Ever had to use your CCW?

This is a discussion on Ever had to use your CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm creating this thread as a poll. I want to know how many people here have ever had to use their CCW in defense of ...

View Poll Results: Have you ever had to use your CCW?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 7.98%
  • No

183 76.89%
  • Have Displayed But Not Fired

36 15.13%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ever had to use your CCW?

1952 - 2006

I'm creating this thread as a poll. I want to know how many people here have ever had to use their CCW in defense of themselves or others.
    Do not post in the positive if you have had to as a LEO or in some other official capacity, only as a civilian possessing a CCW Permit.

You may explain the circumstances in your post, but I'm looking for one of the three answers.
    Last edited by acparmed; March 7th, 2005 at 11:28 PM.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I havnt thankfully thought i was gonna have to at least show it the other night but that didn happen either im glad

Had to display (sort of)

I posted about this incident under "Reason for Carry" Thread, Jan 4th. I wish I knew how to link to it.

Best/stay safe

Lead Moderator
    No luckily , I have not.

Assistant Administrator
    No - and will be well happy if it stays that way. Bit like hoping, even tho a vehicle is insured, it's way better never to have to claim.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Do not quite understand the contex of "use".

Nor the contex of the word "civilian". I am a citizen, and if you mean 'non police' ok, but that is not what Webster's says.

Don't like to nitpick, but again on these polls, care in the questions will make the results much more meaningful.

Sorry if I offend.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KC135
    Do not quite understand the contex of "use".

Nor the contex of the word "civilian". I am a citizen, and if you mean 'non police' ok, but that is not what Webster's says.

Don't like to nitpick, but again on these polls, care in the questions will make the results much more meaningful.

Sorry if I offend.
    By "Use" I mean that you had to fire your CCW at a predator with two legs.

The use of "civilian" is meant as a citizen, not a sworn LEO.

No offense taken.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Well to be honest, an incident on IH-35 North is what made me realize I really wanted my carry permit.

In Texas it's legal to car carry for a trip and I was going from Austin to San Angelo. I was near the beginning of my journey between Austin and Round Rock. I was in the far left hand lane, and there's a concrete barrier dividing the nortbound half from the southbound half.

Of course I also got caught in some sudden standstill traffic.

About 5 or 6 cars ahead of me, a scraggly looking guy whose face I have finally begun to forget climbed over the concrete barrier. He was walking south, towards my truck.

Anyway, he immediately goes up to the first car and grabs the driver's side door handle. I thought he might have had to get out of his vehicle for some reason.

Then he went to the second vehicle. I thought "Is this guy in trouble? Does he need help?" Contrived scenarios of a distressed soul stuck in gridlock needing immediate medical attention drifted through my mind.

Then I began to realize he was going down the line, trying to find a door that wasn't locked.

The woman in front of me was pretty smart. She slid over to her passenger side seat and pulled out a cell phone. I quickly figured she must be calling the authorities.

I reached into my camera bag and pulled out my 686. At that moment a cop or that gun was the only thing I wanted to see.

I am amazed how calm I was at the time. I didn't get nervous and jittery until I thought about it later. I simply laid the gun on my lap, finger off the trigger.

He got to the car in front of me and saw the woman on her phone. He shook that Avalon's door handle and beat on the glass with his hands a couple of times. I kept my eyes on his hands, sure that he could not enter her vehicle without using a tool of some sort.

Frustrated he came to me. I stared at him, and he stared at me. The gun was laying on my lap in plain view and I don't have tinted windows. He didn't stare at me long. He was looking at that gun. He finally looked back to me.

Finally, he hopped the barrier and started running south again. He was pretty fast.

45 seconds later, a police car came streaking down that side of the highway. The woman in front of me was off the phone and back in the driver's seat. I have no idea if she actually called the police or not, but what was I to do? Call the authorities and tell them that I don't have a CHL but I just brandished a gun at someone who didn't even touch my property?

Looking back at it I think my main problem was that I was relying on the concrete barrier as a backstop. I doubt very much I would have missed at the range of 5 feet but it still doesn't sit well with me. I also should have kept the thing out of sight until he presented some kind of tool to break into my truck with.

It was strange. I was scared but not afraid.

Then again he might have been considering drawing his own gun on me so who can say?

But at that moment I realized that if anything had gone down, I would have had to account for having that gun with me in liberal soaked Travis County. That's when I resolved to get a license in 2005.

1952 - 2006
    Euclidean-- IMO you did not brandish, you merely had it in plain sight, brandishing would have been to have had it in hand and displaying it in a threatening manner. Just having it lying in your lap is not illegal....IMHO..

~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    Euclidean-- IMO you did not brandish, you merely had it in plain sight, brandishing would have been to have had it in hand and displaying it in a threatening manner. Just having it lying in your lap is not illegal....IMHO..
    Absolutely, I agree. And I think you did the correct thing. You said, "In Texas it's legal to car carry for a trip and I was going from Austin to San Angelo" so I doubt you would get much flack from most DPS officers. I did much the same thing when I left work one day and stopped at a stop sign leading to a very busy street. A guy on the sidewalk crossed the street and started walking up to my door. I did not have my CCW permit at that time but carried my gun according to Arizona's open carry law between the seat and console in full view. He grabbed and tried to open my door, which was locked, and when he then grabbed the window which was rolled down about two inches and started demanding something in jibberish I could not understand. I put my hand on the grip, which he saw, leaving the gun holstered. He decided that I was not a good audience for his jibberish and turned and stumbled back to the sidewalk. The situation was diffused. In Arizona that could, I believe, be contrued as brandishing but it's questionable in my mind anyway.

What's really funny is about a year later, I was walking across the street to eat lunch with 3 other people from my office. I should probably mention that I work in downtown Phoenix about two miles from State Hospital which now routinely turns indigent patients out on the street. They stay in the area so they can eat at the shelters, get medical attention and medicine at the hospitals and bully people into giving them money and cigarettes. Anyway, we had crossed the street and noticed three surly looking guys sitting on a bench drinking from a bottle (in a sack). They were all three watching us, but one walked straight to us, bumped one of the guys with us chest to chest and demanded a cigarette. He said no and tried to keep on walking. The guy reached for his arm and I shoved him off and told him to beat it. He then turned his attention to me and got pretty close. As the police department taught me I moved into an interrogation stance and got ready to fight. I raised my voice and told him to leave. One of the guy's friend's decided to come to the party so one of the guys I was with started turning his attention to the new guy until it turned out that he had come to get his friend away from us. The situation diffused pretty quickly when the Capitol Police walked across to us from our building. Someone had notified him. We continued on our way to lunch without any more trouble. The police officer told us when we got back that he made them pour out their almost full bottle of booze and leave the area before he arrested them. The guy that was causing all of the trouble was the same guy that approached my car the year before.

Fast forward another year and I am on a smoke break in the middle of an Arizona summer in the shade on the north side of our office building. One of the women from the office had also come out and we were idly chatting. One of the guys that was with me during the earlier incident was out there as well. The woman and I were both sitting on a planter box, me close to the building, she a little way out from the building. The other guy was standing. I look up and see the same surly guy coming directly towards us and made a nod towards him for the other guy to see. We stayed where we were and waited to see what was about to happen. He comes right up to the woman, grabs her arm and says "give me a cigarette". I stood up and told him to get off the property and, as before he turned his attention to me. He decided I was the person responsible for the plight of the American Indian and started cussing and pointing his finger in my face. I told him twice to get his finger out of my face. He moved closer and continued jabbing his finger in the air right in front of my face and I decided I had had enough. I took a punch at his left temple and put him on the ground. The woman took off for the lobby to summon the Capitol Police officer, who appeared before the guy could get off the ground. He told the guy to stay on the ground while he got our version of what happened. When he asked him for his version he started pointing to me and babbling about the plight of the American Indian again. He ran the guy for wants and warrants and told him the next time he saw him on the property he would go to jail. What's funny is, he couldn't explain how he got on the ground. Not sure whether I knocked some wires loose or if they were lose to begin with. We've never seen him around our building again, but I do see him time to time near the State Hospital with his paper sack.

I don't think the guy is, in reality, that dangerous to a healthy and sober adult but you never know about some of these guys.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Ever used your concealed weapon?

No, nor have I brandished it. Only came close one time. I had stopped for gas on the way home from work, about midnight. I went to the counter, paid for my gas, and returned to my pickup. Before I got the nozzle, a rather unkempt (that's my big word for the day, s'posed to use it in a sentence 3 times) young man, 30'ish started toward me mumbling unintelligibly. I put my left hand out and told him, "That's far enough, what do you want?" He mumbled something about being out of gas and needing money, and started toward me again. He was about 15 feet away ( I know, too close already) and I told him not to come any closer and swept my shirt back and put my hand on my weapon. About that time a young woman pulled in and he immediately went to her window, but she just drove off. He wandered around the station and out of sight. I don't think he ever noticed that I might have a weapon.

I was working for a courier service that picked up canceld checks and mail from banks. Although we didn't carry any cash a few drivers had been held up. I was coming out of a bank after hours (about 7:00 PM) and had just finished putting my bags into my truck when I noticed a man walking straight at me about 15 yards away. I began to back up and he reached the front of the truck as I reached the rear quarter panel. His hand went behind his back and he withdrew a knife. Everything went into slowmotion. I don't really even remember drawing my gun but I remember how big the front sight looked. The only thing I could think to yell was NO! I guess the sight of a determined man with a cocked and locked .45 was an unplesent surprise because the guy yelled "SH**", turned on his heals and ran like I've never seen anyone run before. I called the police and when the arrived I was pretty shaken up. It's not every day you come that close to takeing a life. They took my statement and laughed and said "it will probably be a while before he tries that again". I never heard from the police, I guess he was never caught. I realized that day that I will never again be unarmed, because you just never know.

Coming up on 22 years with CCW permit, have drawn once, and did not fire.

I was in the middle of an aggravated assault and multiple felony incident on Friday night - it's why I haven't been around here much the last couple days as I reviewed both what I did wrong and what I did right. Much more of the latter than the former, so I appear to be learning.

In my state, I can intervene to save another from bodily harm, stop a felony in progress, etc. and face no legal jeopardy - so I'm a little more fast and loose than many of you may be. No shots were fired. Everyone went home. I was presented with 'shoot/don't shoot' about a dozen times during the encounter as the perp kept coming back trying to make moves towards me as I waited for the police for nearly 25 minutes. Eventually, he realized that he wasn't going to get close or get the gun, and his intended victim was guarded by someone willing to go all the way - and fled the scene in his motor vehicle.

I'm sure I'll discuss it more later - I'm still recovering from the incident and I'm a little fried still. It's the first time where I had an actual choice of "watch someone get beat" or intervene with potentially serious repercussions when the person in question wasn't a friend or family member. What made it worse was I don't even particularly like the woman in question who was being assaulted, but there are certain principles that I guess I picked up somewhere that come into play above personal preference. I don't have any regrets other than things I might have done a little differently, but I didn't pick the time nor the place nor the event, and it's a reminder that ultimately in such situations that we never do.

You stuck up for someone you really don't like all that much.

Now that's principled!

Personally, if a bad guy sees you are armed, and is still trying
    engage in assault rather than leaving immediately, I would think that in
    itself is reason enough for shooting him down.

Glad you are ok.

Watch your back, he'll be looking for you.

--Travis--

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links