Negative aspect of Forums

This is a discussion on Negative aspect of Forums within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ya know there is one thing that keeps occurring that gets me thinking... reading Firearm and CCW forums has a negative aspect. Whenever I run ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Negative aspect of Forums

Ya know there is one thing that keeps occurring that gets me thinking... reading Firearm and CCW forums has a negative aspect.

Whenever I run into someone who as a permit or is into firearms and we start to talk, something interesting happens about a minute into the conversation. They get this glazed over look in there eyes like they don't have any idea what I am saying. Then I soon realize that they don't understand what I am saying.

I have gotten so used to the quality conversation and quality exchange of information on this forum that I take it for granted that NOT everyone likes to research and learn as much as they can about CCW and Firearms, that they are carrying. I take it for granted the amount of base knowledge any given person has regarding CCW etc. In other words I am so used to talking to people on this forum, where I believe, the information that is to be understood as common firearm knowledge is at a very high level.

By no means am I complaining, but really I am saying thank you.

Thank You to all that participate in sharing your vast knowledge, expertise, and educated opinions.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    LOL as long as the folks you see respect the firearm and take approprate precautions ( as they would any other item in the house that can kill like say poisons or powertools ) its all good . Many who feel the need to take responsibility for themselves are not " gun persons " nor do they want to be , If they are safe and packing they are in our camp none the less . Education is good , but when you see " that look " back off a bit and say hey , lets make a day and go to the range instead .. While they are haveing fun is the time to educate , and instill desire for more education .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    Very true ....... it is probably only here and such similar venues that the in depth discussion and analysis occurs. Very easy to regard this as the norm

I too meet folks who while they ''shoot a bit'' and have a permit, are only really able to discuss the matters at a very superficial level ..... followed yeah - by that ''glazed over look'' as we delve into the finer points LOL!

It's good tho we have a place to exchange opinion and info - at least we are in a sense ''flying the flag'' and engendering a standard which ideally should spread further.

Most of us of course do try and do just that when we can but at times the ''glazed over look'' syndrome wins the day
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    OH MY GOODNESS, isn't THAT the truth.

You should try getting together with a bunch of women and talking about it, forget about the glazed look HALF way through the conversation. I say "Gun" and I get rolled eyes and the change of topic from firearms and CCW to clothes, makeup and/or jewelry and whether I wear perfume or not.

SIGH....

Do I EVER wish there were more PEOPLE (man and women alike) who liked to talk about guns PERIOD, much less CCW.

I know exactly what you mean! That's one reason I like this forum so much. There's a wealth of information, civil discourse, and even a lot of good grammar.

When I talk to others who would label themselves as "gun enthusiasts", I end up having to explain a lot of concepts. I think of comments like,

"Wow! You carry a .45! The kick'll just about knock you over, won't it?"
    "I'd get my license, but there's almost no place you can carry, anyway."
    "If you ever shoot somebody on your property, you better drag him inside your house, or you're goin' to jail."
    "I got my license, but I never could figure out how to carry a gun where I wouldn't lose it."
    "Holey moley! Is that thing cocked?! You don't have it loaded, do you?"

And the list goes on and on and on . . .

Thanks to Bumper, who set the tone for this place, the mods, who keep such a good eye on things, and all the contributors who keep bringing the knowledge, humor, and humanity. It's much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Senior Moderator
    I enjoy this place becuase I can talk here about one of my passions.

Some of the guys I work with are "gun guys" too but then I'm a "gun nut" and get that glazed over look too
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Lima : My wife and I are both former LE , I used to be an instructor for LE . In my experiance the women we have talked " guntalk " to are more receptive than the men . Quite possibly because at the time they had good reason to pay attention lol but none the less . Few men come and say i want to learn to shoot , it does happen but not often . For a lot of reasons i wind up teaching the basics of defensive shooting a fiew times a year to one or more women , and when i do the girls pay attention and are basicly information sponges . Some go on to get a ccw , and take formal classes as i recomend , some dont , but all learn and come away enthused , as well as being able to pass the state LE qualification standards with an approprate defensive cal .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

i know exactly what you mean...

my wife says i get that same look in my eye when she starts talkin about my honey-do chores

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Wow, isn't that the truth...

This forum has really expanded my knowledge & has helped me understand certain things a little better. Kind of opening up a different perspective perhaps.

Now, I talk to guys who are gun guys & look at me like I'm from another planet. They'll ask me when the bleep did I become so interested in firearms. I always have been, but this place & others similar have really expanded the knowledge & has inspired me to research related things more (Researching is a strenth of mine, I'm usually the "go-to" guy when supervision's stumped).

Anyways, a big thank you from me too.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Perhaps the biggest impact I see is the 'expert' who's never put their ideas into the 'marketplace of ideas' (here and like places). They've heard such-and-such and have never had it challenged, so it's TRUE.

Express a similar opinion here and someone (usually a number of someones) are going to gently (or not-so-gently) challenge it. But that's a very good thing. Dross gets burned off, misconceptions are corrected, facts are brought to the issue (well, sometimes) and if nothing else, the issue is clarified to it's essentials.

So. You've been visiting these forums for some time. You mention in conversation an idea or issue or criteria and you are proceeding from an advanced level of discourse. No wonder your correspondent 'glazes over'. Frankly, sometimes you're going to sound stupid to him.

Then again, in my case, maybe I *am* the stupid one. Who can tell.
    Clint
    Kansas - The original Old West
    Open Skies - Long Vistas

VIP Member
    Try talking to LEOs that have zero interest in guns, to include shooting them during qualifications or cleaning them when they do....but yet believe that they need guns (well, they do) but private citizens do not.

Talk about disjointed and/or distorted conversations regarding guns. Most of my gun "arguments" are with fellow LEOs who have no interest in guns. Good thing about running into those folks is that it is an opportunity for me to open some eyes and educate some people.
    Last edited by srfl; March 21st, 2007 at 04:03 PM.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I get that glazed over look.But then I find reading glasses and it is real entertainment again.
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

VIP Member
    You definately get your money's worth here!

If it wasn't for this forum I would have never known that some really hot chicks carry guns!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I was at a range once with numerous cops. One of them looked at my Kimber Gold Match and asked..."Why doesnt this gun have a de cocker?"
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

VIP Member
    Agree, +1 and
    The amount of good information found here is priceless. I have seen almost no put-down and knock-down arguments on a type of weapon or caliber that you see in other forums. You like a Glock? Fine! You'll have 100 other Glock owners that will side with you and share info. You will get the usual Combat Tupperware jokes, but they are not done in a mean way but with fun and a smile.
    I am still amazed and thankful about all the good advice I got when I decided to buy a revolver but did not know what to look for. I think it was 3 pages of reviews, advice, comments and whatnots that helped me in a way I would have never dreamed.
    I ain't leaving this darn place. Besides, No other board around has a Tactical Sock & Sandals Team!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links