How often does everyone shoot? - Page 4

How often does everyone shoot?

This is a discussion on How often does everyone shoot? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gabe Suarez advocates dry fire drills as the best use of time and they're cheap too. I shoot 50-100 rounds of .45 every week or ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How often does everyone shoot?

Gabe Suarez advocates dry fire drills as the best use of time and they're cheap too. I shoot 50-100 rounds of .45 every week or two. After I purchase my Valmet in .223, it's going to be alot more!

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Ammo isn't cheap but compared to bowling or going to a movie, it isn't very expensive either. Buy a .22 and shoot a lot for a little. Even 45ACP is a good value by the fun/dollar standard.
    +1! That is just what I did, I bought a .22lr SigArms Mosquito so I could shoot more often / more rounds (525 rounds for $10 for cheap ammo - tends to FTEjt/FTFeed.... or 200 rounds of better ammo for $10 no FTE) and then kick up to the .45ACP for a few magazines to keep up practice on that gun. I will be asking for a shooting range membership for fathers day and that will remove that excuse. I try once a month but soon will go once a week for small # or rounds. Just pick you'r priorities and enjoy but keep shooting to keep up with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Not nearly as much as I would like.

+1

Once a month or so, but wish it was much more often!!!!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Not nearly as much as I would like.
    Alright, I quoted myself for a reason, because I think my "not as much as I would like" is going to be modified.

I had a REALLY bad day at work today, so to work off some tension I decided I just needed to go shooting.

I went to WalMart, got 100 rounds for my Kimber (I only had about seventy FMJs left). Then headed up to the only indoor range around here. The fee is usually 12 bucks an hour, but I would have paid 20 just to blow some holes.

LO and BEHOLD. Tuesday is Lady's Night at the range and ladies can shoot for just $1 an hour.

That brightened my day right there. If I had known that I would have taken a heck of a lot more ammo with me. I got to work on some stances, really work on my grouping and grip and had a really good time. I also feel MUCH better.

I could really see myself going every week for that kind of a price.

More ranges should have Lady's night!

So all in all, I spent $20.00 for a good time (well, maybe a little more if I included the gas to get there, but that's not bad at all).

At least once a week. I tactical shoot every Thursday, And sometimes go to the range. I would be lost if I didn't shoot at least once a week.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

I usually go 2-4 times per month on my own and qualify twice a year with my PD.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

5-8K rounds/yr, on average.

Range or field sessions a couple/three times a month, generally, with 100-500 rounds per session depending on what I'm focusing on. Plus a couple dry-fire sessions per week at home, in between range sessions.

This past year has been a change in the carry weapons I've had, so there has been lots of testing of various ammo, breaking in each gun, etc. The past 60 days or so has been lighter than that, but on average (across a year), I'd say: 5-8K rounds. Have been as high as 15Krds/yr in a year breaking in 3-4 weapons, and as low as 2Krds/yr when not having much time for several months.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I go at least once a month and sometimes twice.

My normal routine is to shoot 4 targets with 40 rounds. I use the targets with the bull in the middle and then 4 smaller bulls at each corner. So put a full magazine in each bull (or try to). One target at 3 yards, 2 at 7 and 1 at 15. Then I hang a silhouette target and fire all 5 magazines as fast as possible at 10 yards.

So I blow 200 45 (ACP) 230gr FMJ Sellier & Bellot, and I pay about $200 for a thousand rounds. So I spend about $40 for ammo and $10 for the range fees a month.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Since it seems only the dedicated shooters are posting, I'll chime in. Not enough. No ranges nearby, IDPA in my area only happens when I'm at work. Work long hours and have limited time with my family. Excuses excuses, I know. If I were to tell exactly how often I get to shoot, I'd get flamed!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Since it seems only the dedicated shooters are posting, I'll chime in. Not enough. No ranges nearby, IDPA in my area only happens when I'm at work. Work long hours and have limited time with my family. Excuses excuses, I know. If I were to tell exactly how often I get to shoot, I'd get flamed!
    I wouldn't flame you. I'd be standing right next to you with my head hung and my hand raised.

My husband goes a little more than I do because he has a friend who has a membership to a private range that isn't accepting new members at this time.

I never asked to go with before because I try to let him have some "guy time."

No guy wants his wife hanging around 24/7 and even though he almost always invited me along I would say, "No." I'm glad he gets to spend some time with other guys rather than always being shadowed by me. So while he went to the range with "the guys" I did the wifey stuff like dishes, vacuuming, laundry, and all that. When I finally realized that it had been almost four months since I'd been to the range I decided that was unacceptable (my fault, completely).

I've been able to make it once a month or so.

I went last week. I went yesterday. Hopefully I will go again next week. I'm hoping to get in the habit of going every week or two weeks. I realized I used the excuse of my husband being gone a lot so therefore i couldn't go to the range. That's bologna. I like going with him, but I don't need him around to go to the range, especially when he's three states away (like he is now ).

Last night I put about 150 + rounds through my .40. I put about 50 through the Mustang.

How much ammo I go through depends on what I'm trying to achieve at the range that day.

I'm usualy on the range at least once a week, for at least 150 rounds of .45ACP, plus shooting 2 IDPA practices and 1 match per month. I figure I go throught about 1K rounds per month. I'm also geting into re-loading, hopefully so I can shoot more:)

AE

Great replies all, thank you. One question... what is a dry fire session? Sounds cheaper than a trip to the range!

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Load up with snap caps, and practice drawing and firing from concealment. The goal is building muscle memory. Or, work on trigger control. Both are a useful, and free, tool.

I used to shoot once or twice a week then money got a little tighter. One thing I learned from other training is that there are other drills you can do to maximize the affect of live-fire training when you have limited resources. I have a BB gun that I use in the house with the same grip angle, etc. I've experimented with wax rounds in the basement and intend on pursuing that route more.

Consider also that you can use snap caps to do some in house training. A .22 is probably a very good idea but I haven't gotten my hands on one yet. I'm considering one for dual use, namely a .22 revolver for target shooting and small game.

When I do get a chance to shoot, I like to maximize my affect. Training with a few different people in quite a few situations has taught me some things. Firstly, I think that most people are too distance and bullseye oriented when starting out. The general size of the target you need to be able to hit is about the size of a balloon. Train like you fight. Consider using balloons as targets on occasion. I've done this in a few places and it's very effective especially for more "tactical" situations because it gives the level of accuracy required plus immediate feedback.

Another thing I've noticed that causes people to "waste" ammo is shooting when it does them no good. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but in my experience the back muscles can only really last so long holding a pistol at the ready. Once they reach the point of fatigue your training value starts to decrease dramatically. I think there are two points to this, one in "bursts" and one in the long run. That is, the first fatigue point is how many rounds fired at a time. I start people with three at most because after that their arms seem to just begin to wobble. The amount of time it takes to "score" the target seems enough time in between "sets". Then there's the "session limit" of fatigue, where you are already fatigued on the first shot of a set. Much like any other physical activity, you have to build up to it. I personally believe that shooting beyond fatigue is a waste of time and ammo.

I shoot every week and more often if I have time. I reload!!! Steve48

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links