Abingdon Virginia is not gun friendly!!

This is a discussion on Abingdon Virginia is not gun friendly!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just heard on the Scanner..... call to a local motel....4 Sheriff's Office County Units and 5 Local Police Town Units responded and surrounded the motel ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Abingdon Virginia is not gun friendly!!

Abingdon Virginia is not gun friendly!!

Just heard on the Scanner..... call to a local motel....4 Sheriff's Office County Units and 5 Local Police Town Units responded and surrounded the motel at all sides... After over 10 officers responded and set up around the motel they entered to address the initial complaint that was.." Male subject carrying a gun, went in the back entrance to the motel" This was communicated as a simple person with a gun... Minutes later they respond "Miscommunication!, Miscommunication!.. Spoke with the motel manager no problems, just a friend of his with his gun" All units cleared immediately and went about their ways to the other calls they were already addressing... no report taken......

This kind of thing is out of control and needs to be addressed some way! Im gettin the impression open carry isnt allowed in this town anymore.. Im blowing the whistle, Abingdon.... What gives?

2. Remove Ads

maybe someone from out of state unfamiliar with local laws called it in....lets hope so.

VIP Member
    Open carry is the law in Virginia. You can walk around with your handgun strapped on and it is perfectly legal so long as you are legal to possess a handgun.

Nope, should not have been a call and definitely did not warrant every on duty officer responding.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I see we both have the VCDL avatar. Give Phillip an e-mail at VCDL and let him know about it.
    DaveH likes this.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

-Theodore Roosevelt

Howdy neighbor, I am just down the road in Mount Airy, Hey at least the cops were educate that OC was perfectly legal, that is more than I can say for our local boys club!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

hokie, hokie, hokie, hi.... tech tech vpi!

Well, I'm not in favor of open carry. Partly because of this epeisode and partly because I don't want to advertise that I have a gun!

I think that some people over react because of the media frenzy on guns and the overt amount of press that a shooting gets. Especially a mass shooting. Not to trivialize these things, but you hardly ever see where a "Good" shoot gets near as much press. They (the Media) try to make stories on or about shootings that are bad and make reference that all guns are bad...
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by kf4uel View Post
    Just heard on the Scanner..... call to a local motel....4 Sheriff's Office County Units and 5 Local Police Town Units responded and surrounded the motel at all sides... After over 10 officers responded and set up around the motel they entered to address the initial complaint that was.." Male subject carrying a gun, went in the back entrance to the motel" This was communicated as a simple person with a gun... Minutes later they respond "Miscommunication!, Miscommunication!.. Spoke with the motel manager no problems, just a friend of his with his gun" All units cleared immediately and went about their ways to the other calls they were already addressing... no report taken......

This kind of thing is out of control and needs to be addressed some way! Im gettin the impression open carry isnt allowed in this town anymore.. Im blowing the whistle, Abingdon.... What gives?
    Actually, it sounds okay to me. Units responded, discovered it was a good guy, and left him to his business. I would still consider the town gun-friendly, at least as far as LEO are concerned.
    Tzadik and Echo_Four like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Realleycat View Post
    Well, I'm not in favor of open carry. Partly because of this epeisode and partly because I don't want to advertise that I have a gun!

I think that some people over react because of the media frenzy on guns and the overt amount of press that a shooting gets. Especially a mass shooting. Not to trivialize these things, but you hardly ever see where a "Good" shoot gets near as much press. They (the Media) try to make stories on or about shootings that are bad and make reference that all guns are bad...
    It can be a good thing. I've actually won a number of uninformed folks due to conversations started by them seeing my openly carried 1911. I don't do it all the time, but when weather and/or clothing permits...it's an option. It's also good for the rest of the uninformed to see that not every person with a gun is out to start a mass shooting.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    Actually, it sounds okay to me. Units responded, discovered it was a good guy, and left him to his business. I would still consider the town gun-friendly, at least as far as LEO are concerned.
    My thoughts exactly.

Sounds like the Police responded according to the infromation they had.

Person with a gun could mean Open Carry or some one carrying an M-60 with a full belt of ammo.

Police found out some one was OCing and all went home.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Hmm.., very responsive town unit. I'm not police yet I can rationalize (and really appreciate ) other town units deploying to the call if I am the first LEO at the motel.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by briansmech View Post
    hokie, hokie, hokie, hi.... tech tech vpi!
    Solar Rex Solar Ra, Poly Tech Virginia
    Ray Ra VPI TEAM TEAM TEAM
    (Not bad after 35 years)

Hell, open carry is legal in Vegas. Try it, and you'll find yourself eating concrete. I've only open carried 1 time, in the late 70s, in Chesterfield Co Virginia. It wasn't comfortable to me, and we did get some strange looks at McDonalds. The big problem is just what you experienced- a large police response. Someone will see the gun, panic, and put in a "Man with a gun" call to 911. It may not be right, but it's the reality. My friend and I were lucky not to have gone through that, but at least it was a rural county (we were coming back from the range). Since I have my CCW, my weapon always stays concealed.

By the way, I love the Barter Theater in Abbingdon. I haven't been since the mid 70's. Is it still around?
    umwtnt likes this.

The Barter is still there.

In regards to OC and Virginia. Problem is, in Virginia you can not carry concealed into a restraunt that serves alcohol. However, you can carry legally by OC into the restraunt.

So that leaves you the choice of leaving your gun in the car or carrying. You will be surprised how many restruants do not care that you carry. However it is always that one couple who will call the police and scream, "There is a guy with a gun".

This is where a good dispatcher should ask what said guy with gun is doing? Ummmm eating his steak. So he is not shooting anyone? Ummm no but he has a gun. Then there is no problem.

Maybe send an officer or two, if man with gun is eating a steak and not doing anything wrong, the owner and or manager has no problem, then see you later.

In most parts of south west Virginia this is not a problem. Up in the north part of the state the police departments are starting to learn, the hard way.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

-Theodore Roosevelt

Been living in Abingdon VA for almost 6 years. I Open Carry and Conceal carry. Never one issue with town police. Had some people from out of town look at me funny. But other than that, no complaints here. You ask any officer around here what their stance is and they will tell you it is in accordance with the current standing law. Open carry is fine where it is permitted. If someone calls about a man with a gun, they will respond. At that point they are to determine if it is someone with intent to do harm or just some person open carrying. They have to look out for others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TScottW99 View Post
    The Barter is still there.

In regards to OC and Virginia. Problem is, in Virginia you can not carry concealed into a restraunt that serves alcohol. However, you can carry legally by OC into the restraunt.

So that leaves you the choice of leaving your gun in the car or carrying. You will be surprised how many restruants do not care that you carry. However it is always that one couple who will call the police and scream, "There is a guy with a gun".

This is where a good dispatcher should ask what said guy with gun is doing? Ummmm eating his steak. So he is not shooting anyone? Ummm no but he has a gun. Then there is no problem.

Maybe send an officer or two, if man with gun is eating a steak and not doing anything wrong, the owner and or manager has no problem, then see you later.

In most parts of south west Virginia this is not a problem. Up in the north part of the state the police departments are starting to learn, the hard way.
    Law has changed. You can carry concealed into a restaurant that serves alchohol. But not into a bar. Ill quote handgunlaw.us and local LEOs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links