Yes...this too can happen to you.

This is a discussion on Yes...this too can happen to you. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Eric, you're an artist. I'd be more worried in you ruining those hands than any embarrassment by not wanting to admit fault but still get ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yes...this too can happen to you.

Eric, you're an artist. I'd be more worried in you ruining those hands than any embarrassment by not wanting to admit fault but still get the warning out.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    As punishment you are hereby madated to meet everybody in this forum and shake hands with ALL.

Get well buddy!

PS: goes without saying that all handshaking will be done with the injured hand
    Last edited by Miggy; March 19th, 2007 at 04:41 PM.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Man that looks like it would hurt!! I don't have much of anything to say since I have also made one very stupid mistake. Mine did not result in anyone being shot, just a hole through a wall, but a very important lesson learned. The casing from that mistake hangs on my key ring to remind me every day to be more careful.
    Eric, I am very glad that you were not more seriously injured!!

Ron
    Last edited by ront; March 19th, 2007 at 06:43 PM.
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

VIP Member
    Eric...thank you for coming clean.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Assistant Administrator
    Ditto what srfl said.

I do know tho it is more than tempting to ascribe a severe ''oops'' to that of a ''friend'' ........

Big thing is - none of us is invulnerable or perfect - but it sure is hard to admit that about ourselves sometimes! Take care.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Guys...I would shake everymembers hand gladly...even with my wounded paw! And yes, it hurt like nothing Ive ever experienced before.
    GUNSHOTS BURN! Even minor ones like this....and its healing nicely...Its been 2 weeks and a day and I didnt miss a day of work. In fact I did my dishes as soon as I got home from the ER...waiting for the local PD to come chat with me.....that was a fun one!

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

VIP Member
    Eric, You learned (the hard way) and we learned too. Yes you will get chided and we will harrass you, but deep down we are all happy you are fine . At least you did not say "I am the only one here that can handle a Glock 40" or words to that effect.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Well, since we're all coming clean here, I put a hole through the floorboard of a Toyota once.

We should do some kind of anonymous poll to see how many of us have had an Ad/Nd.
    "Learn as if you'll live forever...Live as if you'll die tomorrow" - SOULFLY

Where am I going....and why am I in a hand basket???

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    No ADs yet, knock on a very big piece of wood. I have a buddy that started to clean this 308 and took out his wife’s stove after passing through about six interior walls. I also had a buddy (different one) that was playing quick draw and shot his downstairs neighbor in the leg about 0330. It happens all too often, glad that yours was no worse then it was.

God Bless You.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

My only ND may not count since it happened at the range while I was testing the trigger reset. Sent two rounds down range but only meant to shoot one.

As for anyone thinking that it can't happen to them:

ANYONE can screw up and have a negligent discharge. That's part of the burden of being human.

The four basic gun rules are there because NOBODY is perfect.

If I truly believed that I could train myself to be careful enough to never pull the trigger by accident, I wouldn't worry about the safety rules except one: keep you finger off the trigger until ready to fire.

We use ALL of the rules because WHEN not IF we screw up one rule, another will save us.

I believe that everyone's ND is out there waiting for them to let their guard down. The trick is to die of old age before your ND finds you.

I would like to think that I will never have one because I KNOW they can happen easily and I try my best to be careful when handling guns. Oh well. . . . . rant over.

Eric, I hope the recovery goes well.

By the way, it takes real guts to fess up like that. My hat's off to you.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

pax
    Eric ~

My unintentional discharge happened while I was helping with a class. Yep, right there in front of God & everyone. Most embarrassing moment of my life. Sheer stupidity on my part -- the gun was definitely pointed in a safe direction (toward the berm), but I absolutely did not intend to fire it right then. It happened because I was in a hurry, and a little too freaking proud to ask for help with an unfamiliar manual of arms.

Never again.

You're a brave man to share this. Thanks.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

VIP Member
    Heard this the other day on TV. I think it was Mas Ayoob:
    "The two loudest sounds in the world: a gun going bang when it was supposed to go click and a gun going click when it was supposed to go bang."
    Randy Cain.

kpw
    Yep, me too, 20 years ago. .38 in the bathroom...VERY LOUD! My ears rang for a day. Only injury was to the bathroom wall. My brother shot his TV with a .44, I can't imagine how loud that was. It's not something you forget.

DC Founder
    I think we can all understand your reluctance to tell everyone in a forum that it was you that had the AD/ND. I think we can all appreciate the thought behind your needing to tell the story so everyone could learn from it and posisbly avoid a more serious accident. I, too, appreciate your honesty, Eric. It really does, as pax said, take a brave man to share it. Add me to the column of those that hope you recover quickly and completely.

I would also add, that things like this can happen to anyone and anyone that believes otherwise is sadly mistaken. I've never had an AD/ND, but I have made a serious mistake by not following safety rules when using power tools that resulted in an accident. Say it can't happen to you all you want. It can and does.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Lead Moderator
    Eric, just be happy that it wasn't more serious. And it has served a purpose....... To remind us that it can happen to anyone.

I had what I hope was my only one years ago during a pistol match at Camp Casey, Korea. Put a .45 round through the shooting bench, because I let myself get distracted (It also cost me 10 points! ).
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links