Open Carry - Carry Question

This is a discussion on Open Carry - Carry Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading the thread about OC, I had a question about weapon position. Normally, I carry in the 3 o'clock position OWB. I feel I ...

Thread: Open Carry - Carry Question

After reading the thread about OC, I had a question about weapon position.

Normally, I carry in the 3 o'clock position OWB. I feel I have the best chance defending my firearm, if someone was to try and go for it. I occassionally carry at the 4 o'clock position OWB, depending on my cover garment. However, I feel that I have less "control" if someone were to reach for it---because it is slightly on the backside of my hip.

For you guys that OC, do you change the position of the firearm?

For some reason, I do feel "paranoid" when my weapon is at the 4 o'clock position regardless of cover garment.

I won't normally carry OC, but just wanted to see if others changed their weapon position based on OC.

Thanks, Tony
    "...Far better it is to dare mighty things....than to take rank with those poor spirits who...knows not victory nor defeat." Theordore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    When I do OC, I always carry it at the 3. I don't trust other people. This way, even if you have to use your hands for something, you can still keep your elbow on the butt of the firearm or very close to it. I believe you to be right about the 4 o'clock position.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I hereby make formal appeal to higher forum authorities to decree that henceforth OC shall be know as a reference to Open Carry.............. and as such all future references to aerosol irritants shall be remarked upon as SS (stingy stuff.)
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    "INTJ", thanks. At first I thought he was talking about OC (pepper spray) LOL.

To the question, now that I understand it. I'd agree, when I've carried OTB, it's at 3:00. The only exception, for me, would be crossdraw at 11:00 or so while driving on a long trip. Of course, that if I decide to carry that way.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Administrator
    In fact I changed the thread title from just OC to add the words Open Carry because CombatCarry is a searchable database & future folks doing a search for "OC" thinking that they are going to get information about Fox Labs OC Spray are going to start catching Open Carry threads.

Open Carry, when I do it, is at 3:00 or 9:00 depending on what I'm carrying. I shoot with either hand. When I conceal carry I carry at 3:30 or 8:30.

The last time I open carried was 3 or 4 years ago I think.

Biker

Administrator
    I'll stir the pot up on this one. I'll stir it up real good with a big spoon.

No matter what O'Clock position you are open carrying in from 2:30 to 6:00 if some Mystery BG wants your firearm bad enough - and they are modestly healthy - and have decently good reflexes -they are going to own your firearm if they truly want to take it from you serious bad enough.

Even if your hand is actually on your firearm if a perp individual knows anything at all about leverage then your firearm is gone from your immediate control and absolutely at 3 'Clock ~ on back to 6:00.

Because nobody can constantly maintain a readiness condition level high enough all day long in any congested, crowded, or or in any way uncertain/questionable public environment to keep constant control of that firearm while going about the course of their normal daily routine.

So if you're attending the Family Picnic and Bar~B~Que - you can feel fairly confident that your firearm will remain with you and is safe from a gun grab.

But, if you are out in public the fact is that you are pretty much banking on the fact that the vast majority of the general population has absolutely no interest in taking your weapon away from you or gaining access to it.

I'd be willing to bet that if I followed 90+% of the people that carried open...at some point during their day I would have their weapon if my goal was to take it/ AKA remove it from their person.

That would include the firearm being housed in a holster with a retaining strap.

As usual...just my personal opinion and I am only putting it "out there" as nothing more than my personal opinion.
    Take it for what it's worth.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    LOL QK i used to supprise officers with the latest renention holsters during training as to just how insecure thier firearm is . Retention like safety is mostly between the ears , but one of the Redneck Rules is a gun unseen is a gun un grabbed .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Well I type to slow. Ya beat me too it. I'm leaving my post anyway

Probably a really, really, really good reason why LEO departements require uniformed open carry to have a good high level retention holster. The officer in Wally World still seems to get his hand real close to his firearm when I get near.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

I've posted here many times that I only carry open when I enter a restaurant that serves alcohol (can't carry concealed in Virginia in those establishments). I have always used an IWB holster and just tuck the cover shirt in behind the gun's butt to expose it. Sitting down in a restaurant, I don't feel too vulnerable to someone grabbing it, but I feel paranoid about it on those rare occasions that I have open carried elsewhere. I'm now shopping for a paddle holster with a retention device so I can at least partially eleviate that problem.

with a retention device
    To me that simplify the shopping , since a thumbsnap and whats between your ears is the best you can buy . The thumbsnap will keep the pistol in the holster while you put it on and off , whats between your ears will while you wear it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Re the live link vid " NOTE: This media item is queued for approval" no vid yet .

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Re the live link vid " NOTE: This media item is queued for approval" no vid yet .
    Click refresh in your browser...that should work

Sponsored Links