Commuter student car carry

This is a discussion on Commuter student car carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, GA law is here: http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin...de=16-11-127.1 I am finishing my last semester at a school here in GA. I do not yet have my permit ...

OK, GA law is here:
    http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin...de=16-11-127.1

I am finishing my last semester at a school here in GA. I do not yet have my permit (maybe a month or two away), and carrying at school is illegal anyway, but what about car carry? Before and after I get my permit? I have to drive through some very questionable sections of town and I also work downtown and most times I am traveling in the dark. Theoretically nobody would have a reason to search my vehicle while on school property right? What would you do? What have you done?

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    that really sucks, here in PA there's no legal recouse against me carrying at college, only the college's policy.

From the language, it appears that you'd have to park off campus since you are a student of that school.

I would contact the attorney general's office and ask.

VIP Member
    Not only will you need to park off campus, but at least 1000 feet off campus.

Virginia has an exemption to the gun free school zones for permit holders. Currently we can bring a gun on school property in a locked container, the trunk of your car qualifies. This year the legislature passed a bill allowing permit holders to carry in the parking lots and drop off zones in a vehicle. If and when the Govenor signs it this will go into effect 1 July.

You may check the concealed carry part of the code to see if there are any exemptions, but I would say likely not as they usually remove the conflicting language from other parts of the code.

Also a call or letter to your State Attorney General or local prosecutor's office (we call them Commonwealth's Attorneys here) will get some sort of reply.

-Scott-

Red face

This is similar situation to thread on carrying at work. It has to be a personal decision whether or not to violate a law, rule, or regulation and be willing to suffer the consequences. In your case, if decided to carry, I'd get a very good locked safe to bolt to the interior of your car and lock it up before exiting the vehicle. Obviously would need to always be observant of anyone that might see it while securing it. I think my biggest concern would be having my vehicle stolen or broken into. If you have to report the stolen vehicle, you will also need to report the stolen gun. Can be risky.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Prospector
    This is similar situation to thread on carrying at work. It has to be a personal decision whether or not to violate a law, rule, or regulation and be willing to suffer the consequences. In your case, if decided to carry, I'd get a very good locked safe to bolt to the interior of your car and lock it up before exiting the vehicle. Obviously would need to always be observant of anyone that might see it while securing it. I think my biggest concern would be having my vehicle stolen or broken into. If you have to report the stolen vehicle, you will also need to report the stolen gun. Can be risky.
    I agree, it is the same as carrying at work. The same cautions should apply at school. And I would definitely be sure that it was hidden well/locked up securely. I would not encourage you to do anything illegal but do what you need to do. Personally, I think of my car as an extension of my house (my castle) and don't think anyone should be able to tell me what I cannot have inside it.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Lead Moderator
    best to find out your states laws, then decide what you will do. http://www.packing.org/
    Check out this web site. it should have a link to your states laws. If I leave the gun locked in the truck lock box I like to take the ammo with me.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    best to find out your states laws, then decide what you will do. http://www.packing.org/
    Check out this web site. it should have a link to your states laws. If I leave the gun locked in the truck lock box I like to take the ammo with me.
    Already did, that is where I got the link to the actual GA code. I guess I am just trying to find a loophole that isn't there. But that's the way it is I guess.

Links