Tennessee folk

This is a discussion on Tennessee folk within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I encountered the strangest attitude last night from my local PD and thought Id get a second opinion. I called the local police department and ...

Thread: Tennessee folk

Tennessee folk

I encountered the strangest attitude last night from my local PD and thought Id get a second opinion.

I called the local police department and asked them if the building was posted off limits for handgun carry. I informed the on duty officer I possessed a TN Handgun Carry Permit and was attending a function there. I could hear him breathing on the other end almost like he didnt know how to respond. I asked him if he understood my question. He asked me why I wanted to bring a gun into the police station. I kinda got the impression he was treating my call as one from someone mentally deranged or something. We fenced back and forth for awhile with his final statement being that all state buildings are off limits to carry to include the PD.

I attended the function unarmed and saw no notice posted restricting handgun carry. I found the officer I talked to on the phone. He maintained that all state buildings are off limits.

Yo, Volunteers, tell me this aint so?
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

2. Remove Ads

Interesting reaction, wasn't it? Please, LE-types do not be offended, but perhaps you could shed some light on this subject (as i broaden it a smidgen):

Why is that anytime I (several of my friends have the same complaint), a law abiding citizen with no criminal record whatsoever, go into any of the local police stations around here, The officers at the desk treat me like one of the scum-bags off the street that they chase around all day?

Now I don't dress in gang colors, or like a biker. I've spent 6 years as an Emergency Medical Technician, I'm currently an engineer. Not a bone of bad-guy in me, but I feel like they're talking to me like a prisoner every time I need a permit-to purchase, a report, or anything. Why must i be talked down to? I don't need Mcdonald's theoretically friendly service (it would be nice though), just to not be treated like a jerk.

Anyone else have this problem? LE guys: are the desk guys trained to treat us all suspiciously?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

The law in NC is the same all goverment buildings are off limits for CC. This was taught very clearly and repetitive during the class, 11 years ago. I highly suggest you learn your state laws regarding CC, if you don't remember from the class.
    As for the way cops treat you, I have found the samething in some cops and totally not in others. My best friend was a LA County Deputy and my brother n law was a SanBernardino Deputy and I can tell you some cops get a ego charge out of the uniform and authority and some do abuse this, it's not right, but neither is auto mechanics taking advantage of women. Most are totally down to earth if you treat them with respect, they will usually return that respect, if they don't, complain to their superior, not that it will do any good. I look at it as just one of those things, right or wrong it is what it is.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

It sounds good on paper that people cannot bring guns into certain buildings (hospitals, gov't buildings, schools, etc.) but.... the problem is, who will protect you as you travel, unarmed, from said building to your vehicle?

Not all parking lots are a stones-throw from the door. What about the 1 or 2 block walks to a parking ramp? AT NIGHT?

There are a lot of variables at play, and I can understand the desire to not have "joe blow" walking around campus with a gun under his shirt, or "jane doe" with a pistol in her purse, because people fear death and violence. But, what out the safety of the citizens? The SCOTUS has already opined that LEOs have no legal duty to defend/protect the citizens. So who is responsible for the protection of the citizenry? I'll tell you.... the people themselves are responsible for their own protection.
    NRA, GOA, SAF, JFPO

كافر | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ | WOLVERINES!

Yes, all State Gov't. buildings are off limits to weapons carry for all but LEO. I'm a retired TDOT employee and they had huge signs on our doors. Get caught carrying in a Gov't office it's a trip to jail. That being said, unless you were going to a Highway Patrol Office it's not State Gov't, the local Police Departments are under city juristiction - though I believe they too are off limits. The fact that they didn't display the required signing to that effect just means somebody's asleep on the job.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Yes, all State Gov't. buildings are off limits to weapons carry for all but LEO.
    Not quite. Here is the law...

" 39-17-1359. Prohibition at certain meetings - Posting notice.

(a) An individual, corporation, business entity or local, state or federal government entity or agent thereof is authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by any person otherwise authorized by 39-17-1351 - 39-17-1360, at meetings conducted by, or on property owned, operated, or managed or under the control of such individual, corporation, business entity or government entity. Notice of such prohibition shall be posted. Posted notices shall be displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the building, portion of the building or buildings where weapon possession is prohibited. If the possession of weapons is also prohibited on the premises of any such property as well as within the confines of a building located on such property, the notice shall be posted at all entrances to the premises that are primarily used by persons entering the property. The notice shall be in English but a notice may also be posted in any language used by patrons, customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession is prohibited. In addition to the sign, notice may also include the international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle. The sign shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, premises or property and shall contain language substantially similar to the following:

Pursuant to 39-17-1359 , the owner/operator of this property has banned weapons on this property, or within this building or this portion of this building. Failure to comply with this prohibition is punishable as a criminal act under state law and may subject the violator to a fine of not more than five hundred dollars ($500). "

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Interesting reaction, wasn't it? Please, LE-types do not be offended, but perhaps you could shed some light on this subject (as i broaden it a smidgen):

Why is that anytime I (several of my friends have the same complaint), a law abiding citizen with no criminal record whatsoever, go into any of the local police stations around here, The officers at the desk treat me like one of the scum-bags off the street that they chase around all day?

Now I don't dress in gang colors, or like a biker. I've spent 6 years as an Emergency Medical Technician, I'm currently an engineer. Not a bone of bad-guy in me, but I feel like they're talking to me like a prisoner every time I need a permit-to purchase, a report, or anything. Why must i be talked down to? I don't need Mcdonald's theoretically friendly service (it would be nice though), just to not be treated like a jerk.

Anyone else have this problem? LE guys: are the desk guys trained to treat us all suspiciously?
    As a former LEO I can tell you the simple answer. We (well "they" really since I am no longer a LEO) are trained with a deeply ingrained "Us vs. Them" mentality. And anyone who isn't a LEO is a "them". Plain and simple.
    If you aren't a cop, you fall into the the category, the scum bag. Now, not all cops feel this way, I didn't. But sadly, a lot of the guys who get into law enforcement when they are really young and impressionable do.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I'm a 911 operator/dispatcher that works the window (we all do in our pd). When you have dealt with a long line of the worst of society, it is difficult at times to change, on a dime, when one of the best of society approaches. I try to give the best customer service (taxpayers are customers) I can. Just be patient with your public servants. It's nothing personal.
    Press the fight!

Another whatever...

I guess my issue is one of disappointment in the PD image projected to me by that officer, vague and negative. I kinda expected more. I know, as a TN Handgun Carry Permit holder, I can legally carry a handgun in TN state/government buildings that are not posted prohibiting such(excluding judicial proceedings), all I wanted to know was if it was posted.

So, another whatever moment.

I can certainly understand why you might have felt the sense of disappointment you did. The demeanor was probably contrary to the whole generalized concept of "serve & protect".

Yet at the same time, it also seems that you ultimately categorized it appropriately: just another "whatever moment", that is, one of no major significant impact.

I'm sure there are many LEOS in that dept whose 1st-time interaction with a citizen instead brought a welcome sigh of relief and probably (hopefully) the prevention of a serious crime when prevention was needed. Sometimes ya gotta really walk or think in the other party's mocassins a bit before you can really qualitatively assess the appropriateness of their demeanor or attitude.

They have a hard job. They don't have amongst the highest occupational ratio frequency of divorces, suicides, alcoholism, etc. for nothing. And that's NOT meant to disparage LEOs at all, either. It's just a common and frequent end-result of a job that can be quite stressful and/or relatively thankless 24-7-365. It's gotta take a toll, at least amongs a certain percentage who might not be so masterful at dealing with it 24-7-365. Everybody has their "bad hair days" now & then.

You're also (at least until you met him later on) assessing something sight unseen - a voice on the phone - without the added benefit of being able to visualize eyes, facial expression, body language, etc. Maybe ya caught him off guard with a somewhat unusual question. You could've been anyone calling. All the LEO could assess at the moment was your voice, too. For all he knew, you might have been some deranged looney-tunes. They mighta had 5 or 10 hard-core gang-bangers in detention lockup at the PD station, and you might've been a cohort seeking to try a spring-free or someone contemplating something stupid. Who knows? He didn't. Maybe he was somewhat at a loss because he didn't certainly know how to fully answer the question. Whatever . . .

Some other poster here mentioned a pervasive "us vs them" attitude. I know it exists to some appreciable extent, but I don't think it's overly predominant. I've had to interview LEOs plenty of times, and that's a twist because in that sitch I'm the one asking the very pointed questions, not the vice-versa norm. Most of the one's I've met and know are just "regular people". I think in the vast majority it's simply a case of everyday people trying to do a real hard job that's often thankless and, let's face it, a job that does bring them primariy into contact with the absolute dregs of society a lot more frequently than most occupations do.

I know a good many LEOs who've expressed discontent with the manner in which most citizens view them with discomfit or apprehension even when they're solid citizens doing nothing wrong at all . . . even upright citizens often have an "us vs them" mentality in our own right if for no other reason LEOs represent an authority figure. So all I'm really trying to point out is that there's always two sides to most & any story, and sometimes we only perceive our own side exclusive of the other.

I don't usually spout silly internet cliches, but sometimes they have some merit. Saw one recently that said, "Try to be nice. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle that you might be totally unaware of".

Don't misunderstand - I'm not implying you weren't nice to the LEO yourself - all I'm saying is that it can sometimes be too easy to "rush to judgment". I'm not saying "you did" at all, I'm just pointing out sometimes it can easily happen.
    Last edited by RTC1911; March 23rd, 2007 at 05:52 PM.

Thanx, ya' know this board is kinda like having your own personal online therapist.

Yo Adrian!!!

Self-defense bill passes both houses

The Tennessee bills will soon go to Gov. Phil Bredesen, who can sign them into law, veto them or let them be come law without his signature.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....0201/705080372

Links