Colorado alert

Colorado alert

This is a discussion on Colorado alert within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know you've all heard about SB 34 by now, but it passed the judiciary commitee today and it's time to start writing, emailing and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colorado alert

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar

Colorado alert

I know you've all heard about SB 34 by now, but it passed the judiciary commitee today and it's time to start writing, emailing and calling our state reps as it will be hitting the house for a vote here soon. I already contacted my rep. on all three fronts. Please do your part.

(pasted from nraila.org)

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Please Contact Your State Representative Today!

Senate Bill 34, sponsored by State Senator John Morse (D-11), passed the House Judiciary Committee today and is on its way to the House floor for a vote.

If enacted, non-resident concealed carry permits will no longer be honored if the address on the holder’s identification is different than the state where the permit was issued. For example, a Florida permit issued to a non-resident will not be recognized in Colorado. No demonstrated need has been presented to justify SB34, legislation that will potentially threaten reciprocity agreements. This bill will invalidate non-resident permit holders as well as create second-class citizens out of Colorado residents.

Please contact your State Representative TODAY at (303) 866-2904, or if outside of Denver, at (800) 811-7647 and respectfully urge him or her to oppose SB34.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=2775

I'd also appreciate it if you would post replies to keep this on the front page for a while.
    This is pretty important and is likely to effect several reciprocity aggreements, so you non-residents may as well call some reps too if you like being able to use your permit in CO.

Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Bump.

This is not good news. Are they afraid we out of towners are going to ride in and shoot the place up?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Seriously. What is the concern with non-resident holders??
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's all about money. Residents who pay $152 for a permit can either do that or get the UT for 1/3 the cost and still carry here. I would assume it's costing the Counties cash. I can't think of another reason, but am open to it. You would think it could minorly affect tourism and actually cost the state money.
    "The best compliment to the Warrior is that others feel safe while you are around." I would add especially if they REALLY ARE safe when you are around.

It may be money driven, but I doubt it. I think it's more about the newly elected Dem majority in the state senate and house wanting to flex some muscle on the issues that they've been losing on. It's our job to remind them that messing with gun issues is a good way to loose your next bid for office.

If they wanted to get more money they would be much better off folowing the lead of states like Florida and Utah. If they think they're going to get more money by eliminating reciprocity agreements they're wrong, and likely stupid.

I was under the impression that the meaning of this bill was so if you are a resident of colorado.. you have to get a colorado permit to carry. You can't use a non-resident permit that may not have as strict qualifications for the permit.

It wasn't meant to be so a non-resident of Colorado couldn't use a non-resident permit of a different state. At least not in its beginning stages that I heard of.

so they changed this to mean that any non-resident permit of any state won't be good in colorado?

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jednp View Post
    so they changed this to mean that any non-resident permit of any state won't be good in colorado?
    The original SB34 stopped recognition of all non-resident permits in the state, either a CO resident using a reciprocal non-CO permit or a visitor from state X with a permit from reciprocal state Y. CO has never issued permits to non-residents. Then it was hijacked by a pro-gun state senator and altered to recognize any and all permits unilaterally. Now it's back to its original evil form, passed in the senate, and now in the house.

^^ What Anubus said.

The police-chief-turned-senator-turned-weasel who introduced this has always said that it's about CO residents "being denied in CO, then getting a non-resident permit from elsewhere". However, the language in the bill is aimed at ANY permittee whose home address (driver's license) is in a state different than his CCW permit. So if you're a Nebraska resident with a Utah permit, you will NOT be legal to carry in Colorado.

Current version of the bill here.

I'm not sure I understand the ramifications of this bill...
    I'm an AZ resident (for now!) I have a CCW and a DL from AZ. I would still be legal to carry in CO, correct?
    How or why would you be a resident of one state and have a CCW from another state, unless you were in the process of moving or whatever...
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

Reciprocity

Bill:

Here is the why.......

Suppose you are a resident of Ohio. Ohio has recirpocity with 16 states but Colorado is not among them. In order to expand the number of states in which you can legally carry, you get a non-resident license from a states that does have reciprocity with those states ytou want to visit.

As an example, getting a Florida non-resident license expands the number of states to 31.

One premise upon which the legislation is based is that you get a non-resident license over the internet like ordering something from LLBean. The fact of the matter is the getting a non-resident license requires the applicant to go through the same process as a resident of the issuing state. In reality, getting a license from Florida is a much more thorough process than getting one from Colorado.

Sen Morse is either ignorant or dishonest as to the situation with non-resident licenses. You folks in Colorado can fix his ignorance by making sure he gets the right information. If it turns out that he is dishonest, well, you'll need to live withy it until the next election

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Sen Morse is either ignorant or dishonest
    IMHO Morse is not ignorant .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by jednp View Post
    Yup, unless it's a Colorado issued non-resident permit. For example, Colorado recognizes the Florida CCW. However, the Florida CCW address had better be a Florida address. Someone from Georgia with a non-resident Florida permit cannot use that Florida permit in Colorado because the permit wouldn't have the same state address as the issuing state.

Grrr... Too confusing. We need the national CCW, just like a driver's license. Any one from any state is good anywhere in the country...

Very interesting...
    I'm new to CCW, so this is a great thread.
    I had no idea that a state would issue a CCW to someone who was not a resident. (non-resident permit?) I thought the law was the same as buying a handgun, where you have to be a resident of the state you're buying in.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

As "RLS of Ohio" stated, this is the exact reason why
    I got my CCW non-resident permit from FL, so I could carry in more states. I travel about 200 days for my job and 31 states was very appealing just for that reason. Now I have to fill out a CO application just to be able to carry in my homestate, this is very flustrating more
    out of pocket $$ and the waiting period.

If this passes, what will be the grace period for us CO residences to make compliance?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links