Should I even bother asking...

This is a discussion on Should I even bother asking... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm seriously considering taking a part-time job as a consultant that travels to homes to make a little extra cash. While I'm gathering more information ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I even bother asking...

Senior Moderator

I'm seriously considering taking a part-time job as a consultant that travels to homes to make a little extra cash. While I'm gathering more information about the company that I would be working with I have wondered if I should ask about their weapons policy.

Now, I know that the law provides that no company can restrict an individuals constitutional right and cannot legally enforce a policy that is not backed by local law, so even if they have a "no weapons" policy, they have no legal right to enforce it as I'm driving from home to home and so forth. The worst that could happen if, by some miracle, someone found out that I was carrying, is that I would be asked to stop or "fired."

I've already tried finding it anonymously online or through other searches and haven't seen anything to the effect of concealed carry.

So, in light of that, should I even bother asking about their weapons policy? I'd probably just open the door for a lot of awkward questions and scrutiny.

Personally, weapons policy or no, I'm not giving up my gun, especially if I'm going to be traveling all over and at all hours of the day and to all neighborhoods.

Thoughts?

Look through their company policy handbook, but if you don't find anything addressing firearms, don't sweat it. Even if you do find that employees are not allowed to carry weapons, who cares? Your life is more important than your job, and the only reason your employer would find out you were carrying is if you needed to use it.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Administrator
    I wouldnt... does it really matter if you get fired for it? The job is for extra cash, not to pay the bills. Part time jobs are a dime a dozen, good employees are not common at all. I wouldnt worry about it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

As stated Dont ask dont tell see what the handbook says

VIP Member
    If it's a company policy they can terminate you and that is all. So it just depends on how much you like/need the job. My company's policy has a loop hole big enough to drive my concealed 44 through. So I do. I like my job a lot, and to an extent I need it, but there are other jobs out there, I just have the one life.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Assistant Administrator
    What the others have said lima.

Check thru thoroughly but don't ask - as IMO that opens a can'o'worms whereby if they say no - then you are a marked person so to speak.

Discretion, good concealment and closed mouth (walls have ears!) ..... and go your merry way. Good luck.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Post My 3 cents worth.

Since I'm a moderator I get to put put in one more penny than everybody else's 2 cents worth.

If you are legally carrying and (of course) you are & you are properly concealed (as I'm also sure that you are) - based on your previous posts then I would not even ask.

That is your own personal & private business. Especially since you already have your mind made up in advance...(wisely I might add)...that you are not driving around and entering into strange homes unarmed.

If by some remote obscure chance they discover that you are carrying - and they then tell you that you cannot carry...you'll be voluntarily quitting anyway before they get a chance to fire you.

I would just keep it your little secret.

Now...if they DO hand you a company Rules And Regulations AKA a policy manual and you read that their company policy is "no firearms allowed" then then my guess is that you'll have a moral obligation to look elsewhere for another job.

Feel free though to truthfully explain to them why you'll not work for them.
    That is unless they will furnish you with a personal protection bodyguard to travel along with you.

The answer is no, you shouldn't bother asking.

If it is not in the employee manual then it is not against policy. If it is in the manual why would you want them to pay undue attention to you?

+1 Bud

I worked as a mental health case manager for awhile(all home visits.) I never did find out how to discretly inquire about the firearms policy before I was employed, although I had a pretty good idea. The only way to find out the company policy is to ask another employee, make an anonymous call to HR or wait until you fill out the employee hire packet and sign the weapons policy acknowledgment if applicable. I think you've already made you decision.

I will tell you I firmly believe the decision is a very personal one and I will not judge yours.
    Last edited by INTJ; March 23rd, 2007 at 02:24 PM.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personaly If there is a no weapons policy in the manual i would decline the job on the grounds that it infringes my rights . If there is nothing in the manual i would not ask any questions about it , and carry . I am a believer in honesty in all my dealings professional and personal. However that does not mean rock the boat on an unaddressed issue , It truly is easier to get forgiveness than permission .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

My life is more important then my job and the cops aint gonna protect me and travel with me, so i carry everyday at work,. and will till they tell me i cant or i get fired my boss knows i carry. our home office is in kentucky.... if i were you i would make that decission on my own and you already made it so go armed and good luck.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    I am a believer in honesty in all my dealings professional and personal. However that does not mean rock the boat on an unaddressed issue , It truly is easier to get forgiveness than permission .
    I agree on all points. I try to be above reproach and forthcoming, honest, upstanding, law abiding, and a model citizen... that, to me, is the best way to advocate concealed carry even though hardly anyone knows I carry.
    But I do understand that forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission.

No, I WILL NOT go unarmed to strange homes and places to meet strange people.

It seems like silence is my friend in this matter.

Mums the word.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Sounds good Lima , If i helped to summ it up for you I truely glad i could help . Almost all posts here tho are saying the same .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes
    I'm seriously considering taking a part-time job as a consultant...
    Will you be working as an independent contractor?

Here's the problem: If you're an employee and you violate their anti-gun policy the worst that they can do is fire you. If you are an independent contractor, though, then they can sue you for damages. What damages? I don't know. That will be between their lawyer and yours.

The point is that the situation is entirely different when you are an independent contractor than it is when you are an employee. If you sign a contract that says you will abide by their policies (which is usual for independents) then you had better know what those policies are!

That doesn't mean that you have to tell them that you carry a gun, though. If they ask you to sign something you say, "Before I sign I guess I'd better read all of the applicable policies." Then see what it says.

Good luck!
    Last edited by denverd0n; March 23rd, 2007 at 03:35 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links