Registered for Self Defense?

This is a discussion on Registered for Self Defense? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is my first post. I have been reading for about three or four months now and have found the information invaluable in helping me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Registered for Self Defense?

Registered for Self Defense?

This is my first post. I have been reading for about three or four months now and have found the information invaluable in helping me make decisions regarding obtaining my ccw, evaluating firearms, determining methods of carry and studying situational awareness with regards to self defense.

My wife (who does not care for guns) related to me the following story:

An employee of her's that is in her early twenty's and I am told attractive was at home one morning several weeks back and getting ready for work. She was running later than normal and was getting ready for work in her bedroom. Apparently two black males kicked in the front door of her house. I am told that she called 911 from her bedroom. She also removed a registered loaded handgun from her nightstand. The two BG's entered her bedroom where she apparently held them at gunpoint untill the police arrived. (GOOD FOR HER!)

My wife orginally told me about this because her unnamed employee had to miss work that day to defend the fact that she used a handgun to deter the BG's.

I was and still am somewhat confused. The female in question had a legally registered handgun in her own home and was the one in trouble when two BG's broke in?

I just was informed by my wife that the female was fined for pointing a loaded gun at the two BG's because the gun was not registered for self defense. She was told by the prosecuter that she should have tried to get out of the house as the BG's had not at the point she pointed the gun at them, been a threat. (I would think that two strangers without good intentions entering my bedroom would be a threat.) Isn't this what the castle doctrine allows for?

Our country must be getting pretty messed up when the law that is supposed to protect us is being used against law abiding citizens. I know that she will be going to a basic pistol safety course now and hopefully getting her ccw.

My question is has anyone ever ran accross a situation where a handgun must be registered for self defense? I mean, if I have a gun in my nightstand during the night and my wife has to use it to defend us (Assuming she does not actually fire) Will my wife be in trouble? It is registered to me and I do have a ccw, my wife does not.

This took place in Redford Township, MI. I am going to try and get a copy of the police report and the court case.

Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    You don't say where you are, state wise, but I have never heard of any state requiring registering for defensive use. Perhaps you can find out more?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I am in Macomb County, MI. Redford is in Wayne. While I am not an attorney I have reviewed the law on handgun registration in Michigan several times and can find nothing stating that you have to declare the gun for self defense. I registered my most recent purchase yesterday morning and there was no such question either verbal or in writing.

Sorry I don't have more info yet.

VIP Member
    We will be waiting for more info when you get it.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I'm not familiar with MI laws, but that just sounds fishy. Unless there's a lot more to the story, I would say she was perfectly in the right in her actions. Don't most bedrooms only have one entrance anyway? How could she have tried to get out?

I've never heard of anyone anywhere having to register a gun specifically "for self-defense". Sounds like legislating from the bench. She should appeal.

From my understanding of Michigan law, if you have your CCW license, you must register the gun you will be carrying. But in her case, she doesn't have her license. So seems a little silly she'd have to register the gun for self defense.

People...,the system is broken and it's going to take voters to fix it!
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

That reaaally sounds like one of the classic "antis" arguments: "owning a gun only gets you trouble." Is it out of the realm of possibility? Not if the prosecutor had a strong political agenda. If the city has some special liscensing/registration requirements, or something of that order, she might have fallen afoul of that, but otherwise.....

FWIW, guys kicking in doors don't usually politely stop and tremble at the sight of a firearm, nor would she (statistically) have time to call 911 first, then get her HG, then detain two home invaders who are unarmed(??). If you read up on home invasions, they are very much like police raids- fast, brutal and violent. My poopie-meter is pegged out on this one, as described.

Greeting from Hazel Park, MI

No, there is no requirement or even way to register a handgun specifically for self defense in MI. Furthermore, as of (OCT1?) 2005, there is no longer a duty to retreat in Michigan if you are :
    1)not breaking the law yourself
    2)in a plce where you have a legal right to be (she was)
    3)perhaps some others I dont recall off the top of my head

In any case, she had no duty to retreat. As for being threatened, I would definately say she was. It seems pretty obvious. BUT, the lawyers are lawyers, and nothing has to make sense to be skewed by a lawyer.

I highly reccomend that you, your wife, and your wife's co-worker all take a Concealed Pistol License class. Whether you ever intend to carry of even own a handgun, the class I took was well worth the $100 just for the education on the use of force laws (not just firearms laws).

I can highly reccomend a guy that teaches near gratiot/696 (very close to you). He is a 20-something year cop, and SWAT firearms instructor. Let me know if you want the contact info. (no-its not me, I just met him the day he taught my class recently)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Call a Lawyer who specializes in Firearm Defense.
    She cannot defend herself from any Lawyer. Nuff Said.

Her story doesn't add up...she would have been within her rights to shoot the BG's as soon as they entered her home.

You can get a copy of the police report through the freedom of information act...find out what really happened, then let us know.

+1 Zuki

Lead Moderator
    MI law does NOT have any self defense registration laws. If you own a handgun it must be registered. If the gun was not hers, then maybe she could be charged.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I never heard of haveing to regester a gun for defence. She was out numbered and could have been raped. These two guys were up to no good. If the cops held her for that they weren't using common sense.

I just love these anti-gun idiots it seems like they think we should be beaten,raped,kidnapped, or all of the above before pulling out "the devils tools". I just makes me sick. Obviously this moron who's filing this garbage is probably related to one of the BG's or on a pay roll, we all know how money makes the waters murky. If I was her I'd repeal and get a lawyer who'll know how to make this guy squirm. And by the way I'm glad she's OK and had the senses to keep herself that way, wish there were more safe ending stories like this.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuki-doo View Post
    Her story doesn't add up...she would have been within her rights to shoot the BG's as soon as they entered her home.

You can get a copy of the police report through the freedom of information act...find out what really happened, then let us know.
    I think it adds up just fine. If the BG's didn't think anyone was home, and she was in a back room, she may well have had time to hear the door get kicked, hear voices, call 911, and pull out her pistol before they made their way into the bedroom and found her.

Also, just because you are within your rights to shoot someone doesn't mean it's always the best solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links