Iowa CCW list published

Iowa CCW list published

This is a discussion on Iowa CCW list published within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Edited.. the addresses of cops who have permits was not published.. sheriff's office refused to release that data. I'm going to guess that they didn't ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iowa CCW list published

Iowa CCW list published

Edited.. the addresses of cops who have permits was not published.. sheriff's office refused to release that data. I'm going to guess that they didn't release the names, because it may be dangerous for the officer. Hmm.. is it not dangerous to list the address of someone who is trying to remain hidden from a dangerous stalker, abusive ex.. etc?

http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pb.../70324001/1079
    Last edited by jednp; March 27th, 2007 at 02:13 PM.

Unbelievable. Didn't anybody in the press pay attention to what happened in Virginia? Stupidity isn't being dumb, it's not learning from mistakes and experiences.

Angry

I just emailed the paper. I did not get involved in the VA CCW database publication, but have picked up the torch now. Here is a copy of the email I just sent the paper.

Very irresponsible use of your pulication. The same situation just occurred in VA. The Roanoke Times recently published an article in response to objections to doing what you have just done. Here is the link

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/wb/110214

"Lessons learned in database incident. More discussion and thought should have gone into the decision to publish a database of concealed carry holders in the state."

Please take the time to seriously consider what you have just done. Serious reporting does not give you the right to endager peoples lives.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Here's mine

Do you have a list of people in Johnson County that keep large sums of money in their house, too? Maybe you could post that list next to be even more helpful to criminals. What's my point? Sure, criminals now know the names and addresses of people who exercises their right to defend themselves but, and here's the catch, now they also know who doesn't.

Highly irresponsible. Shame on you.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Unbelievable to even release the names of people who have licenses although they sure protected the law enforcement community. Steve48

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    What is the Sheriff's dept doing releasing the data anyway? This is not supposed to be public data.

Possibility of a lawsuit?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    What is the Sheriff's dept doing releasing the data anyway? This is not supposed to be public data.

Possibility of a lawsuit?
    It is my understanding that IA has an "open information" law. This sort of thing could have happened at any time.

Maybe there is a chance that Iowans can now address the "may issue" CCW provisions of their law.

I am REALLY glad I am a FORMER Iowa resident....

What's funny is CCW in Iowa has been a non issue for a long time. Now since Nebraska passed CCW, stores in Council Bluffs that never had to have "no guns" signs, have to have them now because they are owned by someone in Nebraska.

Virginia publishes lists of CCW permit holders, so Iowa thinks.. hey.. we want to be activist journalists too and try to make a statement by doing something dangerous and wrong.

People need to pull their heads out of their butts and quit treating permit holders like they are criminals needing to be feared. Why the hell don't they publish lists of people and their addresses.. who have comitted felonies, robberies, burglaries, stalking, etc?

Oh yeah.. I know why... because we gun owners are suppose to give those people what they want... and if we don't.. WE'RE the bad guys and we caused problems.

VIP Member
    This stuff gets my blood boiling. I too emailed them..........

Vile....absolutely vile... How stupid can a group of people be?!

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    What do they say is the reason for publishing the list?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Email sent from way over here in NY state...

After finding your published list of concealed weapon permit holders I am appalled. It is totally irresponsible. The people on that list are responsible, law abiding citizens interested in protecting their wellbeing and are not a danger to the public. They have all taken the proper steps to legally arm themselves. By publishing this list you are endangering everyone on it. If any one of those people were to be a victim because you published their address and name I hope it comes back on you. Why would you publish this list of responsible citizens instead of choosing to publish a list of people who have demonstrated that they are a threat to society? There are plenty of sex offenders and convicted felons out there for you to expose. Or is it that you are afraid that the real criminals may respond differently than emailing you or posting responses on your website? I encourage you to remove the list to protect the people on it from becoming the victim because of your irresponsible actions.

A concerned supporter of the second amendment,
    xxxx xxxxxxxx

there should be a class action lawsuit (reckless endangerment) for every ccw'er that gets robbed or assaulted. Put the rag out of business, enough said. We have rights too you know!!
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    What do they say is the reason for publishing the list?
    don't know yet.. I guess they listed the # of permits issued last year, how many permits they had compared to the entire state.. that info is fine.. just like was said on nranews.com on the Cam Edwards show.. they didn't need to publish names and address. He did give them a call to see if the reporter would want to be on the show to talk about it. He didn't get a hold of the reporter, so he's going to call back tomorrow. He's going to ask why it was published.

What I can tell you from the VA episode is that the reporter who did the story is now a stranger in his own country. He has been under 24/7 police "protection" (the Christiansburg Police are publicly angry at him). He can't leave his house, he can't go to work, he is a victim of his own making. The Roanoke Times, while frantically trying to justify the publication, understands that it is under tremendous public and litigeous scrutiny. They are "girding up their loins" for a major battle.

Understand, People, Virginia is the LAST PLACE ON EARTH you want to pick, to pick on gun owners! (Look what's happening to Bloomberg.)
    This certainly means the end of Trejbal in his birth-community, and will likely mean the end of the Roanoke Times. At least under it's current, liberal ownership.

The guy did it under the guise of, "Freedom of Information". It has turned out to be his undoing. The people of Central VA have certain beliefs and traditions, which will not allow them to abide such transgressions.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links