Yes...this too can happen to you.

This is a discussion on Yes...this too can happen to you. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And lets all remember that even a superficial gun shot wound (GSW) can be fatal. I have personally seen the effects of ricochet and travel ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Yes...this too can happen to you.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    And lets all remember that even a superficial gun shot wound (GSW) can be fatal. I have personally seen the effects of ricochet and travel inside a human body. The entrance point and trajectory mean little. Once that lead gets inside, it can go anywhere.

Warning! Graphic details follow:

Particularly, I'm remembering a drug dealer shot from the right side using a .22 rifle into the upper arm. Found him dead, sitting on a sofa watching all his blood froth out of his nose. Bullet travelled past the humerus (arm bone), through the shoulder, and (apparently judging by blood loss) through the aorta, while piercing one or both lungs.

I also remember, but cannot prove, that there is a slight chance that a lead bullet entering the body can cause a specific type of infection that is almost always fatal.
    Last edited by paramedic70002; March 20th, 2007 at 08:43 AM. Reason: add detail
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Heard this the other day on TV. I think it was Mas Ayoob:
    "The two loudest sounds in the world: a gun going bang when it was supposed to go click and a gun going click when it was supposed to go bang."
    i like that one

I have not had an AD or ND with my carry gun but.............. I have had two while hunting, one with a rifle and another with a back up revolver. Nobody hurt and only one had witnesses but non the less they were a reminder that we can never be too careful.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by tj1231 View Post
    Well, since we're all coming clean here, I put a hole through the floorboard of a Toyota once.

We should do some kind of anonymous poll to see how many of us have had an Ad/Nd.
    I accidentally fired a friends 25 caliber pocket pistol into his wall when he handed it to me and failed to announce that it was hot. Just call me dumb ass. At least I can say that it was 30 years ago. I hope I've learned some things since then.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I believe that everyone's ND is out there waiting for them to let their guard down. The trick is to die of old age before your ND finds you.
    Or someone's ND finds someone else.

VIP Member
    I had a ND and an AD. The ND was years ago before I got serious about shooting. I was showing the Family's PPK to a friend and when I handed it over, I guess my finger or his finger got in the trigger and went off. IIRC it hit the floor, left a gouge in the carpet and we never found the bullet. The AD was from an old Beretta hammerless tilt barrel that belonged to my father and the incident happened years after the ND. I found it all dirty, gave it a nice cleaning, loaded it, racked the slide and BANG! The gun was aimed up and the bullet passed through the blades of a ceiling fan without touching them. Nice little hole on the ceiling. Cat was sitting next to me and was so scared it did not even move. I knew this time it was not my fault because the darn finger was off the trigger..... but the shot woke my wife up who came out of the room and gave me The Look.
    The gun stovepiped so I unloaded the POS cleared it and broken pieces of the inner works came out (Sear?). I disassembled it, beat the remaining parts with a hammer and buried in the backyard.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Eric, thanx for taking THR on this one! I am glad to hear your recovery is in full effect and we have ALL (I hope and pray) have learned from this very real experience. Takes a big man to come clean and hats off to you...

Eric,

Thank your friend for the posting his experience. Only good can come out of reading it.

As a result of the read I'm more aware and hopefully attuned to the possibilty of an unwanted round going down range regardless of individual experience level. I'm praying for a speedy and uneventful recovery.
    Last edited by INTJ; March 27th, 2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spellin' once agin..
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Most embarassing, scary, and careless moment of my life.

Last night at about 1am I came home from a visit to the parents after work. I live alone and have been very enthusiastic about my new hobby. After a poor day on the range, a horrible day with personal business, a horrible day at work, I went home and wanted to try a new backstrap on my sidearm. I went through all the sizes and founf the small grip to fit best, after dry firing and handling the other 3 sizes. So I'm sitting on the floor and get a grip to see alignment etc. and hear a little movement in the slide I couldnt identify. I racked the slide and the noise was gone. Man the new grip was sooo much better. I could hold much tighter and the trigger pull was sweet. Bang. It is now 4:25 and my heart and mind have finally calmed down enough to light a cigarette. Let me tell you that the last hours have been some of the longest of my life. I waited for the police to come, as being on the third floor of an apartment at night someone surely reported shots fired, but nothing yet. I am so embarassed, shocked, and freaked out. So far Ive found that the round went through a mirror I had taken down, through my closet door, through a bottle of hair gel, nicked the closet racks just enough to chip paint, through my closet wall (making two identical round holes, still acnt explain that one) and into my neighbors closet and into his property therein. I am a good marksman, and have been 100% safe until that ONE time. I am planning on going into the police station and reporting it in the morning as soon as I can find out exactly where the bullet ended up and all damages. I feel like I shouldnt be allowed to touch a firearm ever again. His kids, wife, could have been killed easily. Please be extra careful everyone. If I followed the rules this wouldnt have happened. Updates later. Ayoob was right. Nothing is louder than a band when you were supposed to hear a click. No rest for me tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    Last night at about 1am I came home from a visit to the parents after work. I live alone and have been very enthusiastic about my new hobby. After a poor day on the range, a horrible day with personal business, a horrible day at work, I went home and wanted to try a new backstrap on my sidearm. I went through all the sizes and founf the small grip to fit best, after dry firing and handling the other 3 sizes. So I'm sitting on the floor and get a grip to see alignment etc. and hear a little movement in the slide I couldnt identify. I racked the slide and the noise was gone. Man the new grip was sooo much better. I could hold much tighter and the trigger pull was sweet. Bang. It is now 4:25 and my heart and mind have finally calmed down enough to light a cigarette. Let me tell you that the last hours have been some of the longest of my life. I waited for the police to come, as being on the third floor of an apartment at night someone surely reported shots fired, but nothing yet. I am so embarassed, shocked, and freaked out. So far Ive found that the round went through a mirror I had taken down, through my closet door, through a bottle of hair gel, nicked the closet racks just enough to chip paint, through my closet wall (making two identical round holes, still acnt explain that one) and into my neighbors closet and into his property therein. I am a good marksman, and have been 100% safe until that ONE time. I am planning on going into the police station and reporting it in the morning as soon as I can find out exactly where the bullet ended up and all damages. I feel like I shouldnt be allowed to touch a firearm ever again. His kids, wife, could have been killed easily. Please be extra careful everyone. If I followed the rules this wouldnt have happened. Updates later. Ayoob was right. Nothing is louder than a band when you were supposed to hear a click. No rest for me tonight.
    Glad I don't live next to you!

Scary stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    If you DONT know where it ended up...how do you know it hasn't already killed one of them and the rest of the family doesn't know? Don't wait.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Well I have a story to tell.

My wife's grandfather was a draftsman for quite some time. Although his real passion was spearfishing. In order to get really large fish however he decided to invest in a powerhead speargun.

For those of you who do not know, a powerhead speargun launches a spear toward fish using a standard round, and can be purchased in all sorts of calibers.

Well there were two ways to load this particular speargun.

Way one called, still to this day by him, the hard way. This involved loading the spear into the shaft locking it down with a pin and then unscrewing the breech to load the pistol round. Typically had to keep applying plumbing tape to stop water from spoiling the cartridge. Which was annoying to him.

Way two, called the easy way was to place the bullet in the shaft and ram it down with the spear. Much like a muzzle loading rifle/pistol.

Needless to say the "easy way" eventually made for a really bad day. He rammed a bit too hard and the bullet hit the striker causing the spear to shoot through his hand, and because he was gripping it tightly with his writing hand he lost 2.5 fingers as well. Think a bullet makes a nasty hole, try a broadhead spear point measuring just over 2 inches tip to tip at the widest.

All told he lost half of his thumb and either his index/middle fingers or pinky/ring fingers (I can't remember and dont have a picture handy)

Ended up loosing his job as a draftsman, and caused a good deal of trouble for many years.

So yes it can happen to anybody.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    Well I have a story to tell.

My wife's grandfather was a draftsman for quite some time. Although his real passion was spearfishing. In order to get really large fish however he decided to invest in a powerhead speargun.

For those of you who do not know, a powerhead speargun launches a spear toward fish using a standard round, and can be purchased in all sorts of calibers.

Well there were two ways to load this particular speargun.

Way one called, still to this day by him, the hard way. This involved loading the spear into the shaft locking it down with a pin and then unscrewing the breech to load the pistol round. Typically had to keep applying plumbing tape to stop water from spoiling the cartridge. Which was annoying to him.

Way two, called the easy way was to place the bullet in the shaft and ram it down with the spear. Much like a muzzle loading rifle/pistol.

Needless to say the "easy way" eventually made for a really bad day. He rammed a bit too hard and the bullet hit the striker causing the spear to shoot through his hand, and because he was gripping it tightly with his writing hand he lost 2.5 fingers as well. Think a bullet makes a nasty hole, try a broadhead spear point measuring just over 2 inches tip to tip at the widest.

All told he lost half of his thumb and either his index/middle fingers or pinky/ring fingers (I can't remember and dont have a picture handy)

Ended up loosing his job as a draftsman, and caused a good deal of trouble for many years.

So yes it can happen to anybody.
    Now THAT sounds painful.

And...yes "it" CAN happen to anybody. Doesn't mean that it WILL...

Well let me add one....one of my colleagues, in the Safety business, like myself, had just finished cleaning his Ruger Blackhawk in .357mag. He reloaded the gun and going back to his roots of 30 years and leaving one hole open in the cylinder for safe hammer down carry, lowered the hammer on an occupied hole instead, with his hand in front of the muzzle no less. Even though he was doing so very slowly, the gun went off and took all the flesh and muscle, to the bone, from the thumbs largest fleshy part of his left hand. If you think of the thumb as a chicken drumstick, its the largest part, in the lower left of the palm. Of course I chastized him profusely of his lack of SAFE gun handling. He was out of work for 6 months and had 4 surgeries to make his thumb useable again.

tex
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links