Getting ready to travel to Alexandria, VA & D.C. - need advice

This is a discussion on Getting ready to travel to Alexandria, VA & D.C. - need advice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My family and I are getting ready to make a trip to explore D.C. and surrounding area. We'll be staying at a hotel in Alexandria, ...

Thread: Getting ready to travel to Alexandria, VA & D.C. - need advice

Getting ready to travel to Alexandria, VA & D.C. - need advice

My family and I are getting ready to make a trip to explore D.C. and surrounding area. We'll be staying at a hotel in Alexandria, VA.

The states we'll be traveling through to get to our hotel (WV, VA) have reciprocity agreements with our home state of Kentucky. Clearly, Maryland and D.C. have both made carry impossible.

I wish to CC while traveling, and then leave the weapon in the hotel when we go to D.C. and Maryland on day trips. My main concern was how to go about this safely. The front desk clerk told me the hotel has safe deposit boxes for guests but having never done so should I or do I need to inform the clerk of what the item is? Do I hand it to them and they place it in the safe deposit box or do it myself. Obviously, the latter is preferable but if the boxes are behind the front desk may not be possible. Plus being so close to D.C. I don't know how gun-friendly the staff will be.

I've though about field-stripping the weapon and leaving the receiver stashed deep in the suitcase (maybe inside some skid-marked boxers - ha!) in case housekeeping goes snooping, and then taking the slide with me in the car.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    My family and I are getting ready to make a trip to explore D.C. and surrounding area. We'll be staying at a hotel in Alexandria, VA.

The states we'll be traveling through to get to our hotel (WV, VA) have reciprocity agreements with our home state of Kentucky. Clearly, Maryland and D.C. have both made carry impossible.

I wish to CC while traveling, and then leave the weapon in the hotel when we go to D.C. and Maryland on day trips. My main concern was how to go about this safely. The front desk clerk told me the hotel has safe deposit boxes for guests but having never done so should I or do I need to inform the clerk of what the item is? Do I hand it to them and they place it in the safe deposit box or do it myself. Obviously, the latter is preferable but if the boxes are behind the front desk may not be possible. Plus being so close to D.C. I don't know how gun-friendly the staff will be.

I've though about field-stripping the weapon and leaving the receiver stashed deep in the suitcase (maybe inside some skid-marked boxers - ha!) in case housekeeping goes snooping, and then taking the slide with me in the car.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Being from this area I still don't go to DC. Frankly I wouldn't leave it in the Hotel Room. I usually always put the DO NOT DISTURB sign up on my door when I travel out of state and I HAVE to leave my gun in the hotel room. And put a small piece of scotch tape on the bottom of the door to know that somebody entered my room. They never enter but if they did I would immediately check my room and go to the hotel manager if they did enter my room.

PS come visit the NRA museum our museum is almost better kept than any of the smithsonian museums not to mention its stuff your probably interested in. Check out the range its really neat! We have the Mayflower gun (first known gun in America, Luke Skywalkers Lightsaber from EPISODE IV, Dirty Harry's gun, BREN TEN #0001, The roosevelt Collection, M60 from Predator and Rambo and much more.

All you got to do is take 66 (anybody from DC or NOVA or MD knows where 66 is) take exit 57A make immediate left and your right there. From Alexandria it takes about 25 min to get here.

PM me if your NRA member or instructor.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Find a hotel with an in-room safe...

Links