What is the best way?

What is the best way?

This is a discussion on What is the best way? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't had to deal with this situation, but I may sometime in the future. Any insights from you? What do you do when you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best way?

What is the best way?

I haven't had to deal with this situation, but I may sometime in the future. Any insights from you?

What do you do when you are out in public? In other words, in a store, restaurant or mall and you have to use a public restroom w/ the open on the bottom partitions? Carrying concealled to me means concealled all the time. I wouldn't want my gun and mag pouch down where it can be easily seen or even grabbed.

That would be an obvious problem. Is there an obvious solution?
    Any thoughts would be welcome.

Kimberfan
    George Orwell: "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

Administrator
    Deja vu all over again... there is a couple threads about this on here somewhere, I'll try to find it for you.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Shoulder holster is the way I go when ever possible.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

VIP Member
    Not trying to be indelicate, but trousers at "half-staff" is probably the best way to go.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Wow, now that is something I've never thought about. I've been carrying since '93 or so & either IWB or a fanny pack & it's never occurred to me about that potential problem.

It must be because I don't use public toilets...

I would like to hear some of the solutions, though.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Senior Moderator
    Wear Depends LOL
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Drop your pants to the knees, then re-synch your belt. Now by spreading the knees slightly you can keep the whole rig off the floor and out of sight. This also will keep your pants from geting into what ever is on the floor of the bathroom, usually not a bad idea in and of itself.

Dont, ever ever ever draw the gun and put it some where else in the stall. This is inviting trouble. Look around a bit and you will find: guns left in stalls, NDs from hanging the gun, by the triger guard, from the coat hook, and droped guns when they were balanced on the toilet paper dispencer. These are just the things that have happened to cops... Some folks recomend drawing and placing the peice in your shorts while you are on the can. You wont forget the gun, and its easy to get to, but I dont think it solves that many problems.

The real trick is geting your pants back on, with a holstered gun haning off the belt. Doubly so if you use a 'tuckable' IWB holster. If you have a good solution for this I'd love to hear it :)

Stay safe,
    AE

VIP Member
    One thing you can do is place your firearm in the crotch of your pants......don't take your firearm off & lay it on the tank! A friend of mine did that & he forgot it......until he was 10 minutes down the road...... .

Another way would be to spread your knees apart enough to hold your pants at knee level....that'll keep the firearm off the floor.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

When carring IWB, after you drop your pants and sitt down on the toilet, wrap the top of your boxers over the exposed grip of the gun. This hide the entire gun from accidentle view, and minimizes the handling of it in a precarious position.

as for OWB i can't help you, I don't carry that way.

MikeV

Senior Moderator
    I'm lazy. Before I even undo my belt, I upholster and hold the gun. I've already had it where just undoing my belt and buckle made my gun spill out of the holster and unto the floor. YEAH drop tests. Luckily that was while at home in my own bathroom, but to keep that from ever happening at a restaurant or theater, I hold my gun. No, I don't put it anywhere like the toilet paper dispenser, I just have learned to do everything with one hand.

Drop you pants to your knees. Keep the knees open to put tension on the pants so they don't drop to the floor. I keep my holster at about 4:00 so in this sitting position the gun is tucked neatly behind my knee. This keeps anyone on the outside from catching a glimpse through the space between door and frame. When standing to button up I keep my weak side toward that same space in the door and frame for the same reason.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

xd40sc with vmII is effortless, really.

with owb paddle, taking it out before undoin the belt helps keep the whole ka-boodle from droppin straight to the floor

and the winner is..........................

638 with pocket concealer isnt heavy enough to affect anything...........

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Hmm, it has come to my attention that what I wrote came out wrong. Before I get an more PM's, I tend to not use public restrooms to do #2, as I tell my kids. I do not have a problem going in public.

To the concerned person that PMed me, it just goes to show the quality of people on this forum & I thank you.

Back to my cage.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I don't want to sound likea jerk about this, but I wait till either:

I can get to a Handicapped stall, so I can lay it next to the wall.

I find a bathroom with a real door.

Or, I can just wait till I get home.

Carry A Glock...

They are waterproof...almost...even wet and soggy they can still shoot!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links