The ''O'Clock'' options.

The ''O'Clock'' options.

This is a discussion on The ''O'Clock'' options. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hear many folks mention 4 o'clock for their rig position. I however am always forward of this - electing to be 3 o'clock or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ''O'Clock'' options.

Assistant Administrator

The ''O'Clock'' options.

I hear many folks mention 4 o'clock for their rig position. I however am always forward of this - electing to be 3 o'clock or just verging a bit to 3.30. Incidentally - I have never gotten on with IWB ... it's an anatomical/comfort deal - so OWB always.

If I go too far back 2 things in particular happen - 1) I tend to find that gun butt sticks out more and even with large lose shirt will print much more if bending etc. 2) It is far less feasable or comfortable when in truck and putting a belt on.

A third issue - a personal one - is simply what feels good for a draw - and what works. I can side-swipe ands flick back my shirt and be on the gun quick, with the draw coming smoothly - it suits my ''claw hand'' position as I aquire the grip. Further round seems more awkward.

I was given an OWB SOB rig .. beautiful leather, but am not that happy with the position regarding comfort - or come to that - the potential for pain if falling. Sitting also difficult. Mind you - the draw is in fact quite fast and fluid.

Anyways - let's hear your views on this, and preferences and why.
    Last edited by P95Carry; March 6th, 2005 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Added an afterthought
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I like to carry right behind my hip bone, be it OWB or IWB. for me it would be 8 oclock as I am a leftie. SOB seemd too uncomfortable and printed too much for me.

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm ... so then the 8 is effectively of course the lefty equivalent of a righty's 4. I can see the hip bone aspect and I guess driving this works out better than a 4.

I just find the 4 that bit too far back and as I mentioned earlier - does seem to predispose toward worse butt printing ... well for me! So much is individual eh and a function too of size, dimensions, weight etc.

I did once when playing with open - try 10 o'clock with a revo - for cross draw. Actually made for one heck of a fast draw but in other respects just no so practical.
    Chris - P95

I suppose I wear my IWB holster technically at 3:15, which is the second belt loop from the right. The straps on the holster straddle that belt loop, with one strap being on each side of the belt loop.

The holster has a 15 degree cant, which is more than I like, but it works OK and is quite comfortable. If I wear a IWB holster with a 5 degree cant in the same position, its extremely uncomfortable. A 10 degree cant would be perfect.

If I wear the holster farther back, between 4:00 or 4:30, the butt of the gun presses into the seat back of my car, making the draw impossible and driving uncomfortable. Not only that, but the butt of the gun prints through the clothes at the slightest movement.

No thanks, 3:15 is the ideal position for me.

Assistant Administrator
    Ahh, same page Triggertime ... even if IWB. I like the rig ''straddling'' the two belt loops .. it allows me to pull rig just a tad forward when sitting here at desk ... and then ease back a shade when out and about.
    Chris - P95

I guess I'm in the same place as well- I have the Milt Sparks VMII with the forward loop just in front of the right side belt loop.

This places the grip just right, and is very comfortable; the butt rides just below my ribs and due to the "inward cant" provided by my Wide Load ™ nothing ever prints under a loose shirt.
    An armed society is a polite society.
    An unarmed society is a police state.
    A disarmed society is a tyranny.

1952 - 2006
    I also wear slightly back from the 3 o'clock position. I wouldn't say it's as far as 4 o'clock. When It's that far back I always have difficulty accessing my wallet with out having to shift the holster on my belt forward, as I carry my wallet in my right rear pocket.

So I have to agree that the 3:15 - 3:30 is ideal for me.

I have found that the 3:00 position allows for a breeze to blow my shirt open enough for my gun to become exposed when walking outdoors, so a little futher back prevents that exposure.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

DC Founder
    Between 3:15 and 3:30 is about where I carry mine. Sometimes when I am in a hurry I will get it off by a bit and have to re-adjust to get it right. I am curious if it will be about the same when I get a good OWB rig, I currently carry IWB.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I Like to wear mine right at 9 oclock or 10 never at 8 just feel it pokes out to much. Couse us fat guys have that problem

Red face

Okay, Okay.... if my bellybutton (what's left of it) is 6 o'clock, and my backbone (what's left of it) is 12 o'clock, then I guess I have to say between 4:00 to 4:30 IWB, depending on how much beer I had for the weekend!

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Prospector
    Okay, Okay.... if my bellybutton (what's left of it) is 6 o'clock, and my backbone (what's left of it) is 12 o'clock, then I guess I have to say between 4:00 to 4:30 IWB, depending on how much beer I had for the weekend!
    LOL, Prospector I don't think they all know that you just underwent back surgery (they cut him front and back). I expect beer is off your diet for awhile and hey, look at the bright side, it should be easy to conceal that 1911 amongst your back brace for a while
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Cool

For OWB carry I like 3:15. However since a smartcarry is my primary concealed I wear it (if I’m in a vehicle) at 11:45 mexican with the grip end just protruding above my belt. Otherwise I carry in the traditional smartcarry position lower on the pelvis. I also carry it at 12:00 higher up just below my chest with some support straps my SO made for me.
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

I carry my G19 OWB and IWB at 3:30. Due to Ohio's vehicle carry restrictions, I carry in my car in a Blackhawk CQC Serpa, set up for cross-draw at the 2:00 position. Sometimes I think Ohio's "in plain sight" vehicle reg is a blessing in disguise. With the above setup, access to my gun is way faster while seated in my car than it would be while concealed.
    Gun control is hitting your target.
    -- Amegatek
    Amegatek's Firearms Page

I also carry an OWB Galco in the 3 to 3:15 area. Funny...never really paid much attention to the specifics, just know by feel when it's where it should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    LOL, Prospector I don't think they all know that you just underwent back surgery (they cut him front and back).
    Wish you a speedy recovery Prospector...I've had my back opened 4 times...I've got enough titanium in there to build a lightweight 1911!
    Hang tuff...it gets better!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

I'm pretty much in tune with Triggertime. The belt loops on my holster straddle the second belt loop. Guess that would be about 3:15.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links