly carrying...

I had to stop at the Kroger tonight on the way home from the crap mine (work). Needed to pick up some tomatoes and bread and the kids wanted some ice cream.

As is my usual practice when it is nice out, and it was beautiful this afternoon, I was open carrying. The Glock 23 was on my right hip in an OWB Uncle Mikes Kydex holster. The spare magazine was on my left him in a Kydex mag carrier.

Went into the store, selected my items and made my way to the check out lanes. As I stood there in line the fellow behind me, who I was blading the gun away from at about a 45 degree angle while keeping an eye on the person in front of me in line, leaned in a little closer to me and asked in a low voice, "Is that a Glock you have on?"

I responded that it was and that it was a model 23.

He then said "I like the 19 myself." Then patted his right hip area and I heard the unmistakable sound of his hand tapping a gun under his T-shirt. He smiled and we chit chatted about shooting and carrying in general for a minute until it was my turn to pay up.

Figures, the first and so far only reaction to my open carrying was from another person carrying, because he isn't just another sheep. He was alert enough to notice I had a gun on when all the people around us had no clue I was wearing one.

I thought that was funny.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Copy that I just got me one of the fanny packs type they all look alike but if you pay attention the zippers are the different but its good when you get someone that knows and appreciates the fines things in life!!!LOL
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Guns usualy don't freak out most people out unless it's pointed at them. A lot of the people I associate with do not carry but they don't don't condem me for doing so.

kpw
    That would freak everyone out around here but a 15-20 minute drive and probably not so much. I'm moving 15-20 minutes away soon.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Guns usualy don't freak out most people out unless it's pointed at them. A lot of the people I associate with do not carry but they don't don't condem me for doing so.
    Gee you must live in a different country than me! Hell I have people complaining to me about the cops coming into a donut shop with their guns!!!!

People here in the Urban centres eat up the anti gun crud to the point where they think any gun is ready go off by itself and kill everyone!!

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    I think public response is directly related to not only how you carry a weapon, but how you carry and conduct yourself personally. If you don't make it a big deal, and if your appearance is appropriate, then people generally won't be alarmed. In other words, you'll be treated differently starched/pressed and clean cut than you would be unshaven and sloppy. And that applies to whether you're carrying or not.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceGibson View Post
    I think public response is directly related to not only how you carry a weapon, but how you carry and conduct yourself personally.
    I totally agree with this! Great post.

+1. It's kinda like if a guy knows he's a scumbag, he's gotta LOOK like a scumbag! If I was a genuine outlaw, I would be clean cut, dressed up, rico suave and knock off every house in town!

Walk like a duck/talk like a duck.

Not to steal the thread, but how many of you open carry?

VIP Member
    I just dont understand the open carry. I like the element of surprise theory..

Depends on the state.I open carry every once in awhile.Certain places I would not.merlin45kout

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I just dont understand the open carry. I like the element of surprise theory..
    The surprise angle, in my opinion is a bit over rated. Unless the BG is targeting you specifically, then he is going to be surprised when starts doing his thing and is suddenly confronted with an armed citizen.

Open carry allows me to carry with out a cover garment that 1, makes me hot and uncomfortable when it is hot and humid here and 2 allows me to get to my weapon with the utmost speed and with out worrying that my cover garment will get in the way of the draw.

It is very liberating to open carry. And, it is good that the sheeple see regular folks carrying weapons, as it will get them used to it and then it becomes just one more natural thing that they see everyday and take for granted.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Gee you must live in a different country than me! Hell I have people complaining to me about the cops coming into a donut shop with their guns!!!!
    Heck, I was in a cafe the other day and some guy was complaining to the waitress about having to wait an extra couple of seconds to pull in because a cop had the nerve to back his cruiser into a parking space, rather than "just pull in forward and get out of the way like normal people."

Even before I worked security I backed into non-angled spaces most of the time; I've had two parking lot accidents, both while backing out of spaces because of reduced visibility and maneuverability. If I'd backed in those times, about $2500 worth of sheet metal and plastic would have been saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    The surprise angle, in my opinion is a bit over rated. Unless the BG is targeting you specifically, then he is going to be surprised when starts doing his thing and is suddenly confronted with an armed citizen.

Open carry allows me to carry with out a cover garment that 1, makes me hot and uncomfortable when it is hot and humid here and 2 allows me to get to my weapon with the utmost speed and with out worrying that my cover garment will get in the way of the draw.

It is very liberating to open carry. And, it is good that the sheeple see regular folks carrying weapons, as it will get them used to it and then it becomes just one more natural thing that they see everyday and take for granted.
    I agree. Also, who says the open carry gun is the only one I have on me... Because it is not.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Glad to hear you had a positive experience. Personally, I would've given you some good natured ribbing about the UM holster ... not too much though as I think you're still a bit bigger than me .
    Jack

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links