Got Made at Arby's

This is a discussion on Got Made at Arby's within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by briansmech i'd have been tempted to go open carry at that point, and make a few trips for soda refills past the ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Got Made at Arby's

Quote Originally Posted by briansmech View Post
    i'd have been tempted to go open carry at that point, and make a few trips for soda refills past the complainer... i doubt i actually would, but oh, the satisfaction...
    Whether or not the "other guy" approved of guns or not, the wardrobe malfunction seems to be the clearest source of "misunderstanding". "Concealed" means concealed. "Open", means open. When we display a half-arsed measure, it calls into question our intent- are you a hard-case rednekk who "don't care, I got RIGHTS!"; planning something you shouldn't and had an "oops"; legit, but not being observant.....?

2. Remove Ads

From my understanding (coming from my CCW instructor) even if you live in an open carry state and someone sees you're weapon and reports it to LEO (or 911 call) and they find you (either pull you over or confront you in person etc.) it can lead to the loss of your CCW. Accd to my CCW class you are agreeing to keep a weapon concealed and if you are not good enough at that and it puts the public into a "call the cops" mode 2 times you loose your CCW. You can't just claim "but I was open carrying" when my shirt blew up w the wind etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I wouldnt. If they were not acting in a threatening manner,I'd mind my own buisness. The only gun that frightens me is one pointing in my direction.
    Ruining someones lunch just because they are carrying a gun is pointless.
    +2 also
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by markp View Post
    From my understanding (coming from my CCW instructor) even if you live in an open carry state and someone sees you're weapon and reports it to LEO (or 911 call) and they find you (either pull you over or confront you in person etc.) it can lead to the loss of your CCW. Accd to my CCW class you are agreeing to keep a weapon concealed and if you are not good enough at that and it puts the public into a "call the cops" mode 2 times you loose your CCW. You can't just claim "but I was open carrying" when my shirt blew up w the wind etc.

OK, you either KNOW that's the law where you are or you don't ... which is it? If you're not SURE how it works, 1) call youe instructor or ask here 2) don't offer it as advice.

If this is what your instructor said, I'd say take another class from a more knowledgable instructor or challenge yours to be more informed and more specific.

The law is not the same everywhere. The comments about being careful, 2 strikes and you're out, etc are pretty nonspecific and hearsay which could get misleading pretty fast. They're not universal truths...

in this case, thanks to handgunlaw.us I find that the site to reference is: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis.../chlsindex.htm
    The appropriate answer can be found at: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/ls-16.pdf on page 61.

Q: What does concealed mean? Can I carry my handgun in plain
    view?
    A: No. The weapon cannot be visible, and its presence cannot be
    discernible through ordinary observation.

FYI: NOT all states have Concealed Carry or Concealed weapons laws. MN for example has a Permit to Carry a Pistol. IT's not called concealed and specifically not required by law. The lawyer who helped craft it was an advocate of RKBA and very careful with the language :-)

In Texas, Concealed means concealed. So, while I am from MN and would theoretically carry on a MN permit while IN TX( when / if TX recognizes MN which has just recognized TX), I would always go concealed. Because that is the law.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Concealed

Hey p85 read the post,the weapon was concealed when I went for my wallet thats when the one Trooper on the Passenger side noticed the pistol.Until that point they didnt know I was carrying which is why they took the position they did.And I really dont blame them at all.I would have done the same thing in their position.Thats what gets Officers killed when they are not being suspicious of a motorist on the highway.

p85

concealed?

hey stalker, I re-read your post and didn't see where it said that your weapon became visible after reaching for your wallet, all it said was the trooper saw it on your hip. I am not trying to make a big deal out of it, I just know that NY has no open carry. I do think they over reacted a bit. Where in upstate NY are you located?

I'm up near the Kingston New York area.The route I travel every day is enforced by State Police,Ulster County Deputies,Town Police,and DEP Police.I know alot of them as I am a Firefighter/Emt and see them alot.We as a Fire Dept.have a great working relationship with them,and I also was a P/T Corrections Officer.

VIP Member
    Glad it went down smoothly. You did it right. I have placed all my ID's, credit cards, and money in the front pocket on the weak side. The off hand can access them without exposing the Surefire, OC, and spare Mags. I keep my strong hand free at all times in the event I need to use the blade or 45. When I observe someone printing, carrying, hiding their eyes or hands, I won't do anything as long as they're not between me and cover or the exit.

The reason I visit this forum is that the knowledgeable members are sincerely helpful, stay on topic, and avoid escalating disageements with satirical aspersions.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    Can someone explain the open carry laws in Tenn and Arizona.

Who can open carry?
    Well Timmy, since nobody has explained AZ law for you, I guess I'll have to.

It's very simple, anyone who can legally own a firearm over the age of eighteen can legally open carry in AZ. At twenty-one after taking a class, paying DPS, and being fingerprinted you can receive a CCW permit; with which you can carry either openly or concealed.

All of this applies unless you're on tribal land, in which case the rules vary by tribe and who you speak to that day.

Hope this helps.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    I believe it has to do with the right to face your accuser.
    LOL...it wasn't a court of law, it was a fast food restaurant! You have no right to face your accuser at an ARBY'S!!!

So the guy was paranoid. If the carryer was a perp instead of a CC.com poster, the guy he reported him would have been congratulated rather than ridicule.

We all face sacrifices for carrying...can't carry some places (meaning you can't go there, pretty much), we sometime have uncomfortable sitting postures, and we sometimes scare the sheeple.

Rather than worry about some yokel reporting the guy, we should all just use it as a reminder to check your cover garment when you get out of the car. From my take, I don't see where ANYONE made a mistake.
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

I would of told the officer to kiss my a$$(Well, I would have wanted to). Ya, I know he was just doing his job, but you were just living your life when he butted in. The problem with the situation is that he(the officer) is just a tool of the local government thereby subject to do whatever stupid act that so called democracy (or nepotism driven quasi aristocracy based on cash flow from large non popular opinioned organizations that siphon their money from high powered individualists intent on turning another quick buck) dictates him to do. Thereby he is excused of any stupid policy he enforces, or is he? I believe that his own free will should play into the equation. I mean he should have used common sense and thought to himself, here is a man who has done nothing to break the law (as open carry is legal in that state) - hmmmm, maybe I should sit my fat a$$ back down and finish my burger. As for any other stupid policy his department might want him to enforce, well if he disagrees with them he should quit the force, if he chooses not to, I will judge him as I choose too. I never use the "just doing my job" excuse at my work and wouldn't expect any other non-spineless individual to either.
    If he was gonna decorate his bar with my friend, he shoulda armed himself.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links