Yes...this too can happen to you.

This is a discussion on Yes...this too can happen to you. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; An instructor once told me that I didn't have to follow the four rules, once I got a "rewind bullet" button installed on my firearm. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yes...this too can happen to you.

An instructor once told me that I didn't have to follow the four rules, once I got a "rewind bullet" button installed on my firearm.

Can't seem to find them on eBay....so I'll stick with the rules.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by fludy12 View Post
    Redneck, I'm talking about the idiot who SHOT himself in the hand. I've owned firearms for over 30 years. Been carrying for the last 16
    Have I had an AD/ND? Sure, but it was ONLY when a weapon malfunctioned (i.e. slam fire). EVERY time the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction. Whenever I chamber ANY of my CC pistols, I do it with the muzzle pointed in a "safe" direction. I'll be damned if I EVER put a hole in myself or any other loved one (including pets) that cannot be replaced.

Believe it or not, I've never ever had a negligent discharge because I inadvertently pulled the trigger. Ever. And I carry everything from 1911's to Glocks, my several Kahr pistols... And the Kel-Tecs...
    And just because you haven't had it happen yet, doesn't mean You never could/will

every time i touch a firearm, i remind myself, the odds of it happening to me have gone up once more...

*knock on wood* not yet, though.

My Hunter's Safety instructor and Boy Scout camp rifle range instructor's name was Vernon C Coats. He was old when I knew him as a kid (1980-85?) and I'm sure has gone to the Great Hunting Lands by now.

The end of one of his finger was missing from an AD. Relax for a second and accidents can happen.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    And just because you haven't had it happen yet, doesn't mean You never could/will
    And because I fully understand your quote, I will not accidentally shoot myself or anyone on "accident"...ever. Take a course at Gunsite, they'll "drill" safety into you before you get a chance to "drill" yourself.

Again, I ask...whatchyer point? Just because there's about a ZERO percent change that I'll get hit today by a meteorite doesn't mean it can't happen right? Anything can happen and it's YOUR duty to do everything possible to prevent a negative outcome. On the grand scheme of things, not pulling the trigger and shooting MYSELF is pretty easy to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by briansmech View Post
    every time i touch a firearm, i remind myself, the odds of it happening to me have gone up once more...

*knock on wood* not yet, though.
    Actually, we will all have a fixed amount of time on Earth. You will only touch a firearm so many times in your life. The odds would go down after each time you successfully handle a firearm and not stupidly shoot yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by PapaScout View Post
    My Hunter's Safety instructor and Boy Scout camp rifle range instructor's name was Vernon C Coats. He was old when I knew him as a kid (1980-85?) and I'm sure has gone to the Great Hunting Lands by now.

The end of one of his finger was missing from an AD. Relax for a second and accidents can happen.
    No AD. NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE, aka ND.

Unless someone ELSE had an ND and shot your instructor's finger off. If so, then I understand, but I highly doubt that was the means of action.

Lets try and keep it friendly here no name calling

me
    WE almost had last weekend. I say we because it was my BUG and My Mother (Also a shooter and Carries) was handling it. She asked to see it since she is looking for a gun she will carry more than her J-frame and wanted to see my Kel-tec. She is more use to revolvers but that is no excuse for either of us to have gotten this close to a hole in the living room wall.

When she asked for it she watched me remove it from my pocket holster and directly hand it to her, I informed her it was HOT. She then Proceeded to point the gun in a safe direction and as she with out thinking moved her finger from along the slide to on the trigger. Reminding her it was hot she proceded to remove her finger for the trigger clear it and dry fire to see how the trigger felt.

I can only imagine (even though it was pointed in a safe direction) what would have happened if I did not catch her finger and remind her again.

I should have known better than to hand it to her Hot and she should have known better than to put her finger on the trigger. But we are humans and forget what we have been told or forget to chek ourselves, Slips happen and they are scarry.

Glad to see your friend is ok.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    Right on Mark... that's another rule I made myself learn... "unload any weapon you're handing to someone else. EVERYTIME no matter who it is!"

I swear, "Murphy" even knows my cell phone number but I don't know why...he follows me everywhere!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    Miggy...actually 3 types. Those who have had them, those who will and those who lie about it! :D :D
    Schwebel...Ill pass it on. Im sure he's doing what the ER told him to.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Shoot well and god bless
    True! So very true!
    Tell you Bud to get well soon!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well...great thread. Ive gotta tell you guys something...and Im even more embaressed about it now!

I guess Im the one who lied about it.... Im the one who shot himself in the hand.....I wanted to warn anyone who handles firearms as often as alot of us do....multiple times a day for me, that complacently can get you killed. Im lucky that I only grazed my paw...and thank god for that fact.

I had handled that firearm all afternoon....stripping it down as far as any 1911 can go and was just feeling way to sure about this particular gun. All it took was 1 minute of it not being under my care and supervision....and it came back to me hot! Its my mistake and only my mistake that I didnt check it out......

Anyway. Im very sorry I just didnt say...."Hey, look Im a ******* and shot myself!"...but honestly never thought it could happen to me and Im not really proud of that fact that it did.

There you have it.......Im was dishonest with you all and I hope you can all forgive me for that. I have never been in this position and handled it rather poorly.

Shoot better than me and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

I applaud your honesty Mr Larsen. I wouldn't be chomping at the bit to tell everyone that I made this kind of mistake either.

But honesty is the best policy, as they say, and I respect you for yours.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

me
    Eric I deffinatly understand the feeling of retardedness that goes along with doing something stupid. I re-learned that as mom almost put a round through the front wall of the house.

No sweat we all screw up, the trick is we need to learn from our screw ups.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Guys the odds of me ever mishandling any firearm....is very very slim now. Much more so than before this happened. TRUST ME!

Shoot much much better than me and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links