The Hassle Of Out-Of-State Travel....

This is a discussion on The Hassle Of Out-Of-State Travel.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being retired, my wife and I like to travel about the country. As we are planning a trip for the month of June, I have ...

Thread: The Hassle Of Out-Of-State Travel....

The Hassle Of Out-Of-State Travel....

Being retired, my wife and I like to travel about the country. As we are planning a trip for the month of June, I have gotten totally bummed about carry. I guess I'm mostly just whining, but bear with me, I need a "Poor Jimmy Day" and I will get around to asking for advice...heh.

For permits, I have MN resident and both NH and FL non-resident. So, I'm in good shape in 32 states.

Even at that, each time we travel I need to assemble a small binder of all the relevant state laws, then review them the night before entering states so I'm not exposing myself to be the test case on some obscure portion of the law. Then there's that need to be a good boy in National Parks...arrrggghhh (please don't challenge that statement...I'm talking National Parks, not National Forests...I know the law on this one).

Then, since we often stay at military facilities, usually Air Force Inns and Navy Lodges, I must then have my pistol locked in it's box separate from ammo, declare it at the gate and make a trip to an armory to store it. This is a royal pain, since each time is like a maiden voyage for the lowly EMs staffing the gate and armory (I was once that dumb, so I'll lighten up). It's a hoot, since I write in changes to their forms, and then tell them to leave it on a desk with a post-it note rather than locking it up where some other guy on duty will never find it--they always do what I say! (being old, gray and driving an Audi with Vietnam Vet plates makes them think I'm a General....another ruse).

Well, having the wonderful wife that I do, she has nudged me into the dark world of edged weapons--bought me a nice little knife for Christmas, then when my wish list got updated with a more self-defense oriented knife she bought it as an anniversary gift in February. I told you she was wonderful--even carries a S&W 642 here in MN, but leaves it to me to be the protector when we're on the road.

So, this past weekend I did a bit of an experiment at the gate of a military facility that will go unnamed. Dropped my wallet such that I had to open the door and step out, groping around under the seat for my ID (this during 100% ID check). I had left the pistol at home, but made sure the guard saw the Kershaw Blur clipped in my pocket, even watched the eyes to be sure she saw it...another guard alerted and sauntered over looking a bit curious about what could be going on, but she waved him off. She looked to be an E-5 (I can't quickly count those upside-down Air Force stripes--I was watching her reaction closer than the sleeves) so I expect she may know how to handle these events and never batted an eye.

I was prepared to explain it's uses to cut summer sausage and cheeses (a true use I add), but there were no questions.

This needs a bit more research, but when we head out in June, I may just drop my pistolero title and go as Mack The Knife instead. It seems that I may slip under the radar with my "jackknife", you know the one we use to cut cheese, summer sausage and apples.... I'll be sure to get in some quick training from a well-qualified friend.

OK, advice welcome, specifically about the formal rules surrounding such a strategy. Are the rules loosened/tightened based on the ThreatCon level?

Please, I don't need feedback about "...bringing a knife to a gunfight...", since my wife already whacked me with that one.

THANKS.
    Last edited by JimmyC4; March 27th, 2007 at 02:59 AM.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    This needs a bit more research, but when we head out in June, I may just drop my pistolero title and go as Mack The Knife instead. It seems that I may slip under the radar with my "jackknife", you know the one we use to cut cheese, summer sausage and apples....

OK, advice welcome, specifically about the formal rules surrounding such a strategy. Please, I don't need feedback about "...bringing a knife to a gunfight", since my wife already whacked me with that one.

Plan for the wosrt, hope for the best, TAKE THE GUN.
    Life may be a little more complicated, but if your on the road alot, a pistol is a good friend to have along for the ride.

God forbid you end up with a break down in an area with no cell coverage and have to hoof it to the nearest phone, as the saying goes, it's better to have a gun and not need it, then to need a gun and not have one.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    There are probably many more local laws regarding knives than firearms. For example, I have seen anywhere from 2-inch blade restriction in Chicago up to 5.5 inches Texas. Many jurisdictions prohibit fixed blades, many more prohibit double-edge fixed blades.

You may want a bunch of new pages in your weapon-laws notebook!

If you are interested, handgunlaw.us has many good links to knife laws.

With 32 states covered, why not simply head to the states you have covered, and avoid the rest? There's a lot of country to see. That way, you're armed (which is far, far more important than seeing a given state), you're safer and you'll be less stressed about whether you're complying or not. Life's too short to sweat the small stuff.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Clip knives are pretty common nowadays. I've never had a problem on an AF base. I can't speak for Navy bases.

Having said that, I second jdlv4_0.

YMMV

I got me a folder of state laws and a reciprocity agreement map in the car also. The folder in itself is a good argument for a national firearm permit.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    With 32 states covered, why not simply head to the states you have covered, and avoid the rest? There's a lot of country to see. That way, you're armed (which is far, far more important than seeing a given state), you're safer and you'll be less stressed about whether you're complying or not. Life's too short to sweat the small stuff.
    We've considered that, but it doesn't look like AZ is going to give up Grand Canyon, nor do our friends want to change their retirement locations from Palm Springs and Santa Barbara, then there's my wife's son and family who live in OR...by doing what you suggest, we rule out about 1/3 of CONUS, which not an option.

National carry is the answer we should all be working on...with the Dems taking over DC that's not likely to make progress until at least 2012 or later.....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    There are probably many more local laws regarding knives than firearms. For example, I have seen anywhere from 2-inch blade restriction in Chicago up to 5.5 inches Texas. Many jurisdictions prohibit fixed blades, many more prohibit double-edge fixed blades.

You may want a bunch of new pages in your weapon-laws notebook!

If you are interested, handgunlaw.us has many good links to knife laws.
    I'll be looking into state knife laws at handgunlaw's site. I won't be adding new pages to my notebook, but will replace the gun pages! Plus I'll hopefully avoid that armory trip drill at military installations...that's my big question at this time. And, no, I'll not be calling them ahead of time to solicit a "no" answer if they don't really know the answer....

EDITED TO ADD: Admittedly a bit lazy, I just now Googled up this helpful link-- http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/appr-k.htm#legal
    Last edited by JimmyC4; March 27th, 2007 at 11:44 AM.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Man I'm thankfull for HR 218 & I can carry in all 50 states. I understand your pain, though.

As to national carry, things may get worse before they get better, depending on who wins in '08.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I had always carried in the car when I was younger and Kansas did not have licenses when going out of state. It did come in handy many a time. "I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6". Steve48

Quote Originally Posted by Steve48 View Post
    I had always carried in the car when I was younger and Kansas did not have licenses when going out of state. It did come in handy many a time. "I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6". Steve48

many a time?
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

VIP Member
    I don't know why a test was needed. A trip through any PX usually shows me a large number of people with mean knives cliped somewhere.

Regardless, it was probably a good idea. But, I'd still tote the pistol along. A knife doesn't do much against an active shooter 25 yards from you.

National carry is a disaster waiting to happen. If we all adopt the same standard, it will be a very restrictive standard. For those of us lucky enough to live in a free state it would be a nightmare.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Links