Got Made at Arby's

This is a discussion on Got Made at Arby's within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got into the food line in an Arby's today, went to adjust my cover shirt and realized that it had ridden up in the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got Made at Arby's

Got Made at Arby's

I got into the food line in an Arby's today, went to adjust my cover shirt and realized that it had ridden up in the car and tucked itself inside the butt of my gun (Glock 23, holstered IWB at 4 o'clock). By that time I had already walked across the width of the restaraunt twice to visit the men's room. No problem, it's legal to open carry in Virginia, but about twenty people in line had a chance to see the gun as I walked by, if they had been paying attention. One man, standing at the cash register, was staring at me in a disapproving way so I knew I had been made.

After collecting my food order, I found a seat and began to read the newpaper. The fellow who had made me was sitting in a nearby booth with a lady; he got up a few minutes later and walked to the front of the store. Shortly thereafter, a Chesapeake police officer approached me and politely asked if I was carrying a gun. "Yes," I said. "Do you have it registered?" he asked. "I don't have to have it registered in Virginia, " I replied "but I do have a concealed handgun permit." "May I see it?" he asked. "The gun or the permit?" I asked, laughing as I pulled my wallet. "The permit," he smiled. "Of course and here's my Drivers License, too." He handed them back and told me to have a nice day.

A minute later, his partner sat down in the booth next to me and started talking guns. I told him about which shooting club I'm a member of. He knew of it and intends to come do some IDPA shooting there in the future. When the original officer came back to the booth, he exchanged some pleasantries with me as well.

All in all, it was pretty inconsequential, but my adrenaline level was so high it took me ten minutes to be able to read the paper again. The guy that reported me was probably burning up that I didn't get into some sort of trouble. I'm still troubled about why I was asked about gun registration when there is no legal requirement for it here.

2. Remove Ads

The Officer was probably "fishing" to see if you were on the up and up.

If you were illegally carrying you would've said, "Of course it's registered," or something to that effect. That would've alerted him to the fact that you were possibly committing a crime without alarming you or the other patrons.

Sounds like everything worked out fine for you, don't sweat it.

Biker

I would imagine when the officer asked if it was "registered" he was questioning your CC permit and simply used the wrong term. I somehow dbout that he was fishing, if he indeed did think that you were an unlicenced person he would have asked to see the weapon during the conversation so he could "hold on to it for his saftey and yours". IMHO
    "History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it"
    -Winston Churchill

"Walk softly and carry a big stick"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Sometimes there is justice... Most of the time there is just-us

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Luckily Chesapeake VA is far from Manassas, where the recent "Third Battle of Manassas" was waged.

No 911 Call

The situation didn't have a chance to turn into a Manassass because no 911 call was ever made. The officers just happened to be in the store to eat their lunch, were approached by the other customer, and then dealt with it on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    The Officer was probably "fishing" to see if you were on the up and up.

If you were illegally carrying you would've said, "Of course it's registered," or something to that effect. That would've alerted him to the fact that you were possibly committing a crime without alarming you or the other patrons.

Sounds like everything worked out fine for you, don't sweat it.

Biker
    There is real possibility that the officer doesn't know anything about private gun ownership in his state. He may have been issued a firearm in the academy and is not a "shooter".

That is true, but the other could be true as well.

I will use an incorrect term to get a person to contradict themselves when I am interrogating them. Once I get you in a contradiction you are ALL MINE.

Yes, I'm an LEO as well as a Registered Nurse.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Some may Disagree with this , but here goes.

No complaint about the officer , he was just doing the job.

However , you were 100% legal , and causing no trouble.

I would have asked the officer if someone in the restaurant fingered
    you. ( I think that this is obviously what happened )

If he said yes , I would have related the incident to the restaurant
    manager , making my displeasure known.

Intimidation should not be tolerated!
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

"If he said yes , I would have related the incident to the restaurant
    manager , making my displeasure known."

I don't see anything to complain about really. A concealed firearm was accidentally exposed in a fast food restaurant, someone mentioned it to LEOs on the scene (their right) who then asked for a carry permit. Everything checked-out and everyone had lunch.

I believe it has to do with the right to face your accuser.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

VIP Member
    Good show

PM
    As a Fast Food employee I agree with Hayley; we have no control over what another customer does. Given the same scene, I as a soon to be permit holder, may have asked the officers to check the guy out --- One does not know if you have a permit or are just waiting till the crowd clears to rob the joint!!

I did have a person come in one morning with a open carry gun. I for a moment surveyed my options. When he made it to the counter I saw a rent-a-cop badge on his belt; he as a security officer for one of the local schools. Took his order, he ate and was on his way. He came in a few more times and I later got to talking with him and told him how he had scared the p** out of me that first time in. He apologized.

I have no problems with guns; I do not care if you come in carrying one; if I do not know you, I will wish I could have mine on my hip till I know your intentions.

While I do think the guy who spoke with PD over reacted; he was within his rights and as I said; I do not know why you have the Glock on your hip. You may or may not be legal and you may or may not be a BG! I err on the side of staying alive so I can get made at a Fast Food joint!

I think you handled it very well. Very well indeed.

I would only have dome one thing different. I would have smiled in a cold manner at the idiot customer who gave you a disapproving look and was most likely the fool who called the police and told him in a low but friendly tone to have a nice day.

But hey, that's just me. I do not suffer fools well.

Good job.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I'm glad that everything worked out fine for you. I dread the day that I have to be "questioned" about carrying by a police officer because some of them just don't know all of the laws when it comes to carry. That seems to be evident in my state, which contrary to popular opinion is not very gun friendly. (If you don't believe me then go to www.georgiacarry.org and www.georgiapacking.org and do a little research.)

On Georgiapacking.org's board I have read threads where police officers have disarmed CCL holders and then took the gun to run the numbers back in the squad car. I don't think that it is standard procedure but it does happen. One poster had the number's ran and the pistol wasn't registered to him because he obtained it through a private sale. The officer wasn't real pleased about that but he did let the individual go though. Georgia like Virginia does not have gun registration either.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; March 24th, 2007 at 10:51 PM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Adrenaline Was Pumping...

But sound like you remained cool...

Well done...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links