Interesting and confidence building night

This is a discussion on Interesting and confidence building night within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tonight I had an interesting and confidence building night. For the first time since the 11th I got to carry. I am a college student ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    me [OP]

Tonight I had an interesting and confidence building night. For the first time since the 11th I got to carry. I am a college student at an institution that requires us to live on campus and does not allow firearms on campus nor does the state allow CC for college students on their own campus.

Tonight I was hanging out with a friend from the area and we were going to the midnight movie that my college sponsored at a local movie theater. I carried his Taurus 92 9mm, he and I both wanted me to carry since he is 20 and is as of yet not permitted to but we both see the need. The only holster he has for it is an Uncle Mikes OWB which was not really all that conducive to concealment, but I pulled it off. NO ONE NOTICED (go figure), I was with a group of people who know me well and none of them could even tell the difference. For me this was better than my first Walmart trip!!!

After the movie I was talking with a very close friend when he put his arm around me, I left it open so he could (some would disagree with this but I decided to let him in on my carrying). He placed his arm around me and his hand landed on the butt of the 9mm . He had a sort of inquisitive look on his face until I leaned over and very quietly said "Would you get you hand off my fu**ing gun." It was somewhat ammusing. He had not noticed and would not have known had I not let him feel it.

Afterward the three of us went out for food and then dropped our friend and his 9mm off at his house . On the way home he commented, "It is weird, I felt safer knowing that you had a gun. " This young man is the son of an LEO but has never fired one (which he will over Easter break) I think we may have very well have won one over to carrying, he commented how "I just put it on and got on with my day" that is what he was most amazed by and what i believe may have one him over to our side. We plan on getting him trained and able to carry since he was asking about his home states laws.

Great night.
    Just got home and need to go to sleep
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Good job.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Well done. Now schedule a range trip for you and your friends and you'll really have won them over.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Lead Moderator
    sounds o.k. just remember , carrying is BIG responsiblity. Personally i tell no one I carry. a few close friends know, but they also train with me, as well as carry too. Be careful out there.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

A few comments, some of which people around here may not like. Firstly, I noticed you're in PA, which... Unless I understand the law wrong it ought to be legal for you to carry on campus, just against policy. In other words, I think the worst that could happen is that you'd be thrown out of school. Concealed is concealed, so they shouldn't know right? I can see two sides to it myself, the "live free or die" argument, and the "finish college" argument.

That said sometimes we have to temporarily give up a certain amount of liberty to get what we want. When you join the military, you give up certain liberties for the term of your service. Same concept.

Also, range days with a few non-shooters can be a good time. Unless you are experienced at instruction try to stick to one at a time. Or bring another experienced shooter. Good ratio seems three to one.

Bah. I need to go to the range.

Puzzled

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    This young man is the son of an LEO but has never fired one (which he will over Easter break)
    If I understand you correctly, your 20 year old friend owns a 9mm handgun that he keeps at his home, but has never fired a handgun? This seems strange to me.

me [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    If I understand you correctly, your 20 year old friend owns a 9mm handgun that he keeps at his home, but has never fired a handgun? This seems strange to me.
    No, My writing this morning must have been confusing. The 20 YO friend owns the 9mm that is correct. He is an avid shooter and the son of a late RSO at a local gun club.

The LEOs son is 21 and the young man I let know I was carrying.

2 different people.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

me [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by JaredMcLaughlin View Post
    A few comments, some of which people around here may not like. Firstly, I noticed you're in PA, which... Unless I understand the law wrong it ought to be legal for you to carry on campus, just against policy. In other words, I think the worst that could happen is that you'd be thrown out of school. Concealed is concealed, so they shouldn't know right? I can see two sides to it myself, the "live free or die" argument, and the "finish college" argument.
    No I am from PA and go to college in TN. Under TN law I can not legally carry on campus nor can I store my firearms on campus so they have been left at home.

Also, range days with a few non-shooters can be a good time. Unless you are experienced at instruction try to stick to one at a time. Or bring another experienced shooter. Good ratio seems three to one.
    Josh and I are going one on one, but later this semester there will be a group of us from the college going out to a private range (2 lines) here at school so we can have a fun time and so others can get a chance to try shooting. we will be keeping no more than a 3 to 1 ratio of EXTREMELY competent shooters to instruct newer shooters.

Bah. I need to go to the range.
    ME TOO
    Mark

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    I'd really watch who I let know I was carrying. I got the feeling since it was your first time, you felt the need to tell "somebody". Maybe not, I dont know your situation. Most of my family doesnt even know..I never feel the need to tell people..Guess I just feel its more of a personal thing..

me [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I'd really watch who I let know I was carrying. I got the feeling since it was your first time, you felt the need to tell "somebody". Maybe not, I dont know your situation. Most of my family doesnt even know..I never feel the need to tell people..Guess I just feel its more of a personal thing..
    No, this was not my first time carrying (just first time I was able to since March 11th), I have been since November and carry regularly away from college. In this situation I made the judgement to let Josh know because I believed that all it would take to get him interested in carrying would be understanding that it can be a normal everyday thing. my understanding from discussions with him is that his father does not carry off duty and I felt that he would be willing to carry (after some training) if he was aware that people can do it even around those they know without them knowing.
    Mark

-James Earl Jones

Great Start...

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    I think we may have very well have won one over to carrying, he commented how "I just put it on and got on with my day" that is what he was most amazed by and what i believe may have one him over to our side. We plan on getting him trained and able to carry since he was asking about his home states laws.
    Now keep working on him...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was there with Mark I am Sean or SEEN as listed above mark was using my 9MM and he let the other gut know he had the gun because he was interested about getting his CWL just as I will be getting my CWL in May when I do turn 21. Mark did not tell anyone because it is something that not all people need to know

Welcome, Seen. I'm Invisible. :D

good job!

for me, personally, when carrying "personal space" perimeter doubles. no hugs for me. im sure i come across as strange to some people, but arms length minimum. no hugs, for sure. even someone i know, you never know if they'll move your shirt or otherwise expose "it"

It is your responsibility to carry, not others!!! Steve48

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links