Empty Holster

This is a discussion on Empty Holster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bullseye! What is shooting BOWLING PINS?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Empty Holster

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Bullseye!

What is shooting BOWLING PINS?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

2. Remove Ads

With my normal carry pistol, I would never leave home with the holster and no gun, since I always put the the holster on with the pistol in the holster. IWB tuckable holster, with shirt tucked in. Really not any other way to do this type.

If I happen to carry the 1911 OWB, I could see where it would be possible to leave the pistol at the house and walk around with an empty leather holster, but I guess after realizing it there isn't any point in having the holster without the gun, so I would probably take it off.

I guess if I ever catch myself in that situation I will know the feeling.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

There was a time in my life where my business travel took me to non-profit organization offices in downright tough neighborhoods, usually in Detroit and Chicago (I had more than my share of close calls, with survival due to dumb luck). You might say that I wasn't always carrying the right paperwork for being armed, but well, the statute of limitations has passed.

Anyway, my wife accompanies me on a trip and after leaving a hotel suggests to me that I forgot something...a full speedloader in the nightstand drawer. After we talked it over we decided we wouldn't turn around to drive back to retrieve it...wouldn't you know they never called to let me know it would be in "lost and found"--I expect some housekeeper brought home a nice HKS speedloader for her main squeeze....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    Bullseye!

What is shooting BOWLING PINS?
    Here you go: http://mrcompletely.blogspot.com/200...uidelines.html
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I''ll repeat a story:

Dressed for work as armed security. Got into car and made it to the end of my driveway. Realized I didn't feel the butt of my sidearm under my elbow. Oops.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I''ll repeat a story:

Dressed for work as armed security. Got into car and made it to the end of my driveway. Realized I didn't feel the butt of my sidearm under my elbow. Oops.
    Ditto only I got all the way to work

My bad

I once retrieved my 1911 from the safe, inserted the magazine, chambered a round, removed the magazine and topped it off.

After running around and having dinner with the family we got home and I went back to the safe. I had never reinserted the magazine. At least I had a spare on me. I was walking around with a gun with just one cartridge in it.

Can we all say "sinking feeling." My brother-in-law found a revolver complete with holster and gun belt in a Texas hotel dresser drawer a couple of years ago. I'm not sure he ever made an attempt to locate the owner.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

I think this is one of the downsides to using a Kydex IWB holster. It retains its shape with or without the gun, and tends to make it harder to tell when the gun is not there.

I use a Kydex IWB holster and had one notable occasion where I forgot to reholster my gun after changing clothes. I was in a hurry because we were going to meet the kids (adult children and their wives) at a theater 40 miles south of home for a play. After the play, my wife and I were leaving to spend Christmas with her folks in Phoenix.

We were running late, and I neglected to perform my pre-flight check when I left the house. We got to the theater and were standing in line at the box office when I realized my holster was empty. There was a moment of minor panic while I mentally retraced my steps and realized where my gun was – home on the dresser next to where I changed my clothes.

At this point I made a trip to the car to retrieve the “spare” gun I always take on trips. This is how I ended up spending a week in Phoenix carrying my Kimber Compact rather than my usual Kimber TLE. Boy did I feel underdressed for that entire week.

One of the things that was interesting to me about this was the fact that I didn’t notice the absence of the gun’s weight, at all. It’s not like the all-steel, full sized 1911 that I carry every day is exactly a lightweight gun. This was one of those things that made me stop and go hmmmmm…..
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

I agree. I am currently attending a function one night a week which prohibits me from carrying. I leave my IWB kydex on my belt and realize how it might easily happen without a conscious pre-flight.

I recently did just the opposite of forgetting my gun, I was running errands when I realized I had taken two of them; no wonder my pants kept slipping down! During the week, I usually slip my Kel-Tec P-11 9mm into the front pants pocket, but on weekends, when I can wear an untucked shirt for concealment, I holster the larger Glock 23. Last Saturday, I did both.

Huneyyy.. <grabbing pants at waist> do you think I'm losing weight?

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    I recently did just the opposite of forgetting my gun, I was running errands when I realized I had taken two of them; no wonder my pants kept slipping down! During the week, I usually slip my Kel-Tec P-11 9mm into the front pants pocket, but on weekends, when I can wear an untucked shirt for concealment, I holster the larger Glock 23. Last Saturday, I did both.

That isn't funny ... I almost did the SAME thing going to work one day. Unholstered and secured the 1911 but got to the work door (posted) and realized I still had my BUG in my pocket ...

man the temptation was a tough one
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

carrying a BUG by accident is erroring in the right direction, It should become a habbit.

I do that to my cell phone all the time but not my gun. Steve48

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links