Ever had to use your CCW? - Page 2

Ever had to use your CCW?

This is a discussion on Ever had to use your CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't have a clear enough shot during the assault that I felt comfortable taking it. If I had one, I would have. I wasn't ...

View Poll Results: Have you ever had to use your CCW?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 7.98%
  • No

183 76.89%
  • Have Displayed But Not Fired

36 15.13%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ever had to use your CCW?

I didn't have a clear enough shot during the assault that I felt comfortable taking it. If I had one, I would have. I wasn't going to shoot the person I was trying to save unless they were about to lose their head or something where it was "now or they definitely die."

By the time I had one, I was concerned about getting the woman to safety and having to start shooting jeopardized all that.

And yes, I know he will - happened in my apartment building so I'm a target for quite some time and moving isn't an option because my old lady is going to college and we're perfectly situated.

Hopefully the perp will learn his lesson. I doubt it, but this adds another reason to the pile of why I don't EVER leave without a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    I was in the middle of an aggravated assault and multiple felony incident on Friday night - it's why I haven't been around here much the last couple days as I reviewed both what I did wrong and what I did right. Much more of the latter than the former, so I appear to be learning.

In my state, I can intervene to save another from bodily harm, stop a felony in progress, etc. and face no legal jeopardy - so I'm a little more fast and loose than many of you may be. No shots were fired. Everyone went home. I was presented with 'shoot/don't shoot' about a dozen times during the encounter as the perp kept coming back trying to make moves towards me as I waited for the police for nearly 25 minutes. Eventually, he realized that he wasn't going to get close or get the gun, and his intended victim was guarded by someone willing to go all the way - and fled the scene in his motor vehicle.

I'm sure I'll discuss it more later - I'm still recovering from the incident and I'm a little fried still. It's the first time where I had an actual choice of "watch someone get beat" or intervene with potentially serious repercussions when the person in question wasn't a friend or family member. What made it worse was I don't even particularly like the woman in question who was being assaulted, but there are certain principles that I guess I picked up somewhere that come into play above personal preference. I don't have any regrets other than things I might have done a little differently, but I didn't pick the time nor the place nor the event, and it's a reminder that ultimately in such situations that we never do.

Wow, that's crazy. Luckily nothing serious happened and you're ok. Like someone said, keep your eyes open & watch your back.

take care.
    Stops Jihad on Contact

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    By "Use" I mean that you had to fire your CCW at a predator with two legs.
    Oops, voted before I saw this...

My dog was leashed in the yard, a neighbors dog was loose and in a "standoff" with my dog. Gun in hand, I yelled at the other dog and told it to go home. It did.

In the twenty six years I have been a CCW permit holder in three states I have had to draw six times that I can remember, but have never fired. One of those was as a citizen backup to the US Army after hurricane Andrew. The 82nd had M16s but under posse comitatus, no ammo. A mob got out of hand waiting for ICE and WATER and they started to go after a soldier. Couldn't let that happen, so I drew a Glock M30 45ACP and cool returned. I think the kid I was backing wet his pants and he was stammering as he thanked me, but I just told him to find a GUARDSMAN who all were cocked and locked and I melted into the crowd.

Once my wife and I were traveling in the center of the state returning from a vacation with our young daughter. Stopped in Lake Placid at midnight for gas and a pit stop at a 7-11. I pumped gas and the girls dashed for the bathroom. The 145 pound dog was asleep in the back of my 4x4 Explorer. Sleeping right on top of my Sam Andrews Monarch rig shoulder holster and my 1911. Hey, it was midnight in Lake Placid, not midnight in Miami. So the OLD beatup van cruises in and these two salty looking punks wearing gold grilles and dreads scope the place out. They circle all the pumps and STOP to read ALL of my bumper stickers. LIFE MEMBER NRA, NRA Instructor, GLOCK Sticker, 2nd Amendment Ain't About Duck Hunting...that kind of thing. So these two guys slide into a space in front of the store and meet my wife as she exits the store but my kid is still inside. I'm wearing my Banana Republic vest (it normally hides my carry piece) but my kid is still inside the only other pwerson inside besides the old lady at the register is a kid of about 16 who sees the pair come in. He grabs a bag of chips, runs to the counter, tosses a five dollar bill onto it and yells KEEP THE CHANGE as he vanishes into the night. My kid is still in the bathroom, the old lady is clueless and I'm unarmed. But THEY don't know that. I am wearing the unofficial uniform of the CCW (vest) and there's those vexing bumperstickers.... I keep running thru scenarios in my mind: #1 I'm armed and something goes bad and maybe I have a fighting chance and then there's the alternative. Kid FINALLY comes out and I send her to the car. I still can't leave because then the old lady will be toast. So I put on my best "You've-Been-MADE" GAME FACE and just stare at the two until they just leave. I'm shaking like a leaf as I buy a cola and go out to the truck where my wife is holding the shoulder holster for me to slip into. I do so and feel MUCH better. The guys are nowhere to be seen. My wife is worried that they may be just around the corner waiting to pounce on the old lady so she makes me play DICK-FREAKIN' TRACY and creep around in the truck to make sure they're not luring. THAT lasted about ten seconds before I determinerd that they weren't in sight and I went to a pay phone and called the lone cop car in the area. It was an important lesson and I learned it well. It's been about seven years and I would rather feel comforted than comfortable as Clint Smith says.....I feel like my Angels were working overtime that night......
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I have carried a firearm since I was 19 years old. I was in the navy, and stationed in Orlando, Fl. at the time. I had literally just entered the state returning to duty from being home on leave. I picked up my car while home, and my brand new pistol that was given to me by my sister. Florida law at the time allowed off duty military police to carry at the age of 19. I had my base permit so I put the gun in my door panel as soon as I crossed the state line. Within the hour I was run off the road by a truck (hit and run). I followed him for 80 miles before he decided to make his move to be rid of me... He got out of his truck and came at me with a tire iron. I stepped out of my car and drew the gun from the door as my passenger ran inside the gas station we stopped at and asked for help. They called 911 and the Fl. State Trooper that had just left returned. After the investigation, the truck driver was arrested and charged. He was realeased on a PR bond on scene. I thought I was screwed bad! I mean I'm carrying for the very first time in my life and this happens. I told the Trooper and he just laughed and said, "this is Florida, we're pro gun!" :) I liked Florida that year.

Since then, almost 25 years now, I've only used it one other time. I pulled my "backup", a knife, on somebody that attacked me. My Colorado permit at the time covered knives as well as guns. He went to jail on too many charges to list including parole violations, DUI, DUID, assault, assault on two cops, bench warrant too...

Karl.
    Happiness is a warm UZI.
    UZI-World.

Oops, I forgot the KFC incident. That's a story for another time. It's a good one for the "things you shouldn't do with your CCW". Karl.
    Happiness is a warm UZI.
    UZI-World.

Almost 20 years ago, in an un named city...

Some friends and I were walking back to our car 10 blocks away after dark. The area didn't seem bad during the day but after dark it got uglier. A group of "Urban Youths" were gathered in front of a building as we walk down the sidewalk. When we saw them we got off the sidewalk and walked in the road. When they saw us they started in our direction. I pulled my .380 from my holster and held it down along the back of my leg. As soon as they saw that they went right back to where they had been hanging out and just watched us walk by. My friends didn't even notice.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

Opps

Voted before I read also. Sorry

During the Summer of 1990 My Wife with child, daughter 5 yrs old, son of 4 months were at the Burlington Mall in Burlington Ma. This area is very open. I parked the truck in an open area, about 50 feet from the doors to Sears. It was hot that day, in the high 80's and we were dressed in shorts. I took my OMC (now AMT) Backup 380 with me that day, and placed it in my pocket.
    We had gotten out of the vehicle and proceeded to the front door of the Mall, when I heard the roar of a car coming toward us. The driver stepped on the gas, in order to make the car go into passing gear. About 30 feet from us, he slamed on the brakes in order to come to a halt and skid the tires. I looked up at him with staring eyes, due to us being directly in his path. We proceeded to the door, when they rolled up to us and yelled obcenities toward my wife, as she was pregnant with my second son Stephen.
    I turn and looked his way, and found about 5 men in their mid 20's, with open containers (it was Saturday mid morning) I told me Wife to continue in with the children, and I would follow close behind. I then hear the car door open, and turned to find the driver running around the rear of the vehicle with a 2 foot breaker bar in hand. I then reached into my pocket and ordered the individual to stop, and get back in his car. he then proceeded to curse me, and move faster toward me. I odered him to stop again, and he then said "what are you going to do?? use your fat $#@ to stop me??" I then drew the weapon on him and told him that if he should continue,to move forward toward me, I was licensed to carry, and would not hesitate to protect myself, and my Family. I then slowly backed into the front door to Sears where I stayed in the foyer of the building til the PD arrived. Several patrons witnessed the altercation, and gave detailed info, including the Tags to the vehicle. Needless to say, the guys were picked up on a DUI, and other related charges, a short distance from the Mall, and I continued with my Family. I also stopped at the nearest mens' room, to check my shorts
    Last edited by CLASS3NH; May 6th, 2005 at 11:14 PM.

Long ago, perhaps 25 years, I lived in Charleston SC. I was driving from a day of shooting black powder reproductions at a range on Johns Island. I stop at a red light and out of no where comes a big guy, fast, heading to my car, the passenger side of my convertable. He grabs for the door handle as I grab the first gun I can find, a Ruger Old Army. He takes one look, backs up so fast he falls on his butt and runs like a rabit down an alley.

The Ruger, being a cap and ball pistol, was completely unloaded but it is a very BIG gun.

I travel here in Texas a lot due to my job, mostly from big city to big city and I have carried concealed almost 100% of the time. Like most of you I have prayed many times that my CCW would never have to be used, but it finally happened. I was in one of the big cities and staying at a fairly nice hotel, in a good part of town, but has entrances to the rooms on the outside of the hotel. My room was on the 2nd floor, two doors down from the stairwell I had just used. As I set my bags down to open the door I caught movement out of the corner of my right eye. I looked that way, but just dismissed it as being tired from the long trip. As I slid the cardkey into the door and turned the handle I again saw something move. This time the something was a 6'4" dark skinned individual making his way twoard me in a hurried pace and he was staring straight into my eyes. I remember a mouth full of gold teeth just grinning from ear to ear. I also remember the front sight of my Para Ordnance Carry 12 moving up into my field of view. When the big man stopped he was holding something that looked like a piece of galvanized pipe, that he was raising above his head. I never thought, due to inertia, someone that big, moving at that pace, could stop so abruptly. When he did I screamed as loud as I could "BACK OFF OR I WILL SHOOT YOU". Before the "YOU" got out of my mouth he did a 180 and headed back down the stairs and all I heard was the sound of his shoes slapping pavement as he ran away. I called the police and the manager of the hotel and filed a statement. It seems this guy has had his way with a few folks in the past couple of years. I just thank God Almighty that he did in fact stop. I was already starting the squeeze of the LDA trigger in the PO!!!! After it was all over I sat in my room and replayed the event over and over in my head many times to try to determine if there was anything I could have done differently. I finally determined that the fact that I was unhurt and he was not dead things worked out OK!!!! I am usually in a constant state of alert and it really paid off in this situation.

Just so you know I am a 6'6", 275lb, ex club bouncer sized man myself and I really stunned the cops that this guy would choose me. Obviously his previous choices were more of the sheeple size.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Assistant Administrator
    tex - first, good you were on the ball - good ol' perypheral vision wins again.

Second - I think that worked out just fine - although we might at a deeper level of consciousness, wish that sorta guy to meet some ''not so good'' end!! Not by our hand tho!

Yet again I would say - that thx to carry - and presentation - yet again no shots fired but one's butt is safe. Wish it were always thus eh.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by tex45acp
    Just so you know I am a 6'6", 275lb, ex club bouncer sized man myself and I really stunned the cops that this guy would choose me. Obviously his previous choices were more of the sheeple size.
    Criminals are rarely bright in that regard. I'm 6'8" and the size of the average NFL lineman, yet idiots have tried to mug and carjack me before.

The key, thankfully, is try. :)
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by tex45acp
    A few years ago, here in Florida we had us a SPREE KILLER that killed five college kids in the space of just a week. Danny Rolling was his name. Mostly he raped and mutilated young college girls, but one of the kids was a wrestler type guy named MANNY TABODA. Taboda was a sweet gentle giant. But formidable looking. Rolling beat him to death with a baseball bat IIRC. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of fight in the dog.

Predators, it seems can smell their prey, can smell a victim like a shark detects blood in the water from miles offshore. I have a good friend, a smallish guy but a former airborne ranger/ special forces type. One look by him and you'll feel like you're staring DEATH himself right in the face.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    ''Size ain't everything'' as the saying goes! Mind you -
    Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    I'm 6'8" and the size of the average NFL lineman,
    Haha - need breathing apparatus at that altitude? (J/K!).

Joking aside - I too have known small guys - typically a horse jockey I knew - 5' 4" IIRC - and he'd whop the butt of anyone in a bar brawl - he worked on basis of ''heavier they are - the harder they fall'' ...... and proved it a few times - thing is - he was SO darned fast!

Moral? - never over or under - estimate - anyone!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links