What to do when your workplace does not allow you to carry?

This is a discussion on What to do when your workplace does not allow you to carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most companys do break the rules as much as they can and as often as they can dont try to tell me they dont ... ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What to do when your workplace does not allow you to carry?

Most companys do break the rules as much as they can and as often as they can dont try to tell me they dont ... Only reason we keep our company someowhat in check is the union so when they get caught they get punished ...

But if the companys ruling is its only cheating it ya get caught well it set a president doesnt it,

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Ok David, I am going to have to wade in on this.

It has been my experience that a chip on someone’s shoulder is usually evidence of wood higher up. Please let me point out that I did not call a member wood for brains, I said anyone who engaged in certain types of behavior should be considered as such. Quite a difference.

Does thiat sound familiar? You see, it sounds just as lame when you said it as when I did. So please, let's keep the thinly disguised personal attacks and insults to ourselves.
    If they are not intended to be such, then please use the writing skills you doubtless learned while earning that PhD, to say things in a less than inflammatory manner. I do not have any authority on this site, however I am a regular reader/poster and I don’t want to see it mired down by the constant bickering that plagues so many others.

The 2nd Amendment has no bearing on private sector employment rules. A company can (and many regularly do) ignore certain constitutional protections, most notably 1st and 4th Amendment, but others on a lesser scale. By accepting employment you have agreed to allow them to do so.
    Yes they do ignore our rights to a large degree. But it only goes so far. If the 2nd Amendment, has no bearing on the private sector workplace, then what other constitutional rights should be suspended in the workplace?

Amendment I
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

What if your employer demands you not practice your religion on company property, even if you do it on your own time (lunch breaks etc) and tell noone else much less let anyone else see you. Can you imagine an employer passing a rule that says you will be fired if caught saying a silent prayer over your lunch? Or what if they made a new rule which said you were no longer allowed to have any bumper stickers, or unapproved reading material (Bible, or American Rifleman for instance) in the glove box of your privately owned vehicle, which you drive to/for work.

Is that reasonable and or acceptable to you? Would they be within their rights?

I can understand rules of conduct that negatively affect the workplace, however at what point do we draw the line as to what rights employers are allowed to deny us during our workday?

I for one tend to follow the rules when noone else does. It has even gotten me in trouble a time or two. (Ironic isn’t it?). However there comes a time when a rule is unjust and or immoral. I will refuse to follow those and I don't make any boes about it. If that means I have to get a new job, so be it. I walked out on one boss who demanded that I lie to a customer. Another time I was written up for insubordination because I stood up for a guy who was getting railroaded by a bully of a supervisor. On another occasion, I got lectured, because I told the salesman at a place I worked, I would refuse service on the next unit he sold of a particular cheap (over priced at any price) model that flat out didn’t work right, and in my experience was unsafe. The mfg ended up pulling that model less than three days later. It seems I was right.

I am a free man, living in what is at least for the moment a free country. I reserve the right to break the rules when the rules are not just. Under your strict interpretation those who helped black slaves escape such as those who ran the underground railroad, were liars and cheats at well.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Ben Franklin) Hmm it seems he broke a few rules to didn’t he. But then again, I suppose he didn't have a PhD did he.

One Last TIme Lets Get Away from making it so personal ... NExt Personal attack Soemones gonna go bye bye ...

I know where the ban Button it and i got a itchy finger to uses it .... No thinly vieled insults will be allowed either straighten up or pack up you marbles and go home and dont come back this is the Last warning ...

Is any of that warning aimed in my direction?

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Bud,

THANK YOU!!

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan
    Is any of that warning aimed in my direction?
    No, GoodSamaritan, it wasn't. Mr Armstrong is no longer with us...
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Whew! I thought maybe I was coming off a bit to strong myself

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan
    Whew! I thought maybe I was coming off a bit to strong myself
    No, you're fine. Based on some of the email I was receiving, some of you thought I should move faster in addressing all of the hooplah that was going on. In these situations, I like to try to give a person every chance to get control of themselves and knock it off before taking action. So far they haven't. For those that thought I moved too slow, sorry I would rather not have to do that if I don't have to. For those that think it is heavy handed, again, sorry, but there are some things I can't let continue. It's all sort of a balancing act.

For the record, I suspended the account in question because he is not compatible with the rules of the forum and the situation was not improving. I wish him well at the next forum.
    Bumper

I have an interesting situtation like this. I am a CCW holder, the building I work in is NOT posted no CCW. There is a line in the employee handbook which prohibits:
    "Possession of weapons, firearms, explosives, or other illegal items while on Company business, Company property or in a Company vehicle."

Now I know what the intent of this rule is supposed to be, but the wording is a bit vague, don't you think? The key here is the word "illegal". Being a CCW holder, it is not illegal for me to be in possession of a concealed handgun.

Wording or not, I carry. P32 in the front pocket. No one will ever know it is there. I've seen this company screw people over. If one of these jaded ex-employees or anyone else goes postal, I'll be damned if I'm going to be left defenseless. Since the building is not posted, carrying is not a violation of the law, merely of company policy, if you read that line above in the strictest way possible.

Of course, possession of alcohol on company property is against policy as stated on that same page, but I know several places in the building where some high-quality hootch can be found, mostly in executive offices. lol.
    "Terrorists don't seem to be too afraid of stern language. But I do notice, that while the fear of death does not seem to deter these people, the fact of BEING dead does significantly decrease their operational effectiveness. "
    - Bill Whittle

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by cls12vg30
    I have an interesting situtation like this. I am a CCW holder, the building I work in is NOT posted no CCW. There is a line in the employee handbook which prohibits:
    "Possession of weapons, firearms, explosives, or other illegal items while on Company business, Company property or in a Company vehicle."

Now I know what the intent of this rule is supposed to be, but the wording is a bit vague, don't you think? The key here is the word "illegal"....
    Sorry Cls12vg30 ! But I believe you are assuming wrong on two counts. First, I don't see anything vague that you've stated. Your company obviously has a "policy" that prohibits the items stated. That is very clear. Doesn't matter that they don't mention CCW at all. It is the company's policy.

Secondly, the keyword is not "illegal" ....I would assume illegal refers to other instruments in your state or at the Fed level that are illegal for civilians to own...maybe artillery pieces, tactical nukes and the such. It is a catch-all phrase rather than attempting to have an all inclusive list.

I've said before that under these circumstances, the decision to follow the policy or not has got to be you're own personal decision. But I would caution you not to try a "loose interpretation" of the policy in making that decision. If your workplace does not provide for a "safe working environment" then perhaps that would be justification enough for some. I would rather have something more to lean on, if faced with disciplinary actions than my own feeble attempt to "redefine" what the policy is.

Hope this helps....keep thinkin!!

My previous place of employment was a "retirement community" of sorts. It's an upscale type place, with a 55 and over requirement for living there. Condos there run in the $600,000+ range, and most residents are lawyers, doctors, judges, etc. There are over 10,000 residents, and the entire place is gated, with one way in and out.
    I've worked security of one type or another in CA for about 8 years. Every company I worked for had a "no weapons" policy, however management always made it clear when asked that the nature of employment dictated a small folder of some type was neccessary for utility purposes.
    So, when I started work, I received the usual packet of papers and my employee manual. I was told my training officer would go through them with me.
    My training officer then tells me I can forget about the employee manual, because everything is contained within the larger operations manual. Ok, no problem. I took the 500 page operations manual home that first morning (I worked graveyard shift) and read it cover to cover. No mention of a weapons policy of any type. I started carrying my 4 inch folder.
    Well, I was seen using my folder, and somebody freaked out and told the chief, instead of asking me about it.
    The chief calls me in, points to the policy in the employee manual, and chews off a large chunk of my posterior, and overrides my objections with,"you should have known better." ? He then tells me not to carry my knife, but I can carry a leatherman.?
    Weeks pass. I still have my large streamlight, and I'm a big guy, over 300 lbs. More than enough protection on my job site.
    A resident sights a mountain lion in the hills behind the community. Soon, cougar kills are showing up all over ther valley. I'm dreading the moment the cat realizes that old folks are slower than deer. A poodle is taken from a backyard. The dept of Fish and Game declares the cougar to be a possible danger (no, really?). The graveyard shift is given instructions to walk each complex on foot, in order to deter a rash of auto burglaries.
    I started carrying my .44 with me.
    Concealed is concealed, eaten by a mountain lion is eaten by a mountain lion.
    My duty to family overrides my duty to my employer.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Darn. I always get to these things last.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnirsson
    Consider yourself lucky on this one. :heeeellll
    Bumper

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnirsson

A realgood thing on this thread as it got out of hand for a while :medievals

DC Founder
    Some of the inflammatory posts (and my responses) have been edited out of this thread if anyone is wondering where all of the excitement went....
    Bumper

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links