The guy at the Jeep dealership didn't know what to think...

This is a discussion on The guy at the Jeep dealership didn't know what to think... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the local Jeep/Chrysler dealership today to meet up with the wife. She had taken the car in for some work, and was picking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Went to the local Jeep/Chrysler dealership today to meet up with the wife. She had taken the car in for some work, and was picking it up this afternoon, and I was going to meet her there and then off to dinner with her and the kids.

Well, I beat her there, and while I was waiting, I thought I would check out the JK's (4door Wranglers). I was all alone in the lot, and didn't think about putting on my cover shirt, so all I was wearing was a pair of blue jeans and a white T-shirt.

Here I am peering in the windows when he walked up. (I had seen him coming from across the lot.) We spoke for a while about the JK's and then he starts going on about the TJ's. I tell him that I am not buying today and that I am considering the JK for the family reasons, so the Unlimited and the TJ's are just out of the question. At this point he had not noticed the but of my gun sticking out of my waistband, and I was making no attempts to cover it.

He hands me a business card, and I promptly put it in my wallet as I do all business cards. This is when he noticed. The conversation goes on for a few more minutes until he stops in mid thought and said "I have just got to know...are you a....well, a cop?"

"Nope, just an average guy like you."

"Well, what's with the gun?"

"Nothing really, I have one with me wherever I go. I hope it doesn't bother you."

"No, just wondering I guess. So do you have to have a license to carry a gun?"

I go into the various state and local laws without getting too legal on him.

Then he tells me that he has been with this dealership for more than 9years, and that I was the first person he had ever seen with a gun. I politely told him that in the last nine years he had probably sold more than a dozen cars to people that had had a firearm on them at the time of purchase, and quite likely while they were on the test drive. I can see the look of concern wash over him at first, only to give way to a look of comfort. He says "You know, your right. I may have to consider getting a permit myself. I had never thought of it before. It's good to know that not every person with a gun is out to do harm."

I see my wife drive up about that time and gesture in her direction. I tell him that the wife is here, I better go take care of her and the kids, and off I go.

I get to the service department, remember to put on my shirt, and go get my son and start playing with him while the wife finished off the paperwork. The salesman comes back out of the building with a spec sheet on the JK's and walked into the service department, looks around and walks outside. I was outside with my boy talking and playing with him. Then the guy asks me if I saw where the driver of the white truck went. I told him it was me, and he just about fell off the curb.

"I didn't even recoignise you, and we were just over there (pointing into the lot) not 5 minutes ago."

I joked and said "Welcome to Concealed Carry 101:Blend in."

He laughs and we kept talking about the Jeeps when the wife walked out. I could hear her eyes roll in her head she knows that there are two converstions in this world to never get me started on, and Jeeps is one of them (bet you can't guess what the other one is ).

He leaves telling her that I needed a new toy, to which she asked what kind. He tells her that I need a new Jeep. She said "Oh,...I thought you meant something else."

He said "Well maybe another one of those too." with a wink.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Nice. I used to work for a Ford dealership, and if I had to guess, over 70% of the business was F-series trucks. In rural VA, that means you either have a farm, or raise horses, or are towing toys... many buyers were folks that have a lot to protect. I'd say at least once or twice a month I myself would suspect someone was armed, but never brought it up unless it was rapport building conversation. I bet if you decide to buy, you'll go back to that guy, won't ya? Building rapport puts folks at ease and lowers the perception of pressure. I'd have to say that you exemplify a good customer by your responses and actions, and I hope he can work with ya to get you the Jeep you want at a price that's fair. And maybe, just maybe, you found a new shooting buddy.

Thumbs up

had the glock .23 under my shirt today at the dealership, i bought a motorcycle today. http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2004...V1000S-A-2.jpg

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 40S&WMAN View Post
    had the glock .23 under my shirt today at the dealership, i bought a motorcycle today. http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2004...V1000S-A-2.jpg
    Sweet! Thats a great bike for the money. I would buy one myself, but I am spending way to much to ride in the dirt right now.

The JK is awesome machine. I wish the had that out when I settled for a KJ. I know, I know its not a "real" Jeep.
    A friend bought one a few months ago, its great. The only thing bad was the rear doors are tight to climb in and out. Oh well, I dont think the kids mind much.

For the gun thing, it happens to me all the time. Sometimes I'll tell them I am a secret agent, or its a water gun or that I just found it.
    Sometimes I'll do the right thing and engage in some intelligent conversation, but I reserve that for intelligent people.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Glad to hear it went well and you were able to educate someone. Maybe one less future sheep because of your actions.
    I love Jeeps too!! My 15 year old son and I are doing a frame off on a 1977 CJ5 with 304 V8, it will be his first car when it's done, lucky kid!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Just a quick note from a fellow jeeper. The JK is actually the model of the 2007 Jeep Wrangler. The JK Unlimited is the 4 door model, the JK is the two door model.

The JK unlimited's actually do quite well off road from what I have seen, my secretary has one.

Anyway, hope the guy doesn't leave the car business over you carrying, lol.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Glad to hear it went well and you were able to educate someone. Maybe one less future sheep because of your actions.
    I love Jeeps too!! My 15 year old son and I are doing a frame off on a 1977 CJ5 with 304 V8, it will be his first car when it's done, lucky kid!!
    Want another project? I'll even get it towed to you since you are just up the road from me? Besides, it would give me more ammo to use against the wife. "Honey, I need another Jeep since I sold my old one....

I had/have great plans for this one. Vortec V-6, 4L60E, AtlasII, Dana 60's all on 37"s. Time and two kids soaked every penny out of the Jeep fund. I had started dismantling it before my first came along, and now it is just sitting. Makes me sad everytime I look at it.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

And from another Jeep guy....I am hoping and praying every day that they actually do go a head and build the Gladiator. I want one real bad.

Nice story though. Maybe another person had the lights of logic switched on in their head because of you.

Good job.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Just a quick note from a fellow jeeper. The JK is actually the model of the 2007 Jeep Wrangler. The JK Unlimited is the 4 door model, the JK is the two door model.

The JK unlimited's actually do quite well off road from what I have seen, my secretary has one.

Anyway, hope the guy doesn't leave the car business over you carrying, lol.
    I too am a Just Each and Every Paycheck fan. I didn't figure there would be too many that know all of the designator codes for the various Jeeps.

The JK Unlimited Rubicon is a nice looking rig. What kills me is that with this year model it (the JK Unlimited, not Rubicon) is offered in a 2WD version. Say What?! A 2WD Wrangler? Something blasphemous there I think...maybe there is, or should be a law against that. Aside from the DJ and the Surry, all SWB Jeeps have been 4WD. Just irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    And from another Jeep guy....I am hoping and praying every day that they actually do go a head and build the Gladiator. I want one real bad.
    I too want a Gladiator. That is a sharp looking vehicle. If it were up to me, I would have a fleet of various Jeeps in my driveway. Wife wouldn't have it.

Nice story though. Maybe another person had the lights of logic switched on in their head because of you.

Good job.
    As long as those lights are square, then all is good.

BTW SIX, I can forgive your straying to the darkside and buying one of those KIA's on steroids. At least you bought the brand. (Joking) Really, they are nice, but the IFS just really popped the purists in the man berries when that came out. If it had been bigger, I would have considered one to replace the PT Cruiser when we bought. Instead we got a Pacifica. Nice.

Administrator
    Yeah, I wanted a TJ, and that got shot down...
    So I went for a Grand Cherokee. That got Ok'd, until I compared with the Liberty. For what I was going to use it for, the Liberty filled the bill just fine. 8 miles back and forth to work, 4x4 for the snow, and to tow my dirt bikes to the riding spot. I could not justify spending the extra cash on the GC for that.

The KJ has lots of potential...

http://gallery.jeepprojects.com/deta...ff902de87fabde
    "Just blame Sixto"

Way to go! You handled that about as well as anyone could. Made the guy feel comfortable with being around a gun and not afraid he was going to get shot if he said something wrong. So i guess this means we are NOT a bunch of trigger happy meatheads wanting to shoot up the town afterall . . . Go figure.....

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The KJ has lots of potential...
    The KJ is an nice compromise vehicle. Plenty of power to get around and light towing. Plenty of minivan storage for most people/families without the minivan look for dad (that was my deal with minivans).
    AWD/4WD for the inclement weather makes for a safer ride for mom and babies, and leaves dad feeling a bit better about them being out in bad weather (my wifes Pacifica has the AWD, and I must say it is nice).

The vehicle is capable of going down all but the most difficult trails, so hitting the back country is not a big deal, and with the IFS, it will be a more comfortable ride for everyone and everything.

The body style is really the only thing that turns me off on the KJ. Other than that, it is a fine vehicle.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I just went with a friend when he bought his car, and we were both carrying... I'm pretty sure the salesman had no idea.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Quote Originally Posted by incredipete View Post
    I just went with a friend when he bought his car, and we were both carrying... I'm pretty sure the salesman had no idea.
    [1st Post] I guess that means you did CCW the right way: nobody knew. No harm--no foul. Like passing gas in church . . . .
    Don't forget to bow as the chariot passes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links