I joined and guess what.... - Page 9

I joined and guess what....

This is a discussion on I joined and guess what.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd let my wife kick both there butts. I'd ignore their cry's for help....

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: I joined and guess what....

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I'd let my wife kick both there butts. I'd ignore their cry's for help.
    For God, Family and Country!

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    <<Turning a cursing offense into a physical confrontation by exiting the vehicle to give them two cents' worth was escalating the problem. And the wife put her husband in a very bad situation where he almost had to defend her.>>

Betty, I'm sorry. I respect a lot of what you post here but I cannot agree with you in the least on this issue. The logical conclusion of your argument is that you should never verbally confront anybody about anything, because THEY might turn violent. In Colorado, as quoted above, simply being involved in an ordinary mild argument does not deprive you of the right to self defense if the argument escalates into a confrontation where deadly force becomes justified. I know that's not Florida law, but it was the best I could do... can't find a good searchable FLA law database. I'm sure there must be some similar provision... at least I hope there is. Castle docterine has nothing to do with it, and in Colorado wouldn't apply anyway... they weren't in a "dwelling".

Talking to someone about their behavior is not violent. It's not even necessarily an argument. From the evidence we have nothing the wife did offered violence or the threat of violence to anyone. The wife didn't do the escalating, the kids did.

I admit that there was an element of risk, and the possibility of escalation into violence... that possibility exists in any confrontation or disagreement anywhere with anyone. If someone is engaged in behavior that I find offensive, whether it is swearing, smoking in a no-smoking area, playing loud music or whatever else it may be I have every right to speak to the person in question and request that they cease their offensive behavior. There is no logical reason that a request that someone watch their language around my wife or kids should lead to the threat of violence.

The reason that thugs and various wanna-be gangbangers are so quick to offer violent threats is because they KNOW that 99% of the population will be cowed by them. They KNOW that because it's true, they see it and use it every day. I certainly don't advocate a return to a dueling culture, but there is something to be said for a society where a person must stand by their words with their life.

It's likely that those who have an opinion on this matter won't be swayed by further discussion here. I won't post further on this thread.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

VIP Member
    You're right about people's opinions not swaying. Regardless of differing opinions of various members, we're still all on the same side here. I don't think any further debating will achieve anything but a growing divide, so I've also said my piece.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I read the article. I think under the circumstances the husband took a calculated risk because his wife was now out of control (his & hers). I probably would have done something similar. The second thing I would have done is upon returning home, I would have grabbed her by the stackin' swivels and straightened her out on the topics of de-escalation and disengagement. She probably should go through some training to help her understand situational awareness even if she doesn't intend to carry. Then, if her behavior in similar circumstances isn't modified, leave her at home.

OD*
    Congratulations Chris, looks like you've done a fine job.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Along with free speech comes responsibility. You have to take responsibility for what you say. Nothing in the discussion indicated to me that the wife was out of control or did anything like threaten the BG's. The threats came from the thugs. The husband rsponded to a threat to his family. I side with the husband.
    I have also found in Florida that every LEO has an opinion about the law but very few are lawyers. Remember, just because you can write the ticket doesn't mean it is right.

Weekly E-mail newsletter

Tim

I haven't got my weekly newsletter for some time. Do I have to re-sign-up? Just wondering. Oh, I got my membership renewal stuff just fine. Thanx

KRobb

Assistant Administrator
    I haven't had any newsletter!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    What Chris said! Newsletter?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

USCCA Newsletter

If you go to the USCCA website there is a sign-up box. Let me know if you get anything in return

KRobb

Where's My Magazine?

I just suscribed to the magazine and joined the USCCA today.

I just got back from the mailbox and no magazine yet

Nice touch letting me download ....The Best Of... to pacify me til my magazines start coming. I got my free copy a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Kind of forgot about it until I joined this forum.

Sweeeet

Assistant Administrator
    My new one came in today's mail - another great read tho have yet to go beyond the initial scan-thru.

Presentation is way up there now - what a rapid change over relatively such a short time.

I do believe our very own rachilders has his contribution in this issue - inside back cover - USCAA editorial. (Am I right Robert?).
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    No joy here yet....

I WANT MY MAGAZINE!!

(end of whinning)
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Weely Newsletter?

I had the best of intentions when I started the "FREE USCCA Weekly Newsletter". If you check the website, you'll see that I've managed to get 8 done since June... So now I've renamed it to the "Randomly Periodic USCCA E-mail report.

http://www.uscca.us/uscca_email_report.html

If you haven't received one in a while, it is because I haven't written one in a while. They are immediately posted on the website after I send them out, so you can always check to see if you're missing anything.

I will continue to write these and will also continue to increase the frequency as fast as I can.

So.... How did you all like the cover on the latest issue? My favorite cover to date (Sorry Chris!)

All the best,

Tim Schmidt

Assistant Administrator
    Great cover pic Tim - I am naturally biased a bit toward last one () but hey - I haven't seen a cover yet that I didn't like - least, not one I remember.

Keep up the good work

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thx for the link Tim - it reminded me to go look and so catch up on your email reports - great stuff and now I can archive those. Most useful, thank you.
    Last edited by P95Carry; October 15th, 2005 at 11:10 AM.
    Chris - P95

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Links