Abingdon Virginia is not gun friendly!! - Page 2

Abingdon Virginia is not gun friendly!!

This is a discussion on Abingdon Virginia is not gun friendly!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JohnKelly Actually, it sounds okay to me. Units responded, discovered it was a good guy, and left him to his business. I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Abingdon Virginia is not gun friendly!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    Actually, it sounds okay to me. Units responded, discovered it was a good guy, and left him to his business. I would still consider the town gun-friendly, at least as far as LEO are concerned.
    My thoughts. It's very possible the over-reaction was completely the fault of whoever called it in. If the only info the police had was from a panicked hotel clerk who told them there's a man with a gun sneaking around their rooms, I think they acted appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by mcbridebr View Post
    Law has changed. You can carry concealed into a restaurant that serves alchohol. But not into a bar. Ill quote handgunlaw.us and local LEOs.
    Va doesn't have "bars". We have restaurants that serve alcohol. Now some "restaurants" may seem like bars. A lot of them serve food till dinner, then sort of turn bar-like for the rest of the evening.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Va doesn't have "bars". We have restaurants that serve alcohol. Now some "restaurants" may seem like bars. A lot of them serve food till dinner, then sort of turn bar-like for the rest of the evening.
    You know what. Your right. It just hit me, I have not seen one bar in VA.

I suppose you can say a place like Fast Lane Pub or something like that would be on the "No CC Here" list. But a place like Applebees you are within the law to CC.

People are just stupid, get used to it. If someone walks into a restaurant to do harm with a gun, he is going to have it out (in his hand) waving it around etc., he is not going to walk in with it holstered OC or CC and stand in line to place his order get ushered to a table to dine.

There are too may stupid wimps in our society that think guns are bad.

I wish law enforcement, when they receive one of these MWAG calls, they (the dispatcher) would use a little common sense themselves and ask the caller what is the MWAG doing and inform the caller in most cases like this that it is not illegal to OC in Virginia, and or just because the man has a gun, doesn't mean he's there to rob anyone, apparently since he's standing in line, he wants to order some food. I doubt he's waiting for his turn to rob them.

All it takes is a little common sense. Something lacking in too many people these days.
    Ogre likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

The way the call went out "Man entering rear entrance with a gun" Doesn't sound anything like a registered guest entering the motel it sounds like it could be a BG entering the premises to ROB<RAPE<PILLAGE,once it was found to be a misunderstanding,units cleared the scene
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    First off, this post was started over 5 years ago. Also, look at the time the OP was made, it wasn't in the middle of the day. The scanner call appears to have been around 10 PM. Was the person with the gun carrying it in a holster, or was it in his hand? We don't know. If I saw someone walking into a "rob me zone" (motel office, quick stop) at night with a gun in hand, I'd probably call the police as well.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Zombie thread... I was going to respond about the law also 'til I noticed the 5 year old date stamp on the post.

ack!!! others beat me to it

IMHO, the COPs are trying to err on the side of safety in numbers because of what happened in the schools and theaters recently. Yes, a knee jerk reaction, but in response to policy given from above. Besides, the COPs want to go home after their shift.

Quote Originally Posted by kf4uel View Post
    Just heard on the Scanner..... call to a local motel....4 Sheriff's Office County Units and 5 Local Police Town Units responded and surrounded the motel at all sides... After over 10 officers responded and set up around the motel they entered to address the initial complaint that was.." Male subject carrying a gun, went in the back entrance to the motel" This was communicated as a simple person with a gun... Minutes later they respond "Miscommunication!, Miscommunication!.. Spoke with the motel manager no problems, just a friend of his with his gun" All units cleared immediately and went about their ways to the other calls they were already addressing... no report taken......
    I'm failing to see a problem here. If all they were told is a guy with a gun went in the back entrance of a motel, how are they to know it was some guy going to rob the place? They found out there wasn't a problem and left.
    You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

The uniforms just want to practice some active shooter response time trial. Either that or it is a slow week and OT needs to to justified.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    IMHO, the COPs are trying to err on the side of safety in numbers because of what happened in the schools and theaters recently. Yes, a knee jerk reaction, but in response to policy given from above. Besides, the COPs want to go home after their shift.
    I doubt it. That would mean that these officers would know the future... the thread is over 5 years old.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

VIP Member
    This just shows that the LEO community is in a no win situation. If the OP would have been that a man entered a hotel with a gun, the police were called, and one unit was dispatched or the call was ignored, and then the person with the gun shot 11 people before taking his own life we'd be screaming about the police department not doing what they're supposed to do.

Like it or not, cops don't have magical powers. They have to answer the calls that they get and assume the worst until they know otherwise. Thus if someone calls about a man with a gun the response is going to be that there's someone with a gun that is either doing something very bad or is about to do something very bad. Once on scene the police officers can observe the situation and know how to go from there. While in route to the scene you have to assume the worst in order to ensure that you're ready when that unspeable act really does happen.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links