I might be too comfortable carrying..

This is a discussion on I might be too comfortable carrying.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This morning I went to Cracker Barrel to meet my grandfather for breakfast and brought along my Commander as usual. I was wearing a button ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I might be too comfortable carrying..

I might be too comfortable carrying..

This morning I went to Cracker Barrel to meet my grandfather for breakfast and brought along my Commander as usual. I was wearing a button up long-sleeved shirt as a cover garment, with a t-shirt underneath. It's starting to get warm here again, and apparently they haven't turned off the heat in the restaurant yet because it started to get incredibly hot in there. After twenty minutes or so I unbuttoned my shirt and took it off without thinking about what it was covering up! Luckily I didn't stand up, so the weapon was still partially covered by my shirt and I put it back on before anyone saw, but that could have made for an uncomfortable situation. So on the one hand I'm embarrassed for almost causing a scene, and on the other hand glad that I'm no longer twitchy about having a gun on my hip all of the time. Anyone else have similar stories?
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

2. Remove Ads

When I go to a resturant, if at all possible I try to sit in a booth or at a table where my strong side is to the inside of the booth or table. You could probably easily get away with taking your cover garment off if that is the case.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

I have been carrying since Jan. and have not gotten that comfortable yet.
    I do not think about who might be looking like I did in Jan. and most of Feb. but now I am aware my G27 is on my hip and am protective of people getting close to that side as to bump into it.
    Last edited by QKShooter; March 31st, 2007 at 02:04 AM.

Assistant Administrator
    I get hot real easy and have almost been tempted in such a situation to strip off! My carry is mega comfortable.

I think tho it is a case of a pause for thought always - same as we make subtle checks at any time when covered. It's good when carry is very much ''part of you'' but with that can come an easy compacency regarding unintended exposure!

I guess with carry and concealment and garments ....... like the carpenter's saying but different .. ''Think twice, act once''
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I have pulled off a coat in a resturant and wrapped it around my waist while sitting in a booth. Not real comfortable doing that but when hot dang we all do stuff we shouldnt (ie some guys with a speedo or taking off t-shirts at the beach) LOL.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    When I go to a resturant, if at all possible I try to sit in a booth or at a table where my strong side is to the inside of the booth or table. You could probably easily get away with taking your cover garment off if that is the case.
    That's my line, too. Even if the strong side is out, I can slip off the flannel and slide it down to my waist, leaving it on top of the grip.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

May I just say yet again how happy I am that I live in a state that open carry is legal. I open carry in the summer time probably 90% of the time. And no one has yet to be offended or freak out over it.

I hate being hot. So, open carry for me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Lead Moderator
    Come close to accidently uncovering my gun. Ben carrying for about 4 years or so. I also use a coat to cover my gun while sitting. Just keep it loose enough easily draw.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    May I just say yet again how happy I am that I live in a state that open carry is legal. I open carry in the summer time probably 90% of the time. And no one has yet to be offended or freak out over it.

I hate being hot. So, open carry for me.
    I could not agree more!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I have not gotten that comfortable yet. Steve48

After years of carry I have never become so complacent that I have forgotten the gun is there. I am comfortable but not complacent. I always consider if it is bulging, printing, or other items when moving about (posture and such). I also make a point to sit carefully so the but of my all steel gun does not "clunk" into the wood or plastic of a restaraunt booth.

A big part of it for me is state of mind. I always know where my 5 year old and infant are when we are out together and I always make a point to know I am properly concealed (not an OC state). I also don't carry any tupperware that is so light one might forget it is there. The main carry weapons are a 5" 1911 or a Firestar M-43 (both all steel). Usually they are in a tuckable. The real deep concealment gun is a S&W model 60 in a Smartcarry.

I was in a similar situation at a restaurant not that long ago, and it was helpful to have the tuckable option for IWB carry. I excused myself to the restroom and put my Tucker Answer into tucked mode for the duration of the stay, so I could take off my jacket. Fortunately, I didn't just forget and take off the jacket.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I walked out of a restroomstall without my cover garment once. Luckily, nobody was around and I got the gun covered up before I left the bathroom.

Tuckable means never having to apologize for flashing...

The wife and I came home one night, after a dinner party, with about 12 other couples, and I pulled off my sports coat and sat down to watch some tv. Two hours later I got up and drove down to the local shop & rob, for some milk and eggs, and visited for about 30 minutes with a friend who works there. I then headed back home and was headed to the bathroom, from the bedroom to bathe and retire for the night. My wife asked me if I was going to start cleaning my gun in the shower as well. I then realized I still had it on. I usually take off my carry weapon when I walk through the door and put it in the safe. I carry a backup in my pocket and it stays with me the rest of the time I am in the house. Comfortable.....thats an understatement!!! I carry a stainless 4" 1911 in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 and two extra mags on the other side.

tex
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links