Ever had to use your CCW?

This is a discussion on Ever had to use your CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yeah, I do - especially when I'm already at 4600 ft. :) I'm one of the big dudes who's at least twice as fast as ...

View Poll Results: Have you ever had to use your CCW?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 7.98%
  • No

183 76.89%
  • Have Displayed But Not Fired

36 15.13%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ever had to use your CCW?

Yeah, I do - especially when I'm already at 4600 ft. :)

I'm one of the big dudes who's at least twice as fast as you'd expect, and I use the stereotypes of the world to my advantage whenever possible.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

2. Remove Ads

I have never had to use (fire) my weapon or brandish but I will give you guys the story that made me very glad I had my gun. I pulled off I-95 at the Quantico/Triangle exit to get some gas. I pulled into the Exxon station on US Route 1 to get gas. As I was picking up the trash in the car to throw out I noticed out of the corner of my eye someone heading towards my car. Mind you it was dark outside. I sat up and looked the guy dead in the eye and watched him. He had this odd gate and almost ghetto type walk and tons of malice in his eyes. He kept getting closer and I notice that the people all around me were shady looking, at this point my radar goes off (picture the robot yelling "Danger, Danger Will Robinson"). In the console of my car I have my Makarov with me. I reach for it and carefully slide it into my inside coat pocket. There is no way the guy saw the gun, but he must have recognized the motion. His eyes got real big and he did a quick 180 and hurriedly walked off.

This is the only time I have ever felt like that and I have never been happier that I had one of my pistols with me. From that day on I have always carried and I believe I always will.

I have a few other gun owning friends and when I ask them why they don't get their permit and carry they always say "I have never needed it before, so I don't feel any need to get one." I always tell them that the lack of needing it in the past has no bearing on the present or future. Unfortunately most will not carry untill they have an event in their lives that they should have had one, if they are lucky enough to walk away.
    --------------------------
    Rantings of a Right Wing Nutjob
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VCDL Member
    USCCA Member

H&K USPc 9mm
    Para P-14 .45
    Para Warthog .45
    Bulgarian Makarov 9x18Mak
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Walther P-22 3.4"
    Ruger 10/22 .22
    Smith and Wesson 642 .38 +P

Assistant Administrator
    they always say "I have never needed it before, so I don't feel any need to get one."
    That has to be one of the most illogical statements ever eh! Why not - ''I never had a flat yet so - why should I carry a spare''?? No different.

I guess there is just no convincing some folks. Statistically and fortunately, out 100 of these people, maybe only one might need and not have - but sure as heck, they might wish at the time they HAD!

Oh well - each to his own - freedom of choice and all that!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

That has to be one of the most illogical statements ever eh! Why not - ''I never had a flat yet so - why should I carry a spare''?? No different.
    My wife went down to see her Grandma and Uncle in CA a couple of months ago and they gave her some grief about my CCW, guns in the house etc along the lines of why have one when you've never needed it etc.

I told her next time, ask them when they are going to get rid of thier fire extinguishers. :chairshot :chairshot
    /***********
    Phill
    ************/

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"
    William of Ockham (ca. 1285-1349)

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I think I've had one flat tire in almost eight years of abusing cars. Guess what - I didnt have a spare. I took it out to make room for, um, something. When I got something out of the trunk, I didnt put my spare back in.

Both at work and home from overseas....

Of course at work, but only one time while I wasn't. It was two years ago and $2,500 later. I was cleared of everything but the family wanted to fight it. Cleared, no record, no charges, no regrets...

well a few years ago I am going to a friends house (she is 6mos preg at this time)to see how things are, she is not now with her "fiancee" due to violence reasons.she lives on 1st floor apt and as I walk up to the entry I hear loud commotion from her place and I look to the left at her window and I see this guy sitting on her punching her and I immediately yell to get the___ off her.he says ___ to me and she screams help me he gets up with a large kitchen knife in his hand that I had not seen so I immediately pull out my 45 and level it at him and say "think about it I am NOT her".she says something to him, what I can't remember since I am way adrenalized at this point,then he turns and punches her again at the same time I try to get thru the window ripping out the screen (I only have my left hand since the other is occupied by the 45) something clicked in this dummies head and he runs out of the room ,I holster the gun climb in FAST draw and go in the other room where he is keep him in sights and call 911.police get thereand take control, I go sit in my truck and wait for my turn to be interviewed and get out my CCW and DL since I know it will be asked for.thats the closest I have come to the point of shooting a person and if I am lucky I will never have to decide weather or not to shoot again.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    ....In my state, I can intervene to save another from bodily harm, stop a felony in progress,....
    Actually, that's the way it works in most states that have CCW. I don't think I know of any state that doesn't allow you to come to the aid of another victim.

Thankfully I have not even had to draw my weapon and I hope that I never have to. I try to take it with me everywhere I go. I really wish that NC would let me carry to the movies or out to eat.

My GF and I were in a Denny's when a fight broke out. It was getting violent and headed our way. I had my hand on the butt but never had to do much more.
    I'd like to keep things this way.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Quote Originally Posted by KarlPMann
    I have carried a firearm since I was 19 years old. I was in the navy, and stationed in Orlando, Fl. at the time. I had literally just entered the state returning to duty from being home on leave. I picked up my car while home, and my brand new pistol that was given to me by my sister. Florida law at the time allowed off duty military police to carry at the age of 19. I had my base permit so I put the gun in my door panel as soon as I crossed the state line. Within the hour I was run off the road by a truck (hit and run). I followed him for 80 miles before he decided to make his move to be rid of me... He got out of his truck and came at me with a tire iron. I stepped out of my car and drew the gun from the door as my passenger ran inside the gas station we stopped at and asked for help. They called 911 and the Fl. State Trooper that had just left returned. After the investigation, the truck driver was arrested and charged. He was realeased on a PR bond on scene. I thought I was screwed bad! I mean I'm carrying for the very first time in my life and this happens. I told the Trooper and he just laughed and said, "this is Florida, we're pro gun!" :) I liked Florida that year.

Since then, almost 25 years now, I've only used it one other time. I pulled my "backup", a knife, on somebody that attacked me. My Colorado permit at the time covered knives as well as guns. He went to jail on too many charges to list including parole violations, DUI, DUID, assault, assault on two cops, bench warrant too...

Karl.

Let me get this right you followed the guy 80 miles and then he pulls over and you do too and threatens you with a tire iron. So, then you draw down on him. I stopped reading right there, I hope you are more wiser now. The thing to do was to get his tag and call the Highway Patrol you endangered several peoples lives and if you would have squeezed off one. Oh what a mess you would have been in...
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

First, ACP what a good post. Second, some of the people here scare me because so many of you would be in jail or prison due to an unjustified shoot. People, I can't believe some of this stuff I am reading. I hope many of you have either learned by now or have read over your CCW course info again. Whoa.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle1911
    Thankfully I have not even had to draw my weapon and I hope that I never have to. I try to take it with me everywhere I go. I really wish that NC would let me carry to the movies or out to eat.

Don't eat where alcohol is served I am in NC too.

I'm confuzzled...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLion
    Don't eat where alcohol is served I am in NC too.
    In Florida it's forbidden to carry your gun into a TAVERN or anyplace where alcohol is the primary product. If you go to a restaurant that also happens to have a bar area, you can eat in the restaurant portion and be armed as long as you do NOT approach the bar armed. Of course it goes without saying NEVER ever mix gunpowder and booze or beer. If I'm carrying, it's strictly Pepsi or ice tea for me! Please tell me this is also the case in NC.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLion
    Let me get this right you followed the guy 80 miles and then he pulls over and you do too and threatens you with a tire iron. So, then you draw down on him. I stopped reading right there, I hope you are more wiser now. The thing to do was to get his tag and call the Highway Patrol you endangered several peoples lives and if you would have squeezed off one. Oh what a mess you would have been in...
    The state trooper didn't seem to think so.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links