The ''O'Clock'' options.

This is a discussion on The ''O'Clock'' options. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess I was thinking the belly button was 12 o'clock, but whatever....... I carry mine on the right side, IWB, just far enough back ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The ''O'Clock'' options.

Carry position

I guess I was thinking the belly button was 12 o'clock, but whatever....... I carry mine on the right side, IWB, just far enough back to clear the hip bone. Comfort is my main isssue, because if it ain't comfortable I ain't gonna carry it all the time, and I won't have it when I need it. I don't plan on getting into a fast draw contest, I figure old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotelcharlie
    I guess I was thinking the belly button was 12 o'clock, but whatever....
    Gosh, Hotelcharlie, you didn't know left handed people wear watches that run backwards? :Breakdanc
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    Gosh, Hotelcharlie, you didn't know left handed people wear watches that run backwards? :Breakdanc
    Hotelcharlie may be right....geesh, what we need is a standard! Maybe start another thread and have a vote on whether 12 o'clock starts at the bellybutton or the backbone! LOL!

It starts at the belly button....thats why you hear lefties saying 8 and 9 oclock...

LOL...the only time this changes is if you are facing South. :)
    Brad B.

I guess I'll get into this debate too. I wear just behind the right hip bone with an IWB and on the seam with a straight drop OWB. However it comes down to your particular body type and whats comfortable for you. I stay away from anything that puts the holster on your spine. Thats a good way to be paralyzed if you fall or get knocked down. As far as driving I like one the so called "driver holsters" or attach a holster to the side of the seat or console close to the firing side hand.
    T.A.P.S.
    Tactics-Accuracy-Power-Speed

P95, . . . I am with you on the IWB and comfort thing. My problem is that I am more body than most folks 6'2" like me.

An OWB allows the muzzle to hang down too low for most of my alligator shirts, my denim jacket, even my two black leather vests.

I bought an OWB plastic that was set up for a righty, . . . peeled the belt loops off the back side and sanded the edges smooth, . . . rigged up a belt loop on the outboard side of it, . . . and now it is an IWB that is just about as comfortable as Mexican carry (which I prefer, but can be illegal in Ohio if you get pulled over by a real hard nose anti gun LEO).

What I am saying is, . . . if you are handy with tools and really want to go IWB, . . . it can be done. My 1911 comes out super smooth. It also rides about 3:15 in a zero cant.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.
    If you can read, . . . than a teacher.
    If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Assistant Administrator
    Sounds good Dwight but - still two things I have a problem with. First is sweat - in summer it is diabolical! Second - I am 6.00 and 200# .... and my ''padding'' is not enough round pelvis to make an IWB comfortable. I have tried most tricks!

As ever - it's what'll work for the individual.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I too tried 8:00 at first and quickly moved to 9:00 for the same reasons as the initial message in the thread. This is with a C-tac IWB w/C-clips and Glock 21.

My perpetually scrawny body (6'0", 155-160 lbs. regardless of diet and exercise) made it a bit of a challenge to work out the best way to CCW. What I've settled on is IWB at about 3:30-4:00, right behind the hip bone, but in order for this to be comfortable the gun must have a slim profile (formerly used a Spanish Govt. .380 clone, recently switched to a Hungarian PPK clone in 9mm Mak.) I have discovered I like the Bianchi #6 IWB holster, it's thin single-ply cowhide, adds very little bulk to the gun, it's about as close as you can get to Mexican carry and still protect the trigger and have good retention.

Typically there is also a Kel-Tec P32 in a DeSantis Nemesis in my left pocket.

Of course neither of these is all that accessible while driving. To fill that gap, I have one of my CZ-52's secured under the driver's seat, I merely have to reach down between my legs to grasp the butt. (The gun's, not mine.)
    "Terrorists don't seem to be too afraid of stern language. But I do notice, that while the fear of death does not seem to deter these people, the fact of BEING dead does significantly decrease their operational effectiveness. "
    - Bill Whittle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links