Holding at gun point

Holding at gun point

This is a discussion on Holding at gun point within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been wondering here - let us say you intervene when present at an armed robbery. BG had gun but thru your own gun ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holding at gun point

Assistant Administrator

Holding at gun point

I have been wondering here - let us say you intervene when present at an armed robbery. BG had gun but thru your own gun on him decides to opt to live another day.... surrenders his piece and ''assumes the position'' on floor.

So - you have him at gun point, his piece is secured by you or another and 911 has been called ... and you wait ...............

During said wait, BG decides he wants freedom - no fight - just freedom. He gets up and makes to escape. He is now unarmed and so presents no lethal threat.

You remind him he is covered but he continues to want to escape.

As I see it - for us as non LE, we cannot actually shoot?? No threat - then we have no legal recourse to self defence any more. Do we have to let him go?

Just interested to get your take on this.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar

the BG

in this instance you can't shoot.
    Your life or that of another is not in danger.
    Let's hope when you took the BG's weapon you didn't smudge all the fingerprints.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Shoot ?? !! Hey, the cops can't even shoot. If you cuss him as he's runnin' away he will probably sue you---- AND WIN.
    Last edited by RSSZ; March 10th, 2005 at 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling

1952 - 2006
    No, you cannot shoot. However, he has commited a felony and having done so in your presence and the presence of others you can legally detain him by making a citizens arrest. By detain I mean by any means available short of lethal force, which includes the use of physical force. You and the other bystanders can physically hold him until police arrive. If he is injured you will be in no legal trouble. Depending on how it goes with the attorneys you could face a civil suit, but that would be the extent of your liability.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Red face

Yep, what ACParmed said. I guess this also brings up another item to stow in the ole "equipment bag".....wire ties !

"No threat - then we have no legal recourse to self defence any more"

You just answered your own question. If you take off after the BG, YOU now become the threat.At least, that's the way it is here in Connecticut.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
    rule." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    you could face a civil suit, but that would be the extent of your liability.
    Which means he or his family will now own your house, car and everything else you used to own.

Assistant Administrator
    Yeah - I did sorta answer my own question! But I guess I was considering a situation where reinforcements were thin on the ground - certainly tie-wraps sound like a useful thing to have on hand.

It's just that short of successful physical restraint - the application of which could be risky for the less than experienced - we really are not in a very strong position as short term BG ''custodians''. Gun or not. Thx for replies.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Here is something I haven't seen mentioned here. What if you are standing in the only escape route available to the bg?

He has to charge past you on his way out. Who is to say he won't make a grab for your weapon?

1952 - 2006
    "Then he's gonna have to hang on, because I'm gonna light him up and it's going to be an "E" ticket ride."
    Clint Smith
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Lead Moderator
    Let em go. It s not worth the civil trouble you will get in . Also unless he is masked, usually they will I.D. em.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Prospector
    I guess this also brings up another item to stow in the ole "equipment bag".....wire ties !
    I carry wire ties in my car and in my suitcase - I use them to "lock" my suitcases when traveling so I can see if the TSA goes through them. If I am at home I will handcuff him. Probably the number one thing to do is check him for ID once you get him down so if he decides to run the police can be waiting at his house when he gets there.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I have to agree with most of what's been said here. Once he is disarmed and stopped his threatening behaviour, you would not be justified to shoot. Technically, you're probably not even justified to have your gun out anymore, but I doubt that would ever be an issue. If the BG decided to get up and walk towards the door, I would probably "order" him not to, but would just get out of the way and let him go.

One thing I have to disagree with is that I would not, nor would I have anyone else, approach him to cuff him or get his ID. Since you're the only one, as far as you know, with a gun at that point, distance is your best friend. To close to contact distance on him presents too many opportunities to lose your gun, or if you have someone else do it, to give him a hostage. He may have a knife somewhere and is just waiting for a good opportunity to use it.

You could order him to toss you his wallet, or toss some cuffs over and have him cuff himself, which I wouldn't trust him to do securely, but I would stay as far away as the situation would allow.

I also wouldn't try to follow him to keep track of where he went. Who knows where he would be heading and you may end up in his neighborhood and suddenly outnumbered and outgunned. Not to mention that the police you just called won't know where to find you.

I would just let him go, maybe watch which direction he went or see if he gets in a car and get a plate number, but that would be about it. At that point my duty is to be a good witness, so I would try to memorize whatever I could about him to give the best description I could.

Seems like at this point in the situation, the best tool you could add to your carry arsenal would be the smallest camera you could find. Maybe something like this.

Of course this is all my opinion, and I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator, so don't listen to me ;)

Mike

VIP Member
    He decides to live another day and stops the threatening act and leaves. Good riddance. I'll grab some paper and write a description. Wait for the police. I'll not close to contact distance. I'll not detain him physically in any way.

Citizen's arrest statutes vary widely. In Kentucky you can shoot a fleeing felon. In Utah you may detain a felon, but of use deadly force is prohibited in detaining the felon. Other statutes apply to any crime not just felonies, some require the crime to have been witnessed by the arresting citizen, some don't. In any case you can and likely will be sued for false arrest or illegal detention/imprisonment or other various wordings used.

-Scott-

I would have to agree with mchasal
    One thing I have to disagree with is that I would not, nor would I have anyone else, approach him to cuff him or get his ID.
    I have watched police training videos showing inmates practicing coming out of various "take down" positions and attacking the guy playing cop, they practice this daily and are very good at it. They practice fighting with and without various weapons, this isn't a game these guys are practicing to kill someone. Securing a person is a very dangerous activity and unless you are trained to do it I strongly suggest you DO NOT attempt it. If you ever watch “COPS” or “LAPD” you will see that the cops never approach a suspect for cuffing/searching without backup, usually several other cops with their weapons drawn. You would have to check your state’s laws but some allow shooting a fleeing felon IF you reasonably fear the escape will endanger other people, but even if covered by law expect a **** storm if you shoot some innocent little choirboy who ain’t never done nothing wrong in his whole life. Best bet would be try to get as good a description as you can, try to memorize his face, try to follow and see where he goes, direction of escape

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links