Yes...this too can happen to you. - Page 2

Yes...this too can happen to you.

This is a discussion on Yes...this too can happen to you. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; GREAT POST. It just helps reinforce for me the extra effort to keep the fear in me before, during, and after I go to the ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yes...this too can happen to you.

GREAT POST. It just helps reinforce for me the extra effort to keep the fear in me before, during, and after I go to the range tomorrow myself. We're all human and we all make mistakes. However, incidents like this can help remind the rest of us to stay vigilant to minimize ours or hopefully avoid them all together.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Ouch, ouch, ouch. That's got to hurt both physically and mentally. Not a lesson soon forgot!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Just glad it wasn't fatal. I've seen 3 gun accidents and they aren't pretty

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Both men are very lucky.

Lessons well learned. Thanks for passing on these stories. We all need some reminders every now and again.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

pax
    Complacency kills.

Thanks for the sobering reminder. Please convey our good wishes to your friend for his speedy recovery -- and thank him for letting you share his story.

"If it saves just one life ..."

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Had one. Thank God (and Cooper's other rules) no injuries. Now I practice "one is enough".
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Had a bud once do basicly the same trick with a high standard . 22 mag derringer ( the da only one ) . He more or less lost the use of two fingers over the deal but is greatfull that he did not kill one of his dogs , or shoot his pregnant ( at the time ) wife .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Um, your "friend" violated three of the most BASIC firearm rules.

1) Keep your finger OFF the trigger until you are sure of your target with sights aligned.

2) NEVER cover anything with the muzzle of a firearm that you do not wish to be destroyed. Especially a HAND.

3) ALL FIREARMS ARE TO BE TREATED AS ALWAYS LOADED. Regardless of ANYTHING someone tells you, especially with the slide closed.

Rack the slide...more than once if need be to verify. Use the slide lock and visually inspect the chamber.

Had that 1911, even in a "malfunctioning" state been pointed in a safe direction and your friend "bumped" the trigger, all would be well with his body.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Fuddy , you are right in what you say , and if we all did this all the time no nd's would happen , sad fact is we are not and they do . Usualy with no injurys , and no comments . Firearms are proven to be safer than " empty " 5 gallen buckets. We need to keep a good safety record . Any device that will bore a hole thro steel at 25 yards tho will have some folks bore holes that are unwanted . Occationaly tragicly , but it never seems to reach the level of swimming pool accidents or auto accidents that hurts folks .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Fuddy , you are right in what you say , and if we all did this all the time no nd's would happen , sad fact is we are not and they do . Usualy with no injurys , and no comments . Firearms are proven to be safer than " empty " 5 gallen buckets. We need to keep a good safety record . Any device that will bore a hole thro steel at 25 yards tho will have some folks bore holes that are unwanted . Occationaly tragicly , but it never seems to reach the level of swimming pool accidents or auto accidents that hurts folks .
    Redneck, I'm talking about the idiot who SHOT himself in the hand. I've owned firearms for over 30 years. Been carrying for the last 16 when it was made legal where I lived. Have I had an AD/ND? Sure, but it was ONLY when a weapon malfunctioned (i.e. slam fire). EVERY time the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction. Whenever I chamber ANY of my CC pistols, I do it with the muzzle pointed in a "safe" direction. Sure, if it malfunctions it may put a hole in something I really didn't want a hole in, but I'll be damned if I EVER put a hole in myself or any other loved one (including pets) that cannot be replaced.

Believe it or not, I've never ever had a negligent discharge because I inadvertently pulled the trigger. Ever. And I carry everything from 1911's to Glocks. Yes, the evil Glocks with NO external safety. Oh, the horror. Then there's my several Kahr pistols... And the Kel-Tecs...
    Last edited by Bumper; March 17th, 2007 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Too much information....

Hubris kills, fludy.

VIP Member
    Very good reminder, thanks for posting!

I know people that think I'm nuts for checking a firearm that was just checked when I handed it to them and they hand it back. They say "you know it's unloaded, you just checked it!"
    I tell them, if I make myself check everytime I pick up a gun or I'm handed a gun, hopefully I won't forget!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I will be showing this to my son...make sure he knows the impact of being complacent with firearms and reinforce the rules for firearms.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    The Lord was looking after him. Glad it wasn't worse.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member
    Good reality check. Sorry for their pain and suffering, but if it jars us to be ever more safety conscious, we benefit from mistakes not of our own. I make a habit of checking any arm when I first touch it, AND when I relinquish it. If I'm passing it to another, etiquete favors a safe display of the relinquishing check to the receiver.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links