Got Made at Arby's - Page 2

Got Made at Arby's

This is a discussion on Got Made at Arby's within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; sounds like everyone was nice and calm. I might mention someone having a gun to a LE if I noticed it too....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got Made at Arby's

Lead Moderator
    sounds like everyone was nice and calm. I might mention someone having a gun to a LE if I noticed it too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

dont fret it

A few years back I was driving on a state highway and got pulled over by State police for a tail light being out.It was a double unit which means 2 officers in the car.They were doing there job I have to mention,One officer came to the drivers side window,the other came to the passenger side window.It was just about dusk(not dark yet),and the officer asked for my license and insurance card.As I pulled my wallet out to get my license the officer by passenger side noticed my firearm on my hip,Yelled to his partner Gun and the two of them jumped back about 4 feet.They ordered me to keep both hands on the wheel and questioned me about the gun.They then ordered me out of the car and I told them my permit was in the wallet.They took the wallet out of my pocket,had me spread eagle on the hood,as traffic is zooming by and had me take the permit out of the wallet.They secured my weapon and checked the permit to the serial numbers on the permit and handed everything back to me after they felt confident I was on the up and up.We stood there for a good half hour shooting the BS.I understand the reason for the reaction and I personally dont blame them in the least for being careful.It had to be something, to ride by the scene and see two State Police officers with guns drawn.I give these guys alot of credit day in and day out.They were both really cool guys.And after all that with the handgun they just gave me a warning about the light.Unfortunetly a couple of years ago one of the officers was killed in a Cruiser crash.I know he is missed.

Senior Moderator
    I might mention someone having a gun to a LE if I noticed it too.
    I wouldnt. If they were not acting in a threatening manner,I'd mind my own buisness. The only gun that frightens me is one pointing in my direction.
    Ruining someones lunch just because they are carrying a gun is pointless.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I wouldnt. If they were not acting in a threatening manner,I'd mind my own buisness. The only gun that frightens me is one pointing in my direction.
    +1 to that.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    I believe it has to do with the right to face your accuser.
    In a court of law. Arby's is hardly that. The Bill of Rights doesn't cover restaurants, just due process.

I believe the poster knew exactly who fingered him to the po-po. LEO was just doing his job and should be commended on doing it well.

The satisfaction should come when the schumck that fingered you didn't get the satisfaction of identifying you as a BG. Nothing more than an honest citizen enjoying a big Beef-n-cheese.

VIP Member
    Great story..I would have done the same.. I wouldnt have given the old man a "look".. Just the officers giving you an "ok" would be enough satisfaction for me.. I wouldnt want to make it look like "haha, I can carry a gun and you cant do anything about it"..

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I have to agree with that. Here in Arizona, you'd probably be laughed at for even bringing it up. This is still an open-carry state, and it's not unusual to see people carrying openly (although, it's unfortunately becoming less and less common because of all the out-of-state people moving in, especially all the California refugees).

I'm actually from out-of-state myself (came from Virginia 7 years ago), but unlike most people who move to a distant place and call it home, I've actually adopted the ways of my new home, which includes being very pro-gun and carrying openly when possible. It seems like most people when they move someplace, no matter where they're from, want to turn their new home into a copy of their old one for some reason, which makes you wonder why they ever left. We see a lot of this here in Arizona, such as moron cops moving here from Illinois of all places, and then giving gun owners a hard time. If you don't believe in Citizens' right to be armed and carry, then please stay in Illinois.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Intimidation should not be tolerated!
    I agree, but that is what you would be trying to do by following your suggested actions. You would be trying to intimidate the customer and the place of business.

I believe it has to do with the right to face your accuser.
    That does not apply to a situation such as this. You have that right at trial, not because someone mentioned something while you're eating lunch.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Further Explanation

I feel I should have mentioned in my original post that I am familiar with open carry in restaurants. Whenever I enter an establishment that serves alcohol, I open carry, as it is illegal in Virginia to conceal carry there, even with a CHP. This situation could have happened anytime my wife and I have dined out and we do so several times a week. But when I don't have to open carry, I prefer to conceal the gun, so it's typically concealed in a fast food joint. That's why it was initially no big deal to me to have briefly displayed the gun.

The fellow who fingered me probably only did so because it was convenient; the police officers just happened to come in. He probably wasn't going to call 911. If the officers hadn't sat right next to me, I might have approached him and gently explained Virginia carry laws, but didn't want to start anything with them right there. I kind of wished that one of the officers had done so, but maybe they had already explained it when he first complained about me. Even after they left, I could have approached him, but by then another couple I know had sat down across the aisle and engaged me in conversation, so I never got to educate the guy.

I never got much of the newspaper read, either.
    Last edited by jofrdo; March 25th, 2007 at 09:56 AM.

Here in Virginia, before "shall issue" the Judges would require that the serial number of the gun be put on the back of the Concealed Permit. You could only carry that (those) ONLY! Get caught with a different piece and you'd have a problem. Now there is no such restriction.

Virginia IS almost totally an open carry state. While carrying a permitted concealed firearm you cannot go into a place of buisness that sells alcohol by the drink (bar, restraunt etc) but you CAN open carry into those same establishments. Go figure.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker_us2000 View Post
    the officer by passenger side noticed my firearm on my hip,Yelled to his partner Gun and the two of them jumped back about 4 feet.
    It had to be something, to ride by the scene and see two State Police officers with guns drawn.
    They were both really cool guys.
    I assume this was in NY, where the police rarely find a motorist with a permit, so it's logical to instantly think "criminal" and I don't doubt they were following their training.

But if their drawn pistols were pointing at you, I don't consider that "cool". Too similar to recent stories of NYPD officers mowing down unarmed citizens.

The key to the whole event was mutual respect. You handled it with total respect to the Officer, and he, in return did the very same for you. The bottom line is, you are now one of the good guys, should you ever be "made" in that general vicinty of Town/City. I'm happy to hear that good words exchanged while having lunch........It took the edge off you and the LEOs and also made BOTH of you look good.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    --------------
    Echo_Four
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Intimidation should not be tolerated!
    "I agree, but that is what you would be trying to do by following your suggested actions. You would be trying to intimidate the customer and the place of business."
    ------------------------
    No , I would just be Expressing my opinion in a Forthright manner ,
    instead of cowering behind an Authority.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    But if their drawn pistols were pointing at you, I don't consider that "cool". Too similar to recent stories of NYPD officers mowing down unarmed citizens.

Does a particular bachelor party come to mind?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

p85

NY has NO open carry

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I assume this was in NY, where the police rarely find a motorist with a permit, so it's logical to instantly think "criminal" and I don't doubt they were following their training.

There is no open carry in NY, why was the weapon not concealed?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links