How often does everyone shoot? - Page 7

How often does everyone shoot?

This is a discussion on How often does everyone shoot? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; TheHun...Doesnt everybody start @ zero rnds per week when they first begin? That 200-300 rnds a quarter was an estimate before I ever purchased a ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    TheHun...Doesnt everybody start @ zero rnds per week when they first begin? That 200-300 rnds a quarter was an estimate before I ever purchased a round of ammo. Now that I have a place to shoot, a stand, targets etc I shoot about 200-300 rnds a month. I shoot in wind, rain, at night, from my car, 7yds/10yds/25yds, single/double taps, single/multiple targets, 75% from complete concealment.

Dont fear me because I just chose to CC 3 months ago, everybody in here started somewhere.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by HOLYROLLER View Post
    TheHun...Doesnt everybody start @ zero rnds per week when they first begin? That 200-300 rnds a quarter was an estimate before I ever purchased a round of ammo. Now that I have a place to shoot, a stand, targets etc I shoot about 200-300 rnds a month. I shoot in wind, rain, at night, from my car, 7yds/10yds/25yds, single/double taps, single/multiple targets, 75% from complete concealment.

Dont fear me because I just chose to CC 3 months ago, everybody in here started somewhere.

HOLLYROLLER,

I did not quote you, but I did copy your post then I quoted it --- trying to make it different--- it's not about You, it's about the average responses here.
    Sadly only a very few shoots enough to be proficient.
    Thinking proficient and being proficient are two different things.

Now you bought your gun go and shoot some. And your next purchase should be a re-loader (Dillon if you ask me) not another gun.
    With "bargain" price ammo, (your reloads) you will be a much better shot sooner then you would think.
    (I can shoot .45 for less then 9 mm would cost me....)
    Shoot some matches (IPSC-USPSA, IDPA) they are fun, with like minded Folks around.

Once again, I used your lines (as it was the first one and easiest to copy) to point out that Folks with guns should practice a lot.

Dry-fire does wonders to one's shooting skills.
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=16692

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/...t=drill011.flv
    http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/...t=drill008.flv
    (I long by passed that level what I was capable that time)

.22 practice is a a good alternative for dry-fire, but soon you learn that dry-fire is a LOT cheaper and a LOT more convenient.

If I could be any more help, don't hesitate to contact me.
    Last edited by TheHun; April 27th, 2007 at 08:13 PM.

How much would it cost for a reloading set-up for 9mm? Arent reloads less reliable than factory loads?

I agree, when I was considering another pistol purchase I realized it would be better to spend that $$$ on ammo/practice. Thanks for the help, HOLYROLLER.

As often as I can which, with 5 kids to support, my wife and I don't get to shoot nearly as much as we'd like to.

Usually ends up being a couple of times a month.

Anyone want to donate to a range fund for poor old me?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by HOLYROLLER View Post
    How much would it cost for a reloading set-up for 9mm? Arent reloads less reliable than factory loads?

I agree, when I was considering another pistol purchase I realized it would be better to spend that $$$ on ammo/practice. Thanks for the help, HOLYROLLER.

Well if you look around you can by a re-loading setup around $200 everything included.
    Good place to start:http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe...**731***680***

Now it will be a single stage press only, won't be about quantity.

Option number two, you spend around $1500 and you can have a nice Dillon setup. (Brian is a super nice guy. Give him a call and he'll walk you thru.)
    http://brianenos.com/store/dillon.html

It won't be cheap, but it will come with Dillon's no bs life time warranty and actually you are buying an ammo factory, capable of 1000 plus rounds an hour.
    (I can make about 1200 rounds an hour on my Dillon 650, but this time does not include, primer tube fills etc.)
    Well the more you spent the better - faster equipment you can buy.

Quality you asked about, my re-loads represent a better quality then factory ammo---I made them...I don't shoot el-cheapo CCI aluminum and Wolf anymore.
    Currently my re-loads (.45) cost $5/ rounds of 50 but I'm looking at different bullets now, so the price will be less again.
    If you don't mind shooting lead this price can be lowered again.
    You looking at $25 plus if you wanna buy the same quality match ammo.

Good site to check your price if you already know what you will load.
    http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

One more thing, if you ever though about re-loading, start saving your brass now!
    Last edited by TheHun; April 27th, 2007 at 10:15 PM.

Live fire every other month, dry fire daily.

I shoot twice a week and fire 100 to 150 rounds per carry weapon each time. I double that when taking a date to the range.
    Fireman

Carrying either a Glock 23 or 30 each w/ TruGlo TFO in Comp Tac C-TAC holsters since obtaining Nebraska CHP in Feb. 2007

<---------------------The reason I carry.

Ok, to say I have a few firearms would be an understatement... When I used to go shooting, I wasn't happy unless I pulled the trigger 400 - 500 times. Plus bringing friends with me and usually paying for most the ammo just so I can get their interest in shooting sports. I would buy ammo in bulk and still it was a small fortune.

I found myself shooting less and less because of the expense even reducing to once or twice a year and sometimes even not at all in a given year since I don't get a chance to hunt every year.

Since getting my CCW, I know how critical markmanship skills are. Also, I know that shooting accuracy IS a depreciable skill. You must practice and practice often in order to remain an accurate shot.

Since getting my CCW, I have made a point to shoot at least 50-100 rounds, once a month with an ideal goal of once every pay period (twice a month).

Now that weather is warming up, I'm doing at least a 50 round box every two weeks and my accuracy has improved tremendously.

My wife, who is also a CCW holder is shooting about every 4-6 weeks, but strives to make it every month.

Also, I will frequently bring one of my rifles or shotguns and shoot them instead of my carry guns just to maintain proficiency in the long arms.

I might not pull the trigger 400 times in a shoot anymore, but I am shooting 10-20 times as often and the results have given me a level of confidence that I am comfortable with as a responsible CCW holder.

I go to the range at least once per week and burn through at least 100rds each trip. I recently bought a range card membership at my range 99.00 for a year now all I have to pay for is ammo.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

I try and go 1-2 times a month depending on the weather and how much work I have to do. Now that summer break is coming and all I'll have to do is lab work there will be more time. I think I went once or twice a week last summer .
    People have to pay by the hour at their ranges? I think my yearly membership is $35. Better make sure I never live in some big ass city. Best of all, when it's cold out I am usually the only person at the range. Outdoor obviously. I don't mind the cold as long as I can feel my fingers enough to reload.
    I agree with the earlier comments about using .22. I specifically bought a Mark III 22/45 and a 10-22, as well as the p22 so that I could should as much as my heart desired. Not quite the same as the 1911 but for around 2cents a round (compared to 25) it is worth it.
    I can't believe how much ammo prices have gone up in the last year. I think around this time last year a box of 9mm at wal-mart was 10.88 and now it's 14.50 . even two months ago it was 12.88. Wish I had bought a couple cases! Saving a few bucks is always nice.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

p85
    Like I said when I first posted to this thread (#10) I like to go to the range 2 to 3 times per month. Well I just bought a new 10 mm and couldn't stand to not go and shoot it twice this week already. Factory ammo is expensive for this round so, I was glad when I found someone who reloads 10 mm. He parted with a 1000 rounds for me to break the pistol in with for $200. Twenty cents a round is not bad at all. They are round nose lead and are messy to deal with but hey, thats the price I am willing to pay. Besides, I get almost as much pleasure cleaning my weapons as shooting them. I have put 400 rounds thru it and it hasn't hiccupped once.

Quote Originally Posted by jhfox462 View Post
    People have to pay by the hour at their ranges? I think my yearly membership is $35. Better make sure I never live in some big ass city. Best of all, when it's cold out I am usually the only person at the range. Outdoor obviously. I don't mind the cold as long as I can feel my fingers enough to reload.
    I live near a big city and yes I have to pay $6 per hour to shoot but it's an indoor range, well ventilated, well lit, and fairly close by.

I also have a membership in my old home town for a Sportsman's Club that has both an indoor and outdoor range with yearly dues of $65.

Each has their advantages. The first offers gun rentals including full autos, ammo, accessories, gun sales and repairs. The second offers unlimited range time 24/7 but nothing else. I like having both.
    Fireman

Carrying either a Glock 23 or 30 each w/ TruGlo TFO in Comp Tac C-TAC holsters since obtaining Nebraska CHP in Feb. 2007

<---------------------The reason I carry.

I go to the range once a month. Between targets, .40 cal & .38 specls ammo & range fee's I drop about $40.00. Hey, I don't drink or smoke anymore, I'd chase broads but I'm too scared I'll get caught by the old lady. So the coinage is well spent, I actually can hit the side of the barn now, while I'm standing in it.

Oh, and by the way I got my Fla CCW this past week, Yeah!

T-Out

i can shoot 2 times a week for 2 hours per session at the range at my school for a whopping $10 a semester.
    needless to say.. i shoot 4 hours a week. really my cost is just ammo. which for the .22s i rent there (for free) is just $10 for 550 rounds.
    yay! im not looking forward to actually having to pay for such things this summer.

Once a week on average, sometimes twice.
    Always shoot some 9mm.
    Sometimes shoot .22, .32, .38, .380, .40, don't shoot .45 presently unless I rent one as I sold my 1911.
    Always shoot +/- 200 rounds of 9mm, 50-100 rounds of any other caliber.
    I don't pay range fees each visit, pay yearly membership.
    I spend about $50 minimum a week on lead, don't tell my wife though - she just thinks I'm addicted to crack...
    To me $50 is a small price to pay for the satisfaction of practice with my carry guns.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links