Defensive Carry banner

I need help with a university weapon possession issue.

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  cagueits 
#1 ·
Some one said that weapon policies on campuses are for employees and students only. I have found very vague references that the campus police can determine what a weapon is. I can not find any penalties or concise legal definition for what a weapon is.

Can some one point me to a web site for Indiana college regulations? Can university policy triumph Indiana state or city ordinances? Or is it just a "ask you to leave" thing. My personal view is that an object is not a weapon until there is a direct threat made with it(then it would be brandishing a weapon).

#3 ·
Indiana University East

Weapons Possession

The unapproved possession, use or sale of firearms, ammunition, fireworks, major or minor explosives or any lethal weapons on the Indiana University East campus is forbidden and subject to University discipline as well as criminal sanctions.

#5 ·
Something I've always wondered. How many gun friendly colleges and universities are there? There's gotta be a list somewhere.

#7 ·
That's what I thought stupid campuses are like the vatican city. We need state preemption prevention laws. I was curious about knives as they may be considered a deadly weapon. A pen can be too if you know how to use it. I have to pass through campus as it takes up 80% of the city. My knife is a folder that is under 3" but that might not even be safe.

#8 ·
Officially, most schools are going to hold the stance of "No weapons. Of any kind. At all. Ever." Which makes sense from a typical CYA standpoint. However, you will get some campuses where the student body and teaching staff are extremely firearms friendly.

My school, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical in Prescott, AZ is one of them. A school paper survey put firearms in nearly 33% of the dorm rooms on campus. What's our crime rate like on campus? Almost nothing. Are there negligent discharges? Yes. Are the penalties for them stiff? Yes. Are those penalities up to what the school's guidelines mandate? Nope.

Of course the school is different from most in that it focuses on pilots. Flying an aircraft is a huge amount of responsibility. Luckily, our administration realizes that firearms hold the same kind of important parts of our minds. The school won't come right out and encourage students to buy firearms, but you can take handgun/rifle classes and get credits towards graduation. And you better believe, those classes are ALWAYS full. :)

#10 ·
Go to the statute:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch2.html

"35-47-2-1 Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession."

The statute doesn't regulate where you may carry, so is left up to you.

Furthermore, IC 35-47-11 regulates what municipal goverments can do regarding firearms restrictions, but if you go to a state public school, local goverments don't have a say.

Keep in mind that just because a college posts a no weapons sign, it doesn't mean they they have the right to do so under most autonomy clauses - unless there is legal backup from a state firearms statute (and in this case there doesn't seem to be one present).

Now private colleges are a different ballgame; they can kick you out because it is still private property and you failed to abide by their rules.

Consult with a lawyer as this is not legal advice, just reading off the statutes and speaking from experience with similar runons I've had over the years with this subject.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.