Holding at gun point - Page 4

Holding at gun point

This is a discussion on Holding at gun point within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mchasal The reason you would draw and not shoot is if your newly presented firearm convinces the BG to change his behaviour. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by mchasal
    The reason you would draw and not shoot is if your newly presented firearm convinces the BG to change his behaviour. You have to assess the situation and not just start shooting. If you draw and the BG turns tail and runs you should not fire or your bullets in his back will not bode well for you in court.

Mike
    I've heard about this happening, to an extent. The CCW holder then is under charges for brandishing a weapon. If you draw your gun and don't fire, you shouldn't have and probably didn't need to draw your gun. I believe that's how most state laws view it. While I don't agree with it, I'm not going to jail for it either. If someone has a gun pointed at someone, they need to be put down as fast as possible. What if in that second you shout a compliance he decideds to shoot the victim, and turn to you? We're not police, we don't make arrests and we don't get compliance. We end the threat, that's all that is within our legal limits to do.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    I spent Friday evening covering this topic for real in the wild after witnessing an aggravated battery and felony in progress. I didn't hold the suspect once I got the individual being attacked to safety, and still spent three hours with the police.
    Could you elaborate a little? Were the police treating you like a BG? What, or were they trying to get a good description of the BG??

never put away your gun until the threat is neutralized and you have scanned and made sure there are no other threats or when ordered to by a police officer
    The one situation in which you do not want to find yourself is being the center of a police officer's attention while you have at gunpoint a possibly sill armed BG whom the officer may not even know is there.
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links