No firearms in parking lot in public hospital

No firearms in parking lot in public hospital

This is a discussion on No firearms in parking lot in public hospital within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sometimes I work as a contractor at a public hospital in Wa state. They are making a new policy of no firearms on the campus. ...

Thread: No firearms in parking lot in public hospital

Angry No firearms in parking lot in public hospital

Sometimes I work as a contractor at a public hospital in Wa state. They are making a new policy of no firearms on the campus. This includes inside cars/trucks. Is this legal? I know you guys are not lawyers. Right now I just hide my handgun in my truck and know one knows. Just asking for any input from anyone from Wa state. Thanks in advance.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

well everyone knows now ! by the way you didn't specify state or hospital rule. this follows as "okie" advice for if an employer rule

generally as a rule if your an employee or employed for an establishment ,sign your life away , or risk giving it away .

as a client no ,they want my business or they dont. here i cant carry to work or leave in car, but i can come pick you up at your employers' while i'm armed . this is only true in the northeast 11 counties ,otherwise i can leave it in the car in the rest of the state.

if you know what okey dokey means then you know how much it's worth .
    stay safe stay legal stay employed in that order .

elance

Are we talking the UW Hospital? Thinking of that poss. based on your use of campus though that could be used for a regular hospital. It's legal for them to do that in the non-university case, but not ILLEGAL for you to break that policy. They can only ask you to leave as a hospital is not a no-no zone as specified by the RCW.

The UW/college answer, according to Dave Workman last I checked (the authority), isn't decided and he doesn't recommend you being a test case. Universities are not included in the RCW, but the law reads that they can legally pass their own rules. Whether this would amount to a college issue, i.e. employment or enrollment, or a legal issue is unknown. I've never heard of anyone with a legal gun/permit being prosecuted for mere possession on a campus.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

[QUOTE=SGeringer;319898]Are we talking the UW Hospital? Thinking of that poss. based on your use of campus though that could be used for a regular hospital. It's legal for them to do that in the non-university case, but not ILLEGAL for you to break that policy. They can only ask you to leave as a hospital is not a no-no zone as specified by the RCW.

No it is not UW hospital. Being a public forum, All I can say it is a public hospital dist. My main cocern is if any one finds out I do not want to go to jail. (I am new just got my CCW 2 months ago)

Just company policy. Not sure if this is accurate, but if you are a contractor rather than a payroll employee for the company, are their policies a concern? I do not know your financial situation but if said contract was lost would you be terminated from YOUR contracting agency for a victimless violation? As far as the legal aspect, the absolute worst that could happen is be removed for "trespassing". Again I am unsure of the nature of your contract, but a comparison that comes to mind is what would happen at one of my jobs. I drive for a pizza place on the weekends for some extra dough (not funny, I know) that has a policy that employees cannot have a firearm in cars or the store while on the clock. We had some gentlemen who have a "contract" with corporate do some repairs around the store. Though they are being paid by the company, they are not employees per se, and if one had a weapon in their car no fuss would be made. The same goes with any customer. I understand that I am trying to compare company policy to a policy of the hospitals property, but going back to the hospital not having any real LEGAL recourse, it logically seems that it is effectively a "company policy". Yeah? Good luck.

Practical considerations

Quote Originally Posted by phoneguy View Post
    Sometimes I work as a contractor at a public hospital in Wa state. They are making a new policy of no firearms on the campus. This includes inside cars/trucks. Is this legal? I know you guys are not lawyers. Right now I just hide my handgun in my truck and know one knows. Just asking for any input from anyone from Wa state. Thanks in advance.
    I can't comment on the legality of this, as I don't live in Washington. But I wonder about the practicality of a hospital passing a "rule" against the presence of a particular item (a gun in this case) inside a vehicle on their premises.

How on earth will they detect the forbidden object inside the vehicle, if it is well concealed there? Do they have a team of security agents that randomly search vehicles in the parking lot? Do they break into locked cars to do this, or do they drag the driver out of the vehicle and rummage through without his permission?

If I were drving my car on the hospital premises and their security team asked to search it, I would say no, regardless of whether I had a gun inside or not. If law enforcement asked to search my car I would also say no, not without a warrant or clear probable cause. Are they willing to use force to then conduct a search?

A "rule" is not much good without a clear ability to detect violations of that rule. You can tell me that I should never have bad thoughts, but how will you know if I do?

VIP Member
    The problem here in Nc is, are there state employees assigned to work there, is there education going on there, and did one check hospital regs before going there. If they can ban smoking in the parking lot.....

Yup...I'm in NC too...Unrealistic, and gun-a-phobic rules in some places...

Ya never know when a gun might leap out of an unattended, locked car, load itself, and just start capping people in the parking lot...

Last edited by Weeg; March 17th, 2007 at 02:37 PM.

This also applies on the PORTS????? since they fall under US Costumes FEDERAL rules??
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Member Array Gun Loving Liveral's Avatar
    Not knowing Washington state CC laws I don't know exactly your options in this situation. I suggest studying in detail the most recent version of the law. In Oklahoma the law has been modified to allow CC permit holders to keep their weapon locked in their car in the parking lot even if the employer prohibits guns in the work place. I am in your almost exact situation: I work in a county hospital and guns are prohibited in the hospital. But I keep it in the glove box and make sure to lock my auto. WHen the law was originally passed, I would not have been allowed to do this and remain within the law. But the modifications now allow it. But all states are different. Oklahoma is a very gun friendly state.
    In Oklahoma, even we liberals like guns!

me
    Is this an employee only lot or an any body Joe Public Lot?
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

If the hospital admitts paitents for psychiatric care,(actually treats them not just transfers them)then the building may be a no gun zone in Wa. Hospital must provide a secure lock-up for you. Parking lots in Wa are okay carry zones. If you do a search of RCW 9 @wa.gov and there is lots of info for you. luteai, a heathen east sider

All I can say it is a public hospital dist. My main cocern is if any one finds out I do not want to go to jail.
    Under no circumstances will you go to jail. Worst that would happen would be a warning not to return under threat of trespassing, and your termination.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    Is this an employee only lot or an any body Joe Public Lot?
    The parking lot is only for the hospital. There is no buildings or houses nearby.

We had the same problem here in SC .The State DA at the time
    L.G.Altman . Said No Company policy overrides the rights of a SC Citizen.I printed out the Carry in car law and wrapped it around
    the butt of my gun and put it in the glovebox .Nothing else was
    ever said ..This was a State Prison parking lot.
    Write your DA !
    When outnumbered 2 to 1.
    Shoot twice!
    Gopher

Links