What pistols are legal in MA ?

This is a discussion on What pistols are legal in MA ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Guys. I fled the state of Massachusetts about 10 years ago... I will be returning to MA frequently on business. I'm not too worried ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What pistols are legal in MA ?

Hi Guys.
    I fled the state of Massachusetts about 10 years ago...

I will be returning to MA frequently on business. I'm not too worried about getting a non-res CCW permit, but I could use some pointers on exactly what guns are legal in MA.

I am aware there's a fuzzy combination of the AWB and the AG's so-called junk gun policy, so, let me ask a specific question or two.

1) If I wanted a hi-cap (10+rounds) chambered in .357sig, what are my choices? I understand post-98 glocks are out. Is there a clear cutoff date or S/N? How about a sig P229s ?

2) If I had a new hi-cap pistol, I can only posess old mags, correct? Pre 98 or pre 94? If I bought a brand new sig 229, I could only have new 10 rd or oooold highcap, no new hicap?

3) the "permitted guns" list on the AG site lists make and caliber, so even if I found an old highcap .40 (Sig 229,Glock22,Beretta96) rebarreling is out since it specifies model AND CALIBER ?

4) Is a 2002 Sig239 (7-rd cap) legal? How about a Kahr P9 (8-rd)? And how about a norinco 1911?

Thanks for pointers, links, tips, advice, and sympathy!
    Last edited by srfl; March 22nd, 2007 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Edited Massachusetts.

Check out packing.org. they have the most complete list of state by state laws in an easy to understand format on the web (imo)

Her's all you need to be legal in Ma.
    http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopshome...Home&sid=Eeops <--------Attny gen site
    http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopssubt...ters&sid=Eeops ROSTER OF APPROVED FIREARMS...........NO Kimbers, no H&Ks, no small berettas, and the list goes on..
    make sure you also have a Non-Resident LTC.. (100.00 a year to have)
    Last edited by CLASS3NH; March 21st, 2007 at 11:45 PM.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Thank you Class3NH.

So, if a gun is on the "approved list" and I have a class A carry and 10-round mag, I am good to go.

And if I have a "approved list" pistol and an old (pre 94? 98?) lage mag, I am ok.

But the "largecapacity firearms" list muddies things. SOME glocks are allowed and some are not? What gives ? How can you have hicap firearms when you must have a post-ban mag to make them hicap ?

And what about my bushmaster AR ? that's not permitted at all?

What if you own a beretta .22 ? was that outlawed? grandfathered and now non-transferable?

your bushy can have 2 of the 5 items allowed in ma..BUT NOT MORE than the two items.........which means:
    1. OK hi cap mag
    2. OK pistol grip
    NO bayo lug
    NO flash hider
    NO collapsable stock..
    The Glocks go by S/N range...Most of the glocks also are S/Nd with a designation that it either came with a hi cap, or a 10 shooter mag. (they can tell by running your S/N on the gun) I work Part- Time at Kittery Trading Post and we run into the same stuff al the time from Ma Residents. the laws in ma are pretty bad. I live in Nh where it's nice a comfy
    If you bought any handguns in ma, while you were a Resident, AND have the original Ma FA10 firearm sale form, you're safe, otherwise, you're ka-put out of luck..

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Only the ones owned by Drunken, overwieght manslaughters who happen to be senators.......;)

Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil View Post
    Only the ones owned by Drunken, overwieght manslaughters who happen to be senators.......;)
    Ohhhhhhhh the ones who own Oldsmobiles?? and take em to the 'jump in the river" car wash??

Mass Guns

So the waters are muddy on this issue. But as a Mass instructor I'll give you my best stab (IANAL).

The restrictions (AG list and such) for Pistols relate only to the Purchase of firearms through an FFl. Possesion, as long as you have the appropriate liscence is always okay. That means if you have a Class A, LTC, Non-Resident you may carry any pistol you legaly own loaded and concealed on your person. Even if that gun is not on the approved list. Class A is the ONLy one that will let you carry concealed, it is also the one you need for Large Capacity Handguns. If you get a Class B leave the high-cap mags behind, and dont cary on your person.

As for rifles: the Mass AWB puts the penalty on possesion, so no flash hiders, bayonet lugs, or colapsable stocks if you have a semi auto with a pistol grip.

Also: if you want non-internet board advice call GOAl.org and ask to speak to Nancy Snow. Goal is our local lobby group, and they are always willing to help out gun owners with questions. My advice above _should_ be the same thing they will say (based on my many conversations with them) but they are the source.

Good Luck,
    AE

P.S. If your going to be in worcester and want to go shooting PM me.
    AE

Thanks guys.
    Class3NH - what the hell is a FA-10 ? Are those the 3"x 8" slips of tissue paper with transfer info? Yup got em... Cover the ARs & AK & 10-22 but those were the only hicaps I had. Well I have a 1911 single stack with a big long 15 round mag, lord knows how that falls into the rules!

Arcticelf, Thank you also. Very good point of the AG's rules only applying to sale, not possession. So it goes to reason that I as a nonres, classA, I could buy a new glock 17 in my home state (for example) and if I had pre 1994 hicap mags, I'd be legal in MA. And 94+ mags would need to be 10 rounds max ?

I used to be a Goal member back in the day... Shot a lot in at MRA, Reading, Devens. Now I live in the boonies and have a 75 yd range with the firing line on my back deck!! Will holler if I make it around Worcester (lived there for a year). Offer goes both ways if you find yourself around Portland.

That gives me good info to run with. Old mags + new gun is a little easier to find than old mags+ old gun in the right timeframe.

Probably pretty easy to turn up old glock mags (non-drop free, probably) and may have to dig a bit as to how to discren a preban sig mag.

Great info guys!
    Last edited by Shizzlemah; March 22nd, 2007 at 07:37 PM. Reason: clarification, freakin' impossible to even talk about MA gun laws.

I'm Not Sure...

But I hear the 'Red Rider Rifles'...Christmas Edition...are ok...

ret
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; March 22nd, 2007 at 11:44 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    Thanks guys.
    Class3NH - what the hell is a FA-10 ? Are those the 3"x 8" slips of tissue paper with transfer info? Yup got em...

Great info guys!
    Yup, that little piece of tissue paper, that you recieved when you made a purchase of a firearm, rifle etc while being a Ma resident... If you saved all you have, and returned to ma as a resident.......you could bring your stuff back in with no trouble.. I had a FFL in ma and in NH when I moved north......

Quote Originally Posted by arcticelf View Post
    <-- snip -->
    But as a Mass instructor I'll give you my best stab (IANAL).
    <-- snip -->
    P.S. If your going to be in worcester and want to go shooting PM me.
    AE
    If you don't mind my asking, what kind of instructor are you? I live near Worcester and am always interested in learning more.

Take care,

nasm

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Sorry but some bad info here.

I'll try to take it from the top.

- Sounds like the OP is NOT moving to MA, only traveling to MA on business.

- Sounds like the OP is NOT buying or selling guns here in MA, only carrying them.

- AG has NO LISTS of approved guns, it never happened and likely never will happen!

- EOPS has a list of testED guns approved for sale in MA (assuming that the guns also meet the AG Regs - AG does NOT review or approve anything).

- People traveling into MA with firearms need a MA NR LTC. It is my understanding that CHSB (chartered by EOPS with issuing ALL NR LTCs) ONLY issues LTC-A and in most (if not all) cases there are NO restrictions on CCW with the NR LTC which is issued.

- NOBODY but LEOs can possess any hi-cap mags made after 9/13/94 or so-called SAW (with no-ban features) made after that date. PRE-BAN hi-cap mags and PRE-BAN so-called SAWs are perfectly legal. This is true regardless if you are a Resident or a Visitor (ONLY exception is FOPA - travel straight thru MA do not stop for more than essential food/water/bathroom/gas breaks).

Irrelevant to the question asked but needs clarification due to mis-information in prior replies:

- Anyone moving into MA SHOULD do so with their firearms. Doing it this way, NO FFL is involved, NO FA-10s need to be filed (if you bring them in AFTER you move in, you MUST do an FA-10 on each and every gun brought in)!

- Anyone moving into MA can bring WHATEVER HANDGUNS they own with them! NO RESTRICTIONS on the guns. MAGS however are restricted wrt hi-caps as I outlined above.

- Anyone moving into MA with so-called SAWs, must be sure that said guns are either pre-ban or "neutered" to meet the AWB in MA (same as old Fed ban that expired in 2004). MAGS are restricted wrt hi-caps as I outlined above.

- EOPS List of tested handguns and AG Regs ONLY effect what a MA Licensed DEALER can sell to a MA Resident! It has NO EFFECT at all on possession by citizens or private sales between two MA Licensed citizens (limited by law to NMT 4 guns/year).

HTH

Yes all the above can be verified by Nancy Snow or Jim Wallace at the GOAL office 508-393-5333. Info is also available on the GOAL website. www.goal.org
    NRA Instructor

LenS,
    I appreciate the good info.

One question though - about moving into MA with firearms. Doesn't federal law require that when you move your residence from state to state, the firearms must be transferred through a FFL ? Or is that incorrect?

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Incorrect! Luckily or you'd lose most of your handguns. MA Dealers can't transfer many handguns here, so we're left with private transfers for most interesting guns.

Other than full auto, when you move you take your guns with you (per Fed Law). True too for MA and most states, but I won't take bets on CA or NJ.
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links