Calling People "Sheep."

Calling People "Sheep."

This is a discussion on Calling People "Sheep." within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This post is not intended to start a big debate, or get anyone riled up, and it is probably just me, but I have begun ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling People "Sheep."

Calling People "Sheep."

This post is not intended to start a big debate, or get anyone riled up, and it is probably just me, but I have begun to cringe when I see the average citizen referred to as "Sheep" or "Sheepie." Frankly, I think that it smacks of arrogance on our part, like we are so much better then they. Can someone please tell me the origin of the term. Maybe, it will make me feel better about it.

Thanks.

Ron

The early-bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ron , in spite of my tagline i suspect you are right and i am considering deleting it or modifying it . It didnt hit home to me till a recient thread i started , in that it was driven home to me that what we call sheep you see on TV as victims . As a unhurt class the label " sheep " is both humorous and descriptive , after an incident it is an insult to folks who were hurt simply because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time . Food for thought for all of us , and btw i object to the new catchword of Fudd too .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Not all, but some poster do use it in a derogatory sense. They are superior to the Sheep they mention.

I don't belief that the weak will inherit ....., but I give them credit for their own beliefs.

I don't use it, not because I don't want to hurt their feelings but because it is unnecessarily provocative. I want to convert people to the cause and calling them names won't do that.
    I call them 'average Joe's'. To me that is not condescending, it signifies they are neither anti or pro gun.
    I have two very good average Joe friends who are in the process of self-instigated conversion just this week. One is a big time Democrat Lobbyist who is rethinking his values after recently having a first kid, the other is an even bigger Dem woman who's friend got mugged at gunpoint two nights ago. Both came to me and my wife to ask for advice on getting a permit and if we could take them to the range for a starter course.
    If I'd been condescending enough to regard them as mere sheep, and they had ever picked up on that then they would not be asking for the help.

i agree, it does smack of elitism.

DC Founder
    I don't think it is derogatory, either, but some might take it that way. The sheep/sheepdog analogy really is a good one. One that might serve as a conversation starter for training sheepdogs. That being said, I may refer to them as that here occasionally, but not that much out and about....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    it smacks of arrogance on our part, like we are so much better then they.

I've always thought that since the first time I read it...

I concur

RON I agree. After serving in the Marines in Viet Nam many years ago for two tours I put away my guns. I recently started carrying again seeing that society as a whole is not doing well. I train again, not as a soldier, but as an armed citizen, willing and able to defend myself and my family. Even though I am 57years old and starting late in life with my 13 year old, honor roll, vice president of her class daughter, I teach her all I can in protecting herself. We have new folks looking on, let's treat them softly.
    Evil does not have to come as a Tidal Wave...Even ripples in a lake with time can bring down a Sea Wall...Let's be a WALL...

I didn't think it was sheepie but sheeple. It just means that there are so many people that don't have a clue what is going on around them. When you started carrying didn't you become more aware????/
    May God Bless the United States of America and our troops in harms way.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I don't think it is derogatory, either, but some might take it that way. The sheep/sheepdog analogy really is a good one. One that might serve as a conversation starter for training sheepdogs. That being said, I may refer to them as that here occasionally, but not that much out and about....
    I'm with Bumper on this. I don't go around & argue with the & call them a . I try to convert where possible & to educate if possible.

The analogy is appropriate & some people will always be & others will be wolves...The best that we can hope for is more sheepdogs.-----or possibly with fangs.

If the are upset with that description.....to bad, it's accurate. I for one, will not let the make me feel guilty over their impotence. (an impotence that they can correct!)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

JRK
    [QUOTE=0.02;318853] "I want to convert people to the cause and calling them names won't do that."

Couldn't agree more!

Good example: Since I started carrying, I have not only converted the lady I am dating but her two VERY liberal 20 something daughters. The 22 year old wants me to take her shooting. All three received Pepper spray, among other things, for Christmas. When I first started carrying you would have thought I had a grenade launcher in my pocket. Explaining what they see in the papers can happen to them does wonders. All in the name of education.....And reality!
    Evil does not have to come as a Tidal Wave...Even ripples in a lake with time can bring down a Sea Wall...Let's be a WALL...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    This post is not intended to start a big debate, or get anyone riled up, and it is probably just me, but I have begun to cringe when I see the average citizen referred to as "Sheep" or "Sheepie." Frankly, I think that it smacks of arrogance on our part, like we are so much better then they. Can someone please tell me the origin of the term. Maybe, it will make me feel better about it.

Thanks.

Ron
    Not only that I have seen posts referring to those of us that play within the law as sheep. Some of the posters must realize this an open site and any reporter looking for an anti story can read our posts.

One more thing...Pepper spray today, Sigs,Glocks, Kimbers, Xd's or wehatever tomorrow. We are all on the same page>

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links